Proof: No reason to worry about our performance against the Bengals

saundena

AGREED!!! There is no single impact player that is a terror. That is why all of this talk about George Edwards is so utterly a waste of time :)

Well...yes and no. Much like Chan has done for the offensive side of the ball, it's all about maximizing the level of talent you do have. Player for player, we're light years away from the offensive talent on some other teams. Yet, we were able to lead the league in scoring through three weeks. On defense, however, I don't get the impression that we're putting these guys in the right sort of scheme to maximize their talent level. In the case of the 1990's SB era Bills, you could play any scheme you like and those superior talents would probably find a way to get it done. In the case of this current squad, what are we doing for these guys? Exposing the DBs with a lack of QB pressure. Zero (or seemingly zero) blitzing. Something needs to be done...

At the end of the day, we are a talented that still needs one more off season to make a serious push for deep playoffs. We're not going to revert to the 2008 Bills. I think our performance at the end of last year and this year proved that. Thoughts?

GO BILLS!

I agree somewhat - I think we're still a season away from 19-0...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

18 and 1 baby!!!!! B-)

The Bengals have a tough defense and the Bills are a work in progress on both sides of the ball (especially defense). It's no big surprise that they lost. At least they didn't get blown out.

Bottom line; they are showing up and competing every week. They may not win them all, they may not even win enough to go to the playoffs. But at least they will go down swinging.

Zero (or seemingly zero) blitzing. Something needs to be done...

He obviously knows that McKelvin one on one with anyone is usually a disaster deep, and so maybe he's saying we have NO confidence in letting our corners match up man to man with no safety help?

He obviously knows that McKelvin one on one with anyone is usually a disaster deep, and so maybe he's saying we have NO confidence in letting our corners match up man to man with no safety help?

I just feel like you're doing guys like McKelvin (and most average to subpar DBs) a huge disservice when you allow the QB to sit back there, pressure-free, for 7 seconds to launch a perfect deep ball or pick apart the zone coverage. And, besides, how many times have we seen it this season where even when there is safety help on a deep ball that NEITHER player makes the play!? With that in mind, it's time to start sending the dogs (no pun intended) after the QB, beginning this week with Vick. He's porcelain as it is, so another few hits might do the trick!

I just feel like you're doing guys like McKelvin (and most average to subpar DBs) a huge disservice when you allow the QB to sit back there, pressure-free, for 7 seconds to launch a perfect deep ball or pick apart the zone coverage. And, besides, how many times have we seen it this season where even when there is safety help on a deep ball that NEITHER player makes the play!? With that in mind, it's time to start sending the dogs (no pun intended) after the QB, beginning this week with Vick. He's porcelain as it is, so another few hits might do the trick!

I recall years of football analysis showing that blitzing Vick leads to massive runs, and that teams were neutralizing him by running 1 or 2 spies at the linebacker spot. Has he forgotten how to evade blitzers and make huge gains down the field? He seems to be taking a beating lately, but has that come from blitzes or 4-man pressure with good coverage?

I recall years of football analysis showing that blitzing Vick leads to massive runs, and that teams were neutralizing him by running 1 or 2 spies at the linebacker spot. Has he forgotten how to evade blitzers and make huge gains down the field? He seems to be taking a beating lately, but has that come from blitzes or 4-man pressure with good coverage?

Maybe teams spied him in Atl, but nobody does anymore. Their weapons at the skill positions will kill you if you waste a defender on that. The Giants are not a big blitz team but the Vikings and Packers blitzed the crap out of him at the end of last year w/ pretty good success. Of course 4man pressure is always preferable (not the Bills strength clearly).