Steve Johnson and big moments

vegas55

Before committing huge money to Johnson some consideration has to be given to disturbing signs of him coming up "small" at huge moments. The Pittsburg drop is an obvious one, but the "drop" on Sunday is just as disturbing. Regardless what you think of refs call, if that's a catch, Bills win. They could have at least killed enough time to not allow a Bengals final drive. But the situation was the Bills needed just one yard to pick up the first down. As Johnson receives the ball he easily has the first down He then makes the horrendous decision to secure the ball with one arm/hand while using the other arm to brace his fall!! Look at the play closely. Why in the world is he not wrapping the ball up with two hands/arms, and what is the need to use your other arm to brace your fall to the turf. Terrible play, in many ways worse than the Pittsburg drop. A three yard pass to win the game, and our Stevie decides to one arm it and give the refs the chance to call it the wrong way. Coming up small in the biggest moments makes the a commitment of big money an iffy proposition.

I don't know about this thread. Identify the game that we've won since Fitz took over that Stevie Johnson wasn't an indispensable component of. The Raiders and Patriots straight up couldn't stop him, even though he's playing hurt. They were both huge comebacks, so the pressure was definitely on. The Pats win was the biggest in the last 5 years. The Pittsburgh drop aside, he's been a beast.

There's not a single game we've won in that span that would have been a victory if Stevie didn't play.

Pay the man!

We've found out two things from this thread ...

1. Vegas55 might be the dumbest Bills fan and might need to be cut or traded (I've seen spags and you and him would be great Jets fans together).

2. Steve Johnson is the furthest thing from the problem on this team.

PS I know we lost to a sub par team last week, but it's ONE loss. None of us would have bet serious cash on the Bills going 3-0, so they went 3-0 and a hick-up aided with a bad call and lose a game. I know the Bills played horrible but at the least we know this team can win on their worst days. I think we chill out realize this is the best team we've had in a long time, and stop with the witch trials trying to figure out who are the bad players on this team. If we finish .500 it's a good season, if we go to the playoffs that f'ing awesome. So lets drop all the stupid talk, enjoy our winning team and show why Buffalo has the best fans and is the best F'ing pro-football town in the world.

We've found out two things from this thread ...

1. Vegas55 might be the dumbest Bills fan and might need to be cut or traded (I've seen spags and you and him would be great Jets fans together).

2. Steve Johnson is the furthest thing from the problem on this team.

PS I know we lost to a sub par team last week, but it's ONE loss. None of us would have bet serious cash on the Bills going 3-0, so they went 3-0 and a hick-up aided with a bad call and lose a game. I know the Bills played horrible but at the least we know this team can win on their worst days. I think we chill out realize this is the best team we've had in a long time, and stop with the witch trials trying to figure out who are the bad players on this team. If we finish .500 it's a good season, if we go to the playoffs that f'ing awesome. So lets drop all the stupid talk, enjoy our winning team and show why Buffalo has the best fans and is the best F'ing pro-football town in the world.

quoted for truth.

I don't know about this thread. Identify the game that we've won since Fitz took over that Stevie Johnson wasn't an indispensable component of. The Raiders and Patriots straight up couldn't stop him, even though he's playing hurt. They were both huge comebacks, so the pressure was definitely on. The Pats win was the biggest in the last 5 years. The Pittsburgh drop aside, he's been a beast.

There's not a single game we've won in that span that would have been a victory if Stevie didn't play.

Pay the man!

I woud argue the Patriots win was the biggest single win since Jim Kelly hung up his cleats.

1) The Bills have had zero postseason wins since Kelly retired, so it's not like there are a lot of postseason wins from which to choose.

2) The Bills have only been to the playoffs twice since Kelly's retirement. I don't recall any one game standing out above the others during those two playoff seasons.

3) The Lawyer Milloy Bowl was an anomaly, a flash in the pan, a gift handed to the Bills because of the Patriots' disenfranchisement at their defensive captain being cut a week before the start of the season. The recent victory over the Pats was a straight-up win. I'll take the latter over the former any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

4) The recent win over the Pats broke a long losing streak to someone who'd dominated us for nearly a decade. You can't really say that about any of the other Bills wins in the post-Kelly era.

Terrible post. This whole thread is based on faulty logic blaming stevie for a drop that was in fact a catch . We can't control the refs and its not stevies fault the call was blown

I wouldn't go quite as far as this. I think the OP's point was that, while it was indeed a catch, a perfect receiver would have caught the ball with both hands, thereby making it 100% crystal clear to the refs that it really was a catch.

He's correct to assert that Stevie isn't a perfect receiver. But then again, neither is anyone else. To me the bottom line is that Stevie did make the catch in that situation, just as he's done in plenty of other situations. He's clearly the best WR on this team. Once you start letting your draft day success stories go first-contract-and-out, you start treading water! :angry: Players like Stevie Johnson are exactly the kinds of players the Bills need to hold onto over the long-term if they're going to improve!

Vegas55 do you even know where Steve Johnson ranks in Bills Receiver History? I know you don't and I'm going to educate you on some Buffalo Bills knowledge before I send you off to route for a lame Jets.

Stevie is ranked 28th in all time receiving yards for the Bills and is three yards from beating out Roscoe for 27th place. He will at the least 27th this weekend if not 26th.

Steve Johnson is ranked 8th in season total receiving yards. He only started one game before 2010, and beat any of Andre Reed's first three season totals. Plus Andre started all of his first three years except one game. Reed also had two fumbles in his first and second year. Johnson has one. Johnson is doing very well and could possibly have the Bills Top receiving yard for any season this year.

I woud argue the Patriots win was the biggest single win since Jim Kelly hung up his cleats.

1) The Bills have had zero postseason wins since Kelly retired, so it's not like there are a lot of postseason wins from which to choose.

2) The Bills have only been to the playoffs twice since Kelly's retirement. I don't recall any one game standing out above the others during those two playoff seasons.

3) The Lawyer Milloy Bowl was an anomaly, a flash in the pan, a gift handed to the Bills because of the Patriots' disenfranchisement at their defensive captain being cut a week before the start of the season. The recent victory over the Pats was a straight-up win. I'll take the latter over the former any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

4) The recent win over the Pats broke a long losing streak to someone who'd dominated us for nearly a decade. You can't really say that about any of the other Bills wins in the post-Kelly era.

While all good points, I thought this was a Stevie Johnson thread??

Before committing huge money to Johnson some consideration has to be given to disturbing signs of him coming up "small" at huge moments. The Pittsburg drop is an obvious one, but the "drop" on Sunday is just as disturbing. Regardless what you think of refs call, if that's a catch, Bills win. They could have at least killed enough time to not allow a Bengals final drive. But the situation was the Bills needed just one yard to pick up the first down. As Johnson receives the ball he easily has the first down He then makes the horrendous decision to secure the ball with one arm/hand while using the other arm to brace his fall!! Look at the play closely. Why in the world is he not wrapping the ball up with two hands/arms, and what is the need to use your other arm to brace your fall to the turf. Terrible play, in many ways worse than the Pittsburg drop. A three yard pass to win the game, and our Stevie decides to one arm it and give the refs the chance to call it the wrong way. Coming up small in the biggest moments makes the a commitment of big money an iffy proposition.

First, your assessment of his "one arming" the ball and giving the ref a chance to blow the call is nutso.

So you suggest what? Ignore all the big plays that he made, don't pay him, let him go somewhere else, piss off the team and create dissension in the ranks, and create another hole to fill by the draft? We have such a great track record drafting WRs, sure, let’s get rid of the best one we have. Great idea.

IT WAS A CATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without Stevie Johnson, we're not even in that game. He did what he had to do, and the refs screwed him out of the catch.

This is what drives me crazy. WTF was he supposed to go other than what he did do, which is catch a low pass? Overrule the ref?

Of course the replies to the original post, as usual, completely miss the point. Talk about the rabid, single minded fan. It was a catch, I agree, but that misses the point. And I am sure a Bengals fan would be just as adamant if the call had been overturned by the replay. The point was that your hero, Stevie, made the huge blunder of using one arm to brace his fall instead of securing the ball with both arms, thereby giving the refs that opportunity to make that call. Horrible mistake on his part, just like is drop against the Steelers. But none of the low iq responses even touch the main point, that is why Stevie needs to brace his fall more than secure the ball. Explain that

I did not say he should not be re signed, I just pointed out his disturbing habit of making bone head mistakes in big situations should give anyone pause in deciding to hand out huge dollars to him rather than a potential free agent. He has done some great things as a receiver, I agree. But I cannot imagine a Wes Welker bumbling away a ball in either of those situations.

If Stevie does secure the ball with both hands and gets his shoulders driven into the ground and breaks his collarbone, you'd probably be saying he should have protected himself in that situation because he's too valuable to lose over a 3 yard play.

Ya this is the worst post ever.......Stevie is the best player we have had in years..........Can we kick vegas55 off of this site? Go hop on the Lions site or sumthin........brutal how off based this is......I guess you missed all the perfect routes Stevie has ran over the past 4 weeks........just reeeeedeeeeekulousness to want to not sign him....

Of course the replies to the original post, as usual, completely miss the point. Talk about the rabid, single minded fan. It was a catch, I agree, but that misses the point. And I am sure a Bengals fan would be just as adamant if the call had been overturned by the replay. The point was that your hero, Stevie, made the huge blunder of using one arm to brace his fall instead of securing the ball with both arms, thereby giving the refs that opportunity to make that call. Horrible mistake on his part, just like is drop against the Steelers. But none of the low iq responses even touch the main point, that is why Stevie needs to brace his fall more than secure the ball. Explain that

I did not say he should not be re signed, I just pointed out his disturbing habit of making bone head mistakes in big situations should give anyone pause in deciding to hand out huge dollars to him rather than a potential free agent. He has done some great things as a receiver, I agree. But I cannot imagine a Wes Welker bumbling away a ball in either of those situations.

A habit? Surely then you are brimming with examples. Thus far you've cited the drop vs Pitt and the "catch" vs Cincy. Even if we're generous and agree that he made a mistake in Cincy, thats a whopping two examples in twenty games.

Regardless, the Bills at this point have far too many players who hardly show up at all to be worrying about who is showing up in "big moments."