Fitz's interview

Watch this video:

Ryan Fitzpatrick on Focusing on the Season

Question asked at about 00:25 on getting a fast start and his answer, esp. at about 00:50

His tone of voice, his facial expressions, his eye contact - very different from the previous questions when he's talking about switching to game preparation and the following questions when he's talking about last year's loss to KC and to Donald Jones.

What do you think they mean? Is it because he basically called out last year's team a bit and that's uncomfortable for him to do, being a positive team guy?

When he's asked about the loss to KC last year and he calls himself out (plays at the end he didn't make), he looks and sounds much more natural. When he's talking about Donald Jones, he sounds really sincere and enthusiastic.

I do like Fitz demeanor in interviews compared to the horror of TE or the glimpse we saw of Brohm. He comes across overall as forthright and honest.

Edited by Hopeful

Your link goes to the wrong video. The Fitzpatrick interview is in the list of choices below, though.

Yes, it's an uncomfortable discussion for him when he is saying that last year the team didn't really believe it could win, and this year they are trying to change that. No one wants to talk about that mess.

Also, fast start questions are loaded because it just gives reporters more ammunition to call a season doomed if a team loses week one.

Really though, nothing noteworthy in that interview. Seemed like normal Fitz to me.

The beard is returning, though!

privately the players have used the word "competitive" when asked about the season's prospects. The players know they arent going to be challenging for the playoffs.

really? these guys are competing at the highest level of thier profession, and if you don't think they go into a season believing that they are going to win, you're nuts. by no means is this an insult to players, but it's an ego thing. they believe they are the best at what they do and they believe they will win every game. where do you think the "I guarantee we make the playoff's" stements come from. these guys are a different breed & they ALL think this way.

really? these guys are competing at the highest level of thier profession, and if you don't think they go into a season believing that they are going to win, you're nuts. by no means is this an insult to players, but it's an ego thing. they believe they are the best at what they do and they believe they will win every game. where do you think the "I guarantee we make the playoff's" stements come from. these guys are a different breed & they ALL think this way.

While I agree with this for the most part, I also agree with what Fitz said. I think there is a big difference between being 100% confident, believing in yourself and that you are the best, going into each game believing you are better than your opponent opposite you and believing you will win, versus knowing it from experience. You can't lose all the time and truly believe you are going to win, even if you tell yourself in your mind you are going into every game believing 100% you will win.

It's kind of like going full speed off a pier and trying to fly your car off the end onto a big boat pulling away... We're gonna make it! We're gonna make it! We're gonna make it! We're NOT gonna make it.

No. they are people, and just like players on bad teams they know they're bad and know their limits.

Do you really think players on the Pittsburgh pirates honestly believe they will make the playoffs?

Just listen to how they speak publicly.... they talk about being competitive but not about the playoffs etc. Now listen to the talk coming from the sabres, they talk about winning it all etc..

Dont fool yourself into believing that every NFL player honestly believes that his team is good enough