Aaron Maybin = Amobi Okoye?

You guys remember Amobi Okoye?

DT out of Louisville, drafted 10th overall in 2007 (2 slots before Lynch).

He was 19 when he was drafted, and folks around here were CONVINCED he was the second coming of fat Pat.

Well, he was 19 when he was drafted to play DT. In other words, he was a boy drafted to play a man's position. He has since played out his rookie contract, and like Poz/Lynch (same draft class) was not retained by the team who grabbed him (Houston).

Flash forward to Saturday night.

He's in new digs in Chicago, is entering his fifth year in the league at the ripe age of 24, and finally has a "man's" body. Suddenly, he looks pretty good. He may actually go down as one of the better FA pickups in 2011, a pickup that flew largely under the radar (surprising for a former top 10 pick).

Aaron Maybin, drafted when he was 20, still looks like a child out there. He's waaaaaaaaay to small to play linebacker, and his play is severely handicapped as a result.

Is there a chance Maybin finally completes puberty, thus vaulting him to--at the very least--being a serviceable NFL player?

Some other team might be willing to take that chance, IF they can find roster space for him. In the meantime, he's worthless, but not necessarily hopeless. Thoughts?

You guys remember Amobi Okoye?

DT out of Louisville, drafted 10th overall in 2007 (2 slots before Lynch).

He was 19 when he was drafted, and folks around here were CONVINCED he was the second coming of fat Pat.

Well, he was 19 when he was drafted to play DT. In other words, he was a boy drafted to play a man's position. He has since played out his rookie contract, and like Poz/Lynch (same draft class) was not retained by the team who grabbed him (Houston).

Flash forward to Saturday night.

He's in new digs in Chicago, is entering his fifth year in the league at the ripe age of 24, and finally has a "man's" body. Suddenly, he looks pretty good. He may actually go down as one of the better FA pickups in 2011, a pickup that flew largely under the radar (surprising for a former top 10 pick).

Aaron Maybin, drafted when he was 20, still looks like a child out there. He's waaaaaaaaay to small to play linebacker, and his play is severely handicapped as a result.

Is there a chance Maybin finally completes puberty, thus vaulting him to--at the very least--being a serviceable NFL player?

Some other team might be willing to take that chance, IF they can find roster space for him. In the meantime, he's worthless, but not necessarily hopeless. Thoughts?

I think you make excellent points in general about really young players physically maturing. DT is without a doubt a position that requires years of physical strengthening and maturing before they start to peak. It seems like no matter how good or bad they are when they enter the league, you just won't see their best football until 4 or 5 years later barring injury. With Maybin, it should have been a no brainer that he has poor genetics in terms of what is required from a physique standpoint to play DE at the NFL level, which is what he was drafted to play. His lower body structure will never naturally support the mass and power required without eventual injury. Bodybuilding is another story.

I think we are more likely to see John Cena comparisons in the future. A failed athlete in one sport (Cena w/ bodybuilding, Maybin w/ looking like he's wearing a corset at all times) becomes a pro wrestler. That's the kind of body Maybin has.

Maybin's problem is he's simply too small to play DE or OLB. But his skill set is that of a pass rusher. His inability to get and stay above 230 lbs was his downfall. You need the size and strength to pass rush effectively.

And while there are "smaller" pass rushers out there, (Robert Mathis comes to mind), those guys have exceptional quickness and a nice repetoire of pass rush moves. Maybin has none of these things.

While still very young, Maybin hasn't even shown so much as a flash of any ability whatsoever.

I don't know what his diet and workout routine was like but his inability to pack on any size leads me to believe he either (a) was completely unmotivated; or (b) had reached his genetic limitations and was actually incapable of adding any weight/muscle.

To this day, I remained amazed that the Bills chose to draft a raw, undersized one year wonder over a polished, consistent, productive, motivated workout warrior coming from an elite program. And it has nothing to do with how these two turned out in the NFL. Orakpo was far and away the better prospect. I was foaming at the mouth when Orakpo was still available at our pick. It was a real head scratcher.

My answer would be no. Okoye did not have a battle with physically looking like an NFL football player.

I've thought that Maybin was perhaps ill and couldn't gain weight....considering how easy it is for the rest of us to do it. :-)

And....just because Okoye looked decent in a preseason game, that's a long ways away from saying he's the steal of the FA period. I think he'll be what he was all the years he spent in a Texan uniform.

Maybin's problem is he's simply too small to play DE or OLB. But his skill set is that of a pass rusher. His inability to get and stay above 230 lbs was his downfall. You need the size and strength to pass rush effectively.

And while there are "smaller" pass rushers out there, (Robert Mathis comes to mind), those guys have exceptional quickness and a nice repetoire of pass rush moves. Maybin has none of these things.

While still very young, Maybin hasn't even shown so much as a flash of any ability whatsoever.

I don't know what his diet and workout routine was like but his inability to pack on any size leads me to believe he either (a) was completely unmotivated; or (b) had reached his genetic limitations and was actually incapable of adding any weight/muscle.

To this day, I remained amazed that the Bills chose to draft a raw, undersized one year wonder over a polished, consistent, productive, motivated workout warrior coming from an elite program. And it has nothing to do with how these two turned out in the NFL. Orakpo was far and away the better prospect. I was foaming at the mouth when Orakpo was still available at our pick. It was a real head scratcher.

This (in bold). I can't imagine any other team wanting to take a chance on him after seeing his few plays in a Bills uniform.

Wasn't Maybin listed at 250 coming out of the draft? Was that inaccurrate? If it was true, how the hell did he lose that much weight?

Simple. He ballooned up for the combine.

Why do you think he wanted to keep the weight on, anyway? He's a young kid with a slender frame who's only success as a football player was in a handful of college games when he ran a loop around slower offensive lineman.