Martin Rucker released

Kelly the Dog

TE Martin Rucker was released by the Cowboys today.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4826/martin-rucker

As some will recall, Scott Chandler was the third TE on the Cowboys last year behind Witten and Marcellus Bennett. Nix claimed Rucker off the Cowboys practice squad, but the Cowboys opted to sign him to their roster (which he agreed to over the Bills offer) and South America's Team released Scott Chandler instead. The Bills immediately claimed him off waivers.

We all know what happened to Scott Chandler against the Chiefs on unday, and now Tuesday Rucker has been released.

Nix said, or it was rumored, that Chandler was always the guy Nix wanted, but that's a little far fetched. 1] He would have no idea that the Cowboys would cut the guy they kept, Chandler, over Rucker, after the claim, and 2] nor would he know that Chandler would be not claimed by the teams with higher waiver numbers before the Bills. He could have been stuck with Rucker for at least three weeks if he didn't want him.

The more likely scenario was that he liked both of them, for different reasons, and would have taken either of them. Rucker had the PS eligibility that Chandler (I don't think) had, so that may have been why the Cowboys kept Chandler on the 53 and Rucker on the PS (but they risked losing Rucker by cutting him, so again it's far fetched that Nix knew this would happen. A lot of people, inside and outside of the Cowboys thought Rucker had good potential.

But we win on this one. ;)

I suspect that they felt it was a win win claim on Rucker. I believe that they felt we would either got him or Chandler, and would be happy with either. Whether or not they truly preferred Chandler (which may be true) is subject to too much revisionist history to be believed.

Either way, it was clearly a good claim, because we got a good TE. And the right one of the two, as you stated above.