Breakdown of Sunday's game

Simon

I wasn't crazy about the Andy Benoit piece… even though it's clear he watched the Bills first two games, I didn't agree with several points he made.

I did enjoy the Clark Judge piece:

"They didn't draft a quarterback. They didn't trade for a quarterback. And they didn't sign a veteran free-agent quarterback to replace the guy they already had. Nope, they stood by Ryan Fitzpatrick, figuring that if they can improve the team around him he would improve, too.

Two games into the season, they look like geniuses."

Thanks for posting.

I wasn't crazy about the Andy Benoit piece… even though it's clear he watched the Bills first two games, I didn't agree with several points he made.

I did enjoy the Clark Judge piece:

"They didn't draft a quarterback. They didn't trade for a quarterback. And they didn't sign a veteran free-agent quarterback to replace the guy they already had. Nope, they stood by Ryan Fitzpatrick, figuring that if they can improve the team around him he would improve, too.

Two games into the season, they look like geniuses."

Thanks for posting.

I really liked the Benoit article. He actually points out nuances that most sports writers (and most fans, including me) have no clue about: i.e., Brady's strength in squaring up even under pressure, or Stevie J's ability to get open late in routes. A value-added piece for me.

I really liked the Benoit article. He actually points out nuances that most sports writers (and most fans, including me) have no clue about: i.e., Brady's strength in squaring up even under pressure, or Stevie J's ability to get open late in routes. A value-added piece for me.

Agreed. The Clark Judge piece (direct link inserted - Simon, your didn't work for me) was much more editorial in nature. We get enough of that talking-head pap through the year, and most of that is either hand grenade tossing or pom-pom waving depending on one's point of view.

Especially liked Benoit's clinical descriptions of the Pats* Offense's reliance on option routes. It takes a lot of high level coordination between receivers and the QB - along with some very talented players to pull that off. The NY Jints employ the same style in Kevin Killdrive's O. That's the name we tagged him with here when he brought option routes to The Ralph. We didn't have the players to pull it off - and that's what NY is experiencing now. Their receivers are young and lack the experience to be on the same page with Eli. Results... not so good. The Pats* are something else. They've got the horses to do that. Chan Fitzgailey's spread O seems to rely on precise route running that are predetermined.

Also liked the mention of the 3.5 Defense. That's TBD speak for the 3/4-4/3 hybrid.

Go Bills!

Agreed. The Clark Judge piece (direct link inserted - Simon, your didn't work for me) was much more editorial in nature. We get enough of that talking-head pap through the year, and most of that is either hand grenade tossing or pom-pom waving depending on one's point of view.

Especially liked Benoit's clinical descriptions of the Pats* Offense's reliance on option routes. It takes a lot of high level coordination between receivers and the QB - along with some very talented players to pull that off. The NY Jints employ the same style in Kevin Killdrive's O. That's the name we tagged him with here when he brought option routes to The Ralph. We didn't have the players to pull it off - and that's what NY is experiencing now. Their receivers are young and lack the experience to be on the same page with Eli. Results... not so good. The Pats* are something else. They've got the horses to do that. Chan Fitzgailey's spread O seems to rely on precise route running that are predetermined.

Also liked the mention of the 3.5 Defense. That's TBD speak for the 3/4-4/3 hybrid.

Go Bills!

There was an article I linked to some months ago with a quote from Stevie (if I recall correctly) saying that he liked Gailey's offense because it allowed receivers to be creative in their route running. The goal was to be at a particular spot within a specified time (a few seconds obviously). I certainly don't know enough or watch film to see if this is the case, but I found it interesting.

Here's the quote:

What Hixon believes will help Johnson possibly even more this season is the freedom to improvise a little in Buffalo’s passing game.

“One great thing about coach Chan Gailey’s offense is it allows players the creativity,” he said. “Our main goal is beat the man. That means beat the defender and be where you’re supposed to be, when you’re supposed to be there and don’t fool the quarterback. Those are the three basic rules.

“You beat the defender, but you might run the same route five different ways. As long as he’s at the right depth where he’s supposed to be and on time then he’s fine. That’s the best part of the offense. I’ve been in other offenses where I had players like Steve, but the offensive coordinator did not give the players the freedom to be creative and they felt handcuffed.”

Edited by TPS