AP: PITT, Syracuse apply to join ACC

UConn James

Link

Clink, clink. Couple more dominoes....

Looks like the Big East is going to be gutted and, if anything, will become a basketball-only conference w/ Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, etc.

Just hope the UConn muckity-mucks have been making plans for this eventuality. I think we'll be all right and hope to land either in the ACC or Big(12)10.

Just to note that the Big East's rules for exiting the conference changed after the loss of the U, VT & BC.

There's now a 27-month notice required and $5M exit fee. Now, the money's not a big object, but those 2+ years... awkward! We'll see what comes of that as "the dominoes continue to fall," tho, because just about everything in this world is negotiable.

Regardless, it might give UConn some time to figure out their move. Then again, if Syracuse and PITT are accepted, there's only 2 slots left in an ACC 16-team super-conference. West Virginny may be another interested party vis-a-vis their VT and UVA rivalries. And Louisville is a strong possibility, geographically, to say nothing of USF.

Just to note that the Big East's rules for exiting the conference changed after the loss of the U, VT & BC.

There's now a 27-month notice required and $5M exit fee. Now, the money's not a big object, but those 2+ years... awkward! We'll see what comes of that as "the dominoes continue to fall," tho, because just about everything in this world is negotiable.

Regardless, it might give UConn some time to figure out their move. Then again, if Syracuse and PITT are accepted, there's only 2 slots left in an ACC 16-team super-conference. West Virginny may be another interested party vis-a-vis their VT and UVA rivalries. And Louisville is a strong possibility, geographically, to say nothing of USF.

If this happens the Big East is as good as dead. They're basically trying to build a conference on scraps, they can't handle defections. If this happens, I think the SEC should get ahead of things and get to 16 teams. They can jump on TCU, South Florida, and Virginia Tech. TCU would help their Texas presence and give some rivalry to A&M. With SEC backing, USF could grow to be a powerful team. VT...cause I can't think of anyone better.

Edited by Faustus

If this happens the Big East is as good as dead. They're basically trying to build a conference on scraps, they can't handle defections. If this happens, I think the SEC should get ahead of things and get to 16 teams. They can jump on TCU, South Florida, and Virginia Tech. TCU would help their Texas presence and give some rivalry to A&M. With SEC backing, USF could grow to be a powerful team. VT...cause I can't think of anyone better.

As I wrote, if it lasts at all, The Big East will become a basketball-only conference and a weak one at that.

If they continue to hand-sit on Hillside Drive and remain stuck in a depleted / bandaged BE, I don't think it's too much to say it will be the eventual downfall of UConn sports. There will be little incentive to build the basketball training complex they're dreaming of, and then when Calhoun retires the standard will be lost with an inability to attract a major coaching talent to a weak conference. Then Geno A. will leave sometime and by then the football program will be a low-tier also-ran and people will remember when UConn used to win championships.

Gotta say that I am keen on this in-a-perfect-world re-alignment plan, but I'm just afraid it's not going to go that way.

There's also the matter of there (no doubt) still being a bitter taste in the ACC's mouth over then-CT Attorney General (he's now a U.S. Senator) Dick Blumenthal's lawsuit against them during the VT, U, BC defections. Don't think the ACC's forgotten about that and will miss the opportunity to extend a big middle finger at UConn, even if adding us would make their conference better.

Hartford Courant's Jeff Jacobs: UConn Can't Sit as Big East Collapses

Really good take on the situation from a really good sportswriter.

There is a great line in "Camino Real" by playwright Tennessee Williams: "We have to distrust each other. It is our only defense against betrayal."

After Miami and Virginia Tech bolted the Big East in 2004 and Boston College followed in 2005, UConn fans should be long past the anger, the feelings of betrayal that come with conference defections. Member schools no longer are brothers with like minds and similar missions. They are corporate mergers of convenience that will separate at the very scent of money.

Pittsburgh chancellor Mark Nordenberg is chairman of the Big East executive committee, which one Big East official told CBSSports.com is tantamount to having the "fox in the henhouse." One minute, he's helping to run the league. The next he's putting a 2-by-4 to the league's head. Conference loyalty? That's even funnier than the notion of student-athlete.

An announcement, according to some reports, could come as quickly as Sunday.

Until this national realignment, this state of panic gives evidence of resolution, distrust and suspicion must be guiding forces for UConn.

Also reports that a Courant source has said UConn "has had conversations with the ACC."

Gotta say that I am keen on this in-a-perfect-world re-alignment plan, but I'm just afraid it's not going to go that way.

Don't think the ACC's forgotten about that and will miss the opportunity to extend a big middle finger at UConn, even if adding us would make their conference better.

I think a lot of those suggestions make sense, but I don't see things falling into place that perfectly. If there was some big meeting of conferences where everyone talked it out and organized things in a way that seemed to work best for each team, conference, and college football in general...maybe. But 1. there's no way you could get everyone to agree on a plan, and 2. the way things are working out, it's every team/conference for themselves. It's far more likely that these 16 team conferences (there's no doubt in my mind anymore that 16 team conferences are inevitable) will be a random grouping of teams who all rushed together out of fear of being left out.

Also, no offense, but I don't see UConn really making a conference that much better. Not to the point that a conference would go out of it's way to get them. I do like the idea of UConn following Cuse to the ACC, but as a Cuse basketball fan that comes from wanting to see that rivalry stick around. Obviously UConn's pull is on the basketball side of the house, and I think Cuse, Pitt, and UConn gives the ACC a nice bump there, though they do very little to make them a more powerful football conference.

As for the writer of that article pushing USF out of conference realignment...I don't get it. They are far more valuable to a big conference than most Big East teams. They are a huge school in a prime location. With a big conference backing them (money, TV time, big games, etc...), they could be a top competitor down the road. Not to mention their opponents get access to a recruiting gold mine every time they play down there. As far as football goes, USF deserves to be involved in these conversations far more than UConn, and I'd take them over VT as well.

One thing I will add, I watch ZERO baseball, so I have no idea how that sport factors into these decisions.

Edited by Faustus

I'll have more on the ACC later, but TCU is headed to the (remnants of) the Big East, and word is that Va Tech isn't going anywhere without Virginia in tow.

I'll have more on the ACC later, but TCU is headed to the (remnants of) the Big East, and word is that Va Tech isn't going anywhere without Virginia in tow.

IIRC, the announcement had TCU a little disconcerted.

I'm not sure what recourse they have and if they could pull out of the switch.

I would if I were them.

IIRC, the announcement had TCU a little disconcerted.

I'm not sure what recourse they have and if they could pull out of the switch.

I would if I were them.

I agree with UConn, if TCU has ANY way out, they'll take it. I'm guess since they haven't officially joined yet, the changes will give them a loophole out, even if they have to pay a bit.

As for VT and Virginia, that remains to be seen. It's a great thing to say, but when the **** hits the fan, VT will look out for themselves. Also, I really don't think VT brings that much to the table, so it's really not a big deal if they don't move. The SEC can find another strong team willing to join the ranks when they decide to go to 16. And really, these are just my thoughts on it anyway...nothing ever works out how I want it to.

The reason the ACC made the bold first move is basically because they didn't want to be vultured when the other big guys (Pac-16, SEC, and B1G 10) all moved to 16. It was either the ACC or Big East was gonna become irrelevant, so i am glad the ACC snagged who we did. I'll be interested to see who else we add to get to 16, because i don't imagine the SEC and ACC would stop at 14.

As i said in the other thread, it seems WVU is headed to the SEC as team #14.

TCU may be really screwed in all this mess, unless something crazy happens like them and Boise joining the B1G 10.

The reason the ACC made the bold first move is basically because they didn't want to be vultured when the other big guys (Pac-16, SEC, and B1G 10) all moved to 16. It was either the ACC or Big East was gonna become irrelevant, so i am glad the ACC snagged who we did. I'll be interested to see who else we add to get to 16, because i don't imagine the SEC and ACC would stop at 14.

As i said in the other thread, it seems WVU is headed to the SEC as team #14.

TCU may be really screwed in all this mess, unless something crazy happens like them and Boise joining the B1G 10.

Since you say "we" when talking about the ACC.... I've seen several suggestions that FSU might decide to switch to the SEC. Have you heard anything on that?

Frankly, they're probably better off staying in the ACC rather than electing to get themselves beaten up in high-octane regional brawls.

The thing with how the superconferences are forming is that we can virtually say goodbye to unbeaten seasons. About the only major college sport that'll happen in soon will be women's basketball and possibly soccer (depending on whether you think that's a major sport).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.