The Halftime Adjustment Myth

Kelly the Dog

David Nelson basically contradicted this in his radio interview today on Sirius. I'm stealing this from another forum but here's what he said:

What a great interview from DN. They asked what was said in the locker room at halftime and did anyone give a speech? He replied "No, we broke into our groups, and discussed the halftime adjustments." "Once we were done, Coach told all of us this was gut check time, and the second half will show what this team was really made of."

The hosts asked about all of the no name players....as the host put it "no disrepect but if anyone other then momma Nelson or the Nelson family or Bills fans have heard of you before yesterday, I would be shocked."

DN replied "I agree, we have to earn that respect." "We look at ourselves as the island of misfit toys, players no other team wanted, but we founf a home in Buffalo and a front office and coach who believes in us."

I agree that they make adjustments all game long but halftime is basically a 15 minute timeout and I'd have to think that some major changes can and are made.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

I think this is one of a dozen or so things that nobody does anymore, that continue to be talked about, because the TV announcers who insist on talking about them have an antiquated understanding of the game. I can't believe they are still using print outs, instead of IPads, but they are making adjustments on the bench, right after the last series, not waiting until halftime.

These are the same TV announcers who say "it's all about the strength of the O line". Really? Then how are we leading the league in rushing with a so-so O line? These are the same people who say "you have to stop the run". Really? Then explain how we are 21st in the league at that...but also 1st in points scored. If the other team's are good at rushing, and hold the ball, we aren't supposed to have it long enough to score that many points, right? That's what's been said or years...so why don't the results follow? :lol:

As far as sports writers go: often times they are just lazy, and don't have an interest in updating their knowledge, or going back and making sure the conventional wisdom remains conventional...and not outdated.

One things is certain: the game has changed dramatically over the last few years. One could point to many valid reasons for this. Therefore, it's time we review and assess whether whatever we think we "know" about football is even close to being accurate.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I'm with the OP. The Bills, on the last two drives of the first half, went the length of the field to try those two field goals. Granted, they didn't find the end zone those two times. But they had established that they could move the ball (and did earlier, too, on the drive that stalled when they took a 15-yard penalty).

The last seven drives all long ones, resulting in FG, blocked FG, Touchdown Touchdown Touchdown Touchdown, and Touchdown. The second half was a continuation of the late first, with a little better defense for the 3rd quarter and fewer mistakes and dorpped passes (though freakin' Ruvel Martin dropped at least three passes in the second half).

I have nothing to add. I just really wanted to see your post again with the word touchdown bolded, because you wrote it five times in a row in connection with the Bills offense.

The adjustments may not have been readily noticeable. Yes, the formations may have been the same but the blocking schemes, for one, may have been adjusted. That, of course, can have significant impact.

Adjustments aside, it just appeared that the Bills came out in the second half breathing fire, which was but an ember in the first half.