1949 Bills Logo

JPicc2114

I've always loved that old logo - wish the Bills would somehow incorporate it into their uniforms, or at least their merchandize/signage/marketing/etc.

(Also always thought KRC should give seminars on the history of the Bills and the old AAFC - I've learned a ton from reading Ken's posts and other work. :thumbsup: )

Wow. That was horrible. But hey, it's better than this:

If you think that's funny, check out this

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/547639-the-120-worst-logos-of-all-time/page/14

BTW, worst logo of all time

6872.gif

The gun in his right hand looks like a bottle, which makes sense because he looks crazy and drunk in the picture. Maybe they should have been named the "San Fransisco Dolphins Fans"

Halas voted against it because he did not want a 14-team league. Reeves, Tony Morabito, Halas and Ray Bennigsen (Chicago Cardinals) voted no to Buffalo's admission into the NFL. Halas did not have it in for Buffalo. According to the rules of the time, he won the 1921 title legitimately. Whether it was ethical is another story. There was no official end to the season back then. Therefore, he continued to play until he had the necessary record. Buffalo's problem was that they scheduled two games in subsequent days, with the last game being against Chicago. Stupid move on their part.

From my understanding the second game was to be considered a scrimmage/exhibition and wasn't supposed to count against the the All-Americans record. Halas after the fact petitioned to have the game count as a game and succeeded. This states a case for Halas being a total d-bag. I also believe that part of his appeal was stating that the second game should count more, which is why the Staleys stole the title away. The APFA needed to be more organized than it was as the city of Buffalo was screwed.

From my understanding the second game was to be considered a scrimmage/exhibition and wasn't supposed to count against the the All-Americans record. Halas after the fact petitioned to have the game count as a game and succeeded. This states a case for Halas being a total d-bag. I also believe that part of his appeal was stating that the second game should count more, which is why the Staleys stole the title away. The APFA needed to be more organized than it was as the city of Buffalo was screwed.

Buffalo was the only one who thought it was a scrimmage, because they claimed themselves as champions. Nobody else in the league thought that was the case. As I mentioned, there was no "end of the season." Therefore, the second game counted. Hell, non-league games counted.

As far as Halas' claim of the second game counting more than the first, that was standard practice well before 1921.

My Uncles name was Tommy Colella. He played RB and DB and punted.

He was from Albion New York. My Aunt is STILL alive at 93 and STILL gets pension from the NFL. Crazy

I grew up in Albion, NY and received my life long love for the Bills from an uncle of mine who passed away this Spring. Nice to hear your story and find a common connection to Albion. Go Bills!

The legacy of the AAFC and early Bills was passed on to me at an early age. My dad saw the original Bills when he was in his early teens and always brought the greats of that era into the mix during discussions. He remembered Ratterman and Mutryn on the Bills, but would rave about the powerhouse Cleveland teams with Otto Graham, Motley, and Lavelli. Frankie Alberts, Joe Perry on the 49ers. I think even Tom Landry (coach of the Cowboys) played for the AAFC's NY club. Great stuff.

The legacy of the AAFC and early Bills was passed on to me at an early age. My dad saw the original Bills when he was in his early teens and always brought the greats of that era into the mix during discussions. He remembered Ratterman and Mutryn on the Bills, but would rave about the powerhouse Cleveland teams with Otto Graham, Motley, and Lavelli. Frankie Alberts, Joe Perry on the 49ers. I think even Tom Landry (coach of the Cowboys) played for the AAFC's NY club. Great stuff.

Yup. Landry played for New York. Lou Saban was a linebacker for the Cleveland Browns. Don Shula played for the Browns shortly after the AAFC folded. But, you are correct. The Browns were absolutely awesome. I have game films from those days and it is truly a sight to behold.