New QB strategy now that TB is out 4-6 wks

My idea now is to sign Doug Johnson (or second, Shane Matthews) today. It is probably Johnson as they brought him in earlier this year for a workout. Then play him half of the game on Thursday, or more, helping him with the plays. Cut Zolman right before the season and sign him to the practice squad, as I doubt anyone would pick him up, and we don't need him even if they do. If possible, make an injury settlement with Brown, with a guarantee to sign him once he is healthy, probably during the bye week. That way we can keep Bledsoe, Johnson and Losman on the active roster, and not have to take up four roster spots. We have a little bit of cash available (apparently, according to TD, just under what we had last year before we signed Lawyer). This may cost us a little more for Travis Brown but it will be worth it not getting rid of a player we may need.

I don't think you can resign a player with an injury settlement until after Week 10 (or something like that) - didn't this come up with Christie or Hollis a few years back?

12064[/snapback]

You're right, forgot about that. That's what the Dolfeons did with Gadsen last year. We're kind of screwed, as now we will likely have to carry four quarterbacks on the roster, unless there is some way around it I am not thinking of. We could easily just have one fullback, as Nuefeld has actually played pretty well this summer, and keep him as a back-up FB, with Lawton on the practice squad. Or we could cut Dorenbos for two or three games, and hope no one picks him up as just a LS right before the season, and go with Neufeld and Teague on kicks. Luckily, also, some of the offensive linemen, Tucker, Sobieski, Sullivan (ugh) play more than one position, so we could get away with cutting one of the back-up OL for a few games. Pucillo anyone?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1610331

Last season when T Brown broke his finger during preseason & was given a injury settlement he couldn't be brought back until late in the year.

The real question is do the Bills keep 4 QBs on the roster? My guess is no. If Shane Mathews is signed & looks OK I think he'll be the 2nd QB with JPL as the 3rd whenever he gets healthy. I see T Brown on IR for the year.

I see T Brown on IR for the year.

12091[/snapback]

I don't see Brown on IR - I think he gets an injury settlement and is released.

I think the Bills were trying to avoid the cost of a solid #2 this year hoping that Losman would be ready to be #2 later in the year. In that scenario, Brown fit pretty well as a non-threatening #2.

The Bills now have to sign a legitimate #2 since Losman probably won't be ready to step in this year for anything but meaningless snaps at the end of games. With a new QB, I can't see any benefit to keeping Brown with the Bills, short-term or long-term.

Now, that Travis Brown is only out 4-6 weeks (good news) and Losman will be back by season's end, the Bills will be forced to cut the veteran they sign when Brown is healthy enough to play. You cannot keep 4 QB's on your roster for long. This may make signing that veteran QB (O'Donnell, D. Johnson, Kordell, Mathews, etc.) more difficult without sending Brown or Losman to IR.

As insurance, they will cut Zolman (when the veteran is signed) and sign him to the practice squad.

New QB strategy? I was thinking more along the lines of:

RUUUUUUUUN!!!!!

SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE

DUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!

Seriously though, why would they sing Doug Johnson (or whomever), make an injury settlement with TB, and then sign TB again when he is healthy? I would pretty much put Brown and Johnson in the same category talent wise....why sign Brown again?

I don't believe the Bills or any team can afford four roster spots for QB's. TB could be placed on IR, placed on PUP with intention of bringing him back to active roster,or given an injury settlement and released. Most likely is I.R. Losman could be placed on PUP as well. Thay will not use 4 roster spots on QB's. B)