Do the bills have the best O-line in the NFL?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted the line played great the first three games, no drive killing penalties like with Jauron's teams, only allowed one sack.....but best in the league...time will tell.

Have the Bills played a top defense yet, or even a bad one with a good pass rush?

Patriots-last in the NFL at 32...even Chad Henne and the 0-3 Dolphins put up 400+ passing yards on them

Raiders-27th...allowed Mark Sanchez to throw for 369 yards

Chiefs-22nd with 27 points for and 107 against, At 0-3 the worst team in the league. along with Miami-Minnesota-St Louis.

NFN, but howabout waiting a few weeks to ask this question again as it looks like a much tougher road ahead. Cincy is currently #3 in the NFL in total defense. The Eagles and NY Giants don't have great defenses but they are both in the top 15. The Redskins with Orakpo-The Cowboys with Ware- Titans #1 defense right now.

Lets hope the "dumpster divers" can keep playing great :lol:

On a side note, with Miami sucking at 0-3 the Jets and Patriots not playing great defense this year just could leave that AFC East door open

Best O Line??? Seriously, we are playing better but we are only three games in. Let's continue to enjoy the ride but there is no joy if we do not make the playoffs.

The stat I heard this weekend which interests me the most is the one says says in the upper 70% of teams which go 3-0 make the playoffs that year.

As one who lived through the debaxle year where we started out 4-0 and utterly failed to even ge close to playoff ready this stat is merely a stat, but I am happy to hope for but await the gaining of a playoff berth before I declare even adequacy for any unit on this team.

This does not stop me from having the usual fan dreams of 16-0 right now (hey both of our major league sports teams are undefeated right now).

As far as the OL goes I am pleasantly surprised because I figured that they were a gppd uear and a half away fro adequacy due to the need for adequacy.

I am overjoyed to wromg so far!

to the OP. Ha..... ha, ha. thats funny. a couple weeks in preseason we didn't know who the offensive line was going to be!

Well they sure responded to something and are performing very well indeed. Inspired i feel able to say.

But best? no darn way. We are running an offense catering to our players right now and our system is making our Offense look like world beaters.

And hell yes!

But these guys "front five " might very well become one of those elite lines in time if this trend continues.

One thing that makes me think this, both offense and defense is that we are testing indidvidual players. Leaving them on an island its called maybe.

Usually reffered to CB we are doing that all over the field. The offensive line really has not used much chipping unless Fitz sees a need.

The DL has not had blitz packages or even serious hints of one coming. no tricks. kind of boring looks for the opposing offense.

Its not quite basic football fundamentals of course but it sure appears that way. And we are doing a pretty good job all a round.

But to the Op and our O line. Pretty damn good work up there fellas, pretty damn solid indeed

i recall that Kanas city had that D end lining up on Bell. And i watched believe me. He did not get the sack till they gave up and moved him over Pears.

and Pears learned from that.

The stat I heard this weekend which interests me the most is the one says says in the upper 70% of teams which go 3-0 make the playoffs that year.

As one who lived through the debaxle year where we started out 4-0 and utterly failed to even ge close to playoff ready this stat is merely a stat, but I am happy to hope for but await the gaining of a playoff berth before I declare even adequacy for any unit on this team.

This does not stop me from having the usual fan dreams of 16-0 right now (hey both of our major league sports teams are undefeated right now).

As far as the OL goes I am pleasantly surprised because I figured that they were a gppd uear and a half away fro adequacy due to the need for adequacy.

I am overjoyed to wromg so far!

Yea, tell that to jauron and his 3-0 2008 team

Its a long season and anything can happen, I think we should ask the question about the O line at week 8, as 1/2 way thru the season should be a better indicator how how the team will fare the rest of the way.

Let's just hope we get to see Chan Gaileys version of the "greatest show on snow" :D

There is so much praise going to Fitzy and Steve and Jackson and they deserve it but Fitzy is the least sacked QB in the League! he has been sacked 1 time in three games with throwing 111 times. The next closest is Jason Campbell with 2 sacks and he has only thrown 82 passes. even Brady has been sacked 3 times. Teams also knew that we were going to be passing in two of the games because of the amount we were trailing by.

not even close. but they aren't awful like so many claimed.

No the Bills do not have the best O-line. We are not close to having the best O-line. What we do have is a QB and a scheme that is predicated on getting the ball out so quickly that the line almost doesn't have a chance to fail as long as they don't get pre-snap penalties.

The running game is a different story in that the O-line has a much greater impact in my opinion compared to the passing game. That being said the threat of the pass, the play calling and the scheme are also helping out quite a bit.

Good start for them but let's not get carried away!

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I think the BILLS have the best scheme and execution through the first 3 weeks. The OLine is certainly a part of that.

I no longer fear them imploding. In fact, I have extreme confidence in them in short yardage situations (the glaring exception is Chandler, who is 50/50 on handling his blocking responsibility). That's quite a departure from the past.

What he said.

I'd say that according to all metrics, we indeed, thus far have the best O-Line in the NFL, and if not, then who's better? We have the third best rusher, second best rushing offense, and 1 sack. Yes, Ftizy moves the ball consistently under 3 seconds, but last time I checked how fast your QB got rid of the ball wasn't part of the measurement.. :)

Tim-

I don't know why anyone is so shocked. They were an average line last year and Bell, Wood and Levitre have had another year to grow. Aside from a couple shaky preseason performances, there was no reason to think they wouldn't be at least average again. Yes they are exceeding expectations, but they were already decent. Anyone who was saying otherwise was a lot like these people who have 8 bumper stickers declaring Obama the worst president of all-time, but couldn't tell you one reason they think he's a poor president.

Kool-Aid drinker.

:)

Yes, MANY posters here talked about the fact that Wood and Bell couldn't do any strength training last year as they recovered from their injuries AND the fact that both players were given Wednesdays off from practice to simply rest, AND that the Bills O-line was one of the youngest in the league, AND that the O-line would be in the 2nd year in the system.

But we were shouted down by "the realists." Many if not most of "the realists" couldn't concede these very simple and credible points.

Based on these observations, I would put them easily in the top 5. How do you measure a superior line? Well, the above is an excellent indicator. None of the starters are the tops at their position but it is the way they are working together along with the scheme that makes their whole greater than the sum of their parts. Cliche city but true.

Ok, so then all seem to agree we're pretty good but nowhere near the best. Well, who's better, and exactly how are you basing your opinion on it? What measurments are you using?

So who's better?

Tim-

If we don't have the best than who does? Not saying we do I'm just curious what team is acknowledged as #1.

Everyone keeps opining but no one wants to answer the obvious question which has been posited numerous times by different posters (above) in this thread.

Coming into the season, one would have probably said that the Jets had the best O-line in football. The CHEATING BASTARDS*** are also considered to have a good offensive line.

It seems like Detroit has a decent line with a good mix of young vets.

In truth, we are not in an era of great offensive lines, nor have we been for some time.

Since the advent of free agency, the volatility of rosters has prevented the long-term gelling of O-lines which used to be more common.

It's very hard to keep the same 5 guys together for more than 2 years. And the Bills will be challenged to keep this group together.

Demetrius Bell is an unrestricted free agent after THIS season. So is Chad Rinehart. So is Eric Pears. So is Scott Chandler. Kraig Urbik will be a restricted free agent after this year. Andy Levitre's contract expires at the end of next season.

Eric Wood's contract expires at the end of the 2013 season.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Lets be honest, the Patriots have the best OL by a WIDE margain. F'ing girly Brady stood locked kneed and flat footed before tossing that one TD pass to Welker. I've never seen any other QB do that, ever, and Brady does it every week. The time that guy has had his entire career is just astonishing. Forget that Kelsay (Merriman ahs another which stands out) should have drawn 5+ flags for extremly obvious holdings....

I was thinking about this thread today at work and I realized that probably Oakland has one of the top, up-and-coming O-lines in the league.

Obviously they run the ball real well and their pass pro looked pretty good against us.

So if it's treated as a given that The Cheating Bastards***. the Jets, and the Raiders are Top 3…

I was thinking about this thread today at work and I realized that probably Oakland has one of the top, up-and-coming O-lines in the league.

Obviously they run the ball real well and their pass pro looked pretty good against us.

So if it's treated as a given that The Cheating Bastards***. the Jets, and the Raiders are Top 3…

Come on bud, we have to be in the top three and you should know who was okay with our oline.....

Come on bud, we have to be in the top three and you should know who was okay with our oline…

I'm not gonna rank them right now but I was totally fine with our O-line entering the season and posted as much.

I posted some variation of this numerous times: "Wood and Bell couldn't do any strength training last year as they recovered from their injuries AND both players were given Wednesdays off from practice to simply rest their injuries, AND the Bills O-line was one of the youngest in the league, AND the O-line is just entering their 2nd year in the system."

But we were shouted down by "the realists." Many if not most of "the realists" couldn't concede these very simple and credible points.

Rather than rank them, I'm encouraging people to brainstorm to see what lines can actually claim to be as good or better than the Bills.

Based on reputation, there are two teams (Cheating Bastards***, Jets).

Based on performance, 1 or 2 other teams (Raiders, Lions) can make the argument that they're as good as the Bills O-line.

No one else if offering suggestions so I guess that indicates that the Bills are at worst, Top 5.

People can try to deny this but if they can't name teams, their opinions are meaningless (IMO).