Blake's Breakdown: Bengals in Week 4.

blakesbills16

Hey Bills fans!

Every Thursday at buddynixon.com we will be featuring my breakdown article.

I'll go in depth and try to conclude my most accurate prediction for the Bills opponent of that week.

This week's article is up, here is the link:

http://www.buddynixon.com/game-coverage/blakes-breakdown-bills-vs-bengals-in-week-4

As a communication major at UB, I really appreciate the reads, but most of all... the feedback! So please, don't hold back on your comments! I may be considering journalism as a career so your tips and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks and GO BILLS!

Edited by blakesbills16

Hey Bills fans!

I'll go in depth and try to conclude my most accurate prediction for the Bills opponent of that week.

http://www.buddynixo....gals-in-week-4

As a communication major at UB, I really appreciate the reads, but most of all... the feedback! So please, don't hold back on your comments! I may be considering journalism as a career so your tips and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks and GO BILLS!

Sorry, the page your requested could not be found, or no longer exists. :oops:

Sorry, the page your requested could not be found, or no longer exists. :oops:

The link doesn't work for you? Works for me... try again!

The link doesn't work for you? Works for me... try this:

http://www.buddynixon.com/game-coverage/blakes-breakdown-bills-vs-bengals-in-week-4

Also, it could be that our editor is having another look at it... which may cause some problems with it loading at the current moment.

the page opened fine for me. decent analysis. if you were aiming for objectivity, i think you'll have to tone down the fandom a wee bit but solid writing nonetheless.

Yea I can see how I'm coming off as overly optimistic, but I'm sold that this Bengals team is quite poor.

Appreciate the compliments though! :thumbsup:

Edited by blakesbills16

Hey Bills fans!

http://www.buddynixon.com/game-coverage/blakes-breakdown-bills-vs-bengals-in-week-4'>http://www.buddynixon.com/game-coverage/blakes-breakdown-bills-vs-bengals-in-week-4

Thanks and GO BILLS!

Its a good article and all, but you might get some grief for using the forum for promoting your blog. Try putting the link in your sig instead.

Hey Bills fans!

Thanks and GO BILLS!

Its a good article and all, but you might get some grief for using the forum for promoting your blog. Try putting the link in your sig instead.

I did not know this.. thanks for the tip.

Not our fault man! Sorry you're experiencing so many troubles, but the website is really flawless and smooth for me and any other computer I view it on.

Alright, brother...well written & hard to argue any of your points. Stats are stats, but the only important ones to me are points for and points against. Those are, IMHO, the truest testament to ranking a teams O & D. I would have given a more relative comparison of O vs. D for each team, as well as how the D's faired against the opposing O's.

Example: For being less known than the Bills' unit, Cinci's O is not as bad as they appear. They're averaging something like 19.5 PPG against the # 4, 14 & 15 ranked Defenses (according to the PA logic above). Conversely, the Bills are averaging, as you stated, 37.7 PPG, but using the same D ranking logic, it's against the # 27, 28 & 32 (LAST) ranked D's.

To your point about Cinci's D....They're WAY overrated...flip the script on my rankings logic and they're holding the opposing offenses, ranked 16, 23 & 12 respectively, to 18 PPG. We're only giving up 6 more PPG against the 32, 6, & 2nd ranked O's. Cinci's point differential is +1 while the Bills' is +13.

Here's MY key to this game: Take the effing leash off of the D!! Call some stinkn' blitzes and get after the "Red Rifle," as if he's done anything to garner such a nick-name...I'll stick with "Ginger Pop Gun," until otherwise proven wrong.

Also, don't be afraid to stir up some controversy...Like, if Edwards doesn't get his sh*t together, he needs to get fired!! I don't care if we're winning! A professional organization should ALWAYS being looking to improve and the defensive scheme this team has been running S U C K S!

There, I feel better!

Alright, brother...well written & hard to argue any of your points. Stats are stats, but the only important ones to me are points for and points against. Those are, IMHO, the truest testament to ranking a teams O & D. I would have given a more relative comparison of O vs. D for each team, as well as how the D's faired against the opposing O's.

Example: For being less known than the Bills' unit, Cinci's O is not as bad as they appear. They're averaging something like 19.5 PPG against the # 4, 14 & 15 ranked Defenses (according to the PA logic above). Conversely, the Bills are averaging, as you stated, 37.7 PPG, but using the same D ranking logic, it's against the # 27, 28 & 32 (LAST) ranked D's.

To your point about Cinci's D....They're WAY overrated...flip the script on my rankings logic and they're holding the opposing offenses, ranked 16, 23 & 12 respectively, to 18 PPG. We're only giving up 6 more PPG against the 32, 6, & 2nd ranked O's. Cinci's point differential is +1 while the Bills' is +13.

Here's MY key to this game: Take the effing leash off of the D!! Call some stinkn' blitzes and get after the "Red Rifle," as if he's done anything to garner such a nick-name...I'll stick with "Ginger Pop Gun," until otherwise proven wrong.

Also, don't be afraid to stir up some controversy...Like, if Edwards doesn't get his sh*t together, he needs to get fired!! I don't care if we're winning! A professional organization should ALWAYS being looking to improve and the defensive scheme this team has been running S U C K S!

There, I feel better!

Good points, and thanks for your input. I agree with the Edwards topic... if he doesn't get his act together and generate a pass rush somehow, someway soon... he could be out of the job.

Nice review

The main reason buffalo will win is the Bengals can't convert third downs (2-21 last two weeks) and the Bills can.

The Bengals will slow us down, Zimmer is a great D coordinator, But Gruden can't make Dalton score 35 points, which is what they will need to have a shot

I'm glad you brought up that 3rd down conversion statistic... I intended on adding that into those "quick facts" at the bottom of the article but it slipped my mind, I knew I was missing something :wallbash:

But yea, it's a very telling stat, and when you can't convert on 3rd down your team really struggles. Us Bills fan should know this all-too-well.

Cincinnati's defense is as advertised. I don't buy the fact that they played two weaker teams, because even the 49ers and Broncos have played close games each week. Cleveland was supposed to win at home, but someone forgot to tell the Bengals defense that, and they had a healthy Hillis Week 1.

I was overly optimistic about the Raiders, but this week I am VERY reserved about this game... I don't like the placement of it after a huge emotional win and frankly it is such a classic trap game that you can throw the statistics out the window. Andy Dalton is not playing like a rookie, and they have Benson this week. I would have predicted a TD or less margin of victory, but hey, at least your analysis was very well done!!

I'm glad you brought up that 3rd down conversion statistic... I intended on adding that into those "quick facts" at the bottom of the article but it slipped my mind, I knew I was missing something :wallbash:

But yea, it's a very telling stat, and when you can't convert on 3rd down your team really struggles. Us Bills fan should know this all-too-well.

No worries mate. Still a nice review. I wish i had the time to do stuff like that but alas that whole school work thing takes up most of my time

No worries mate. Still a nice review. I wish i had the time to do stuff like that but alas that whole school work thing takes up most of my time

Oh trust me, I know ALL about that lol. This is pretty much what I do with my free time now... that and induce copious amounts of "beverages" on the weekend.

Cincinnati's defense is as advertised. I don't buy the fact that they played two weaker teams, because even the 49ers and Broncos have played close games each week. Cleveland was supposed to win at home, but someone forgot to tell the Bengals defense that, and they had a healthy Hillis Week 1.

I was overly optimistic about the Raiders, but this week I am VERY reserved about this game... I don't like the placement of it after a huge emotional win and frankly it is such a classic trap game that you can throw the statistics out the window. Andy Dalton is not playing like a rookie, and they have Benson this week. I would have predicted a TD or less margin of victory, but hey, at least your analysis was very well done!!

In years past I would completely agree; however, this is a different group of guys with zero ego, a hard work ethic and a HUGE chip on their shoulder. I think they come out this week with even more to prove and it has the makings of a great game.

In years past I would completely agree; however, this is a different group of guys with zero ego, a hard work ethic and a HUGE chip on their shoulder. I think they come out this week with even more to prove and it has the makings of a great game.

My point exactly... because of these factors, the issue of this being a "trap-game" for them is non-existent.