My thoughts: first 2 series

NewEra

I watched the first 2 series (offense and defense), each play about 10 times in slow mo (I'm bored). Some things that I noticed on the handful of plays:

-I really like Chandler. He was very effective run blocking, which will be needed from our TE due to our right side being so weak. He looked fine as a receiver, minus his drop. Put forth extra effort fighting for yards.

-Eric Pears was the worst O- lineman. Melton dominated him almost every snap.

-It didn't look to me like Urbik played as bad as many have stated. He wasn't great, but really only missed one block on the spiller WR screen. Wood and Levitre both missed blocks badly on that play as well. Both falling face first. If that play was executed by the OL, it may have been a big gain.

-Bell impressed me. It wasn't peppers out there, but he looked strong and had a good punch. The plays that he got beat, he was able to get back and deliver a blow to throw the DL off pursuit. If we got that kind of performance out of him everygame, I think we'll be ok with him at LT for awhile. I know, it was 2 series....just saying

- Levitre played well. Wood played better than average. I like having these two guys together. It allows us to focus our help to the right side

- I love stevie.

- I love Fred.

- Kyle Williams beat dareus off the ball almost every snap. He was getting a lot of double teams, but was constantly working and making plays. I love him too.

-dareus is a monster. He's got amazing grace on his feet for such a big man. Great swim move, agility and exceleration. Him and Williams will be creating havoc.

- awesome. What more can you say about merrimans performance. Explosive off the line with powerful legs and knows how to use his hands and arms getting after the qb. The pass rushing difference maker we've been lacking. His sack dance had the whole team smiling.

- fitz' throw that Donald jones had the pass interference call looked ridiculous in slow mo. Can't believe he would attempt such a throw. If you have the game on dvr, watch it in slow mo. You'll agree.

- I like Andra Davis. Guy's built like a brickwall top to bottom. Seems to attack the OL and definitely isn't afraid to take on blockers. He's a good fit playing next to Barnett, who's more of a speed backer. Hopefully Davis will be taking on the blocks and Barnett will be making the tackles.

- I saw people saying Kelsey looked OK. I'm not a Kelsey hater. I don't like him, but I think he did an ok job the 2nd half of last year. I didn't think Kelsey looked OK last night. He took dareus out on 2 plays, getting smacked by the OL. He took a couple bad angles and I only saw him make one good play ( on merrimans 2nd sack, he almost got the sack, but took a bad angle/got blocked) and one ok play (unblocked, was in on a run play tackle. At least he didn't take a bad angle). I hope someone steps up and takes his job. Again....I don't hate him, but he needs to be a backup.

-Fitzy was Fitzy. Nothing special. Incomplete 3rd down pass to Nelson was something I'm used to seeing. After the play, I was thinking who was that too? Couldn't tell if it was Nelson or naaman. Looks like Nelson didn't expect the pass. Not sure if it was catchable or not due to the camera angle.

- I love brad smith.

Just a few thoughts from the starters action.

I pretty much agree -especially Fitz's two incompletes. Was the 1st one a mis-run pattern by either or both receivers or just a wounded duck by Fitz? Either way, it killed a drive on 3dr down in Bear territory and is becoming hauntingly familiar. The other very poor pass ended up with offensive pass interference -simply by trying to stop and reach back. Again, in Bear territory, it became 1st & 20. We got 18 yrads back in three downs then kicked our only points on a 44 yrd FG.

I SOOoo want Fitz to take the BIG STEP in his career this year. Because if he doesn't -or can't, we start all over again looking for a QB.

Agree with almost all of this.

However,

-It didn't look to me like Urbik played as bad as many have stated. He wasn't great, but really only missed one block on the spiller WR screen. Wood and Levitre both missed blocks badly on that play as well. Both falling face first. If that play was executed by the OL, it may have been a big gain.

- Levitre played well. Wood played better than average. I like having these two guys together. It allows us to focus our help to the right side

- fitz' throw that Donald jones had the pass interference call looked ridiculous in slow mo. Can't believe he would attempt such a throw. If you have the game on dvr, watch it in slow mo. You'll agree.

Wood and Urbik were the missed blocks on that middle screen with Spiller. It was actually Wood's fault because Spiller had to cut to the left side of Urbik and got pounded (didn't help that Urlacher shed Urbik with ease). Urbik's only big downfall was the first running play that was blown up in the backfield. Urbik was practically catapulted off of the line. He was beaten miserably.

I'm not sure what you're seeing besides possibly the safety coming over the top, but the ball Fitz threw was into single-coverage and he was giving his receiver a chance to make the play- again, I don't know what you saw though, so maybe it was worse than I thought. I would say this: take a close look at how the play developed, it seemed as if Fitz was a little hesitant, as if there was a miscommunication, but he threw it anyway at the last second. ...Pure speculation on my part.

Edited by BringBackFlutie

Agree with almost all of this.

However,

Wood and Urbik were the missed blocks on that middle screen with Spiller. It was actually Wood's fault because Spiller had to cut to the left side of Urbik and got pounded (didn't help that Urlacher shed Urbik with ease). Urbik's only big downfall was the first running play that was blown up in the backfield. Urbik was practically catapulted off of the line. He was beaten miserably.

I'm not sure what you're seeing besides possibly the safety coming over the top, but the ball Fitz threw was into single-coverage and he was giving his receiver a chance to make the play- again, I don't know what you saw though, so maybe it was worse than I thought. I would say this: take a close look at how the play developed, it seemed as if Fitz was a little hesitant, as if there was a miscommunication, but he threw it anyway at the last second. ...Pure speculation on my part.

Yes, wood and urbik missed a block on that play, wood went flying into the ground and urbik let urlacher shed him effortlessly. Levitre was on the bottom of the screen. He did the same thing wood did, went flying into the ground head first. Yes urbik got blown up on spillers first run. Other than that and the shed block by urlacher on the screen, his play was adequate.

Fitzs pass to Nelson....I can't tell from the camera view where the ball was. If it was catchable or not. Fitz threw a lot of badly thrown uncatchable balls on 3rd down last year. Not sure if this was the same type of throw, or if Nelson just wasn't ready for it.

-our D-Line looked awesome. Let's hope it's not due to chicagos lack of oline

- I saw people saying Kelsey looked OK. I'm not a Kelsey hater. I don't like him, but I think he did an ok job the 2nd half of last year. I didn't think Kelsey looked OK last night. He took dareus out on 2 plays, getting smacked by the OL. He took a couple bad angles and I only saw him make one good play ( on merrimans 2nd sack, he almost got the sack, but took a bad angle/got blocked) and one ok play (unblocked, was in on a run play tackle. At least he didn't take a bad angle). I hope someone steps up and takes his job. Again....I don't hate him, but he needs to be a backup.

That would be Danny Batten # 57, get your jerseys ordered.

Yes, wood and urbik missed a block on that play, wood went flying into the ground and urbik let urlacher shed him effortlessly. Levitre was on the bottom of the screen. He did the same thing wood did, went flying into the ground head first. Yes urbik got blown up on spillers first run. Other than that and the shed block by urlacher on the screen, his play was adequate.

Fitzs pass to Nelson....I can't tell from the camera view where the ball was. If it was catchable or not. Fitz threw a lot of badly thrown uncatchable balls on 3rd down last year. Not sure if this was the same type of throw, or if Nelson just wasn't ready for it.

-our D-Line looked awesome. Let's hope it's not due to chicagos lack of oline

Ah, I was talking about the throw to Jones down the sideline. Looked strange and poorly planned or miscommunicated.

Ah, I was talking about the throw to Jones down the sideline. Looked strange and poorly planned or miscommunicated.

I agree, the pass fitz threw to jones on the interference call was ugly looking. He step up into the pocket and shuffled his feet, leaned forward and chucked it up there. He looked like drew bledsoe trying to attempt a flutie jump pass