agilen

It was in 1998, I beleive...

from buffalobills.com...

10/4 San Francisco 49ers W 26-21 76,615

10/11 @ Indianapolis Colts W 31-24 52,938

10/18 Jacksonville Jaguars W 17-16 77,635

10/25 @ Carolina Panthers W 30-14 64,050

11/1 Miami Dolphins W 30-24 79,011

I was at that Jax game - it was THE play for Doug Flutie - I think that's when he won us over, as a city.  He proceeded to lose big chunks of us later, of course.

We had been 0-3 before that, right?

No, the Bills lost their first 2 games and then won the 3rd over SF with RJ at the helm. And in the 2nd game, against the Rams, the Bills had a comfortable lead when RJ went out with (what else) an injury, and Flutie failed to do ANYTHING with the offense.

And IIRC, that "naked bootleg" against Jax was a busted play by Thurman.

BTW, when was the last time they won 6 in a row?

No, the Bills lost their first 2 games and then won the 3rd over SF with RJ at the helm.  And in the 2nd game, against the Rams, the Bills had a comfortable lead when RJ went out with (what else) an injury, and Flutie failed to do ANYTHING with the offense.

And IIRC, that "naked bootleg" against Jax was a busted play by Thurman.

BTW, when was the last time they won 6 in a row?

168017[/snapback]

I believe that the Bills blew a lead in the Rams game, third of the season, one of the many times Tony Banks beat us. Johnson then won the first game of the season and the Wade Phillips era at home against San Francisco. Flutie came in early on in a game at Indy when Johnson went down in week 5.

No, the Bills lost their first 2 games and then won the 3rd over SF with RJ at the helm.

168017[/snapback]

Actually, we were 0-3. We lost the opener to San Diego, then lost in Miami, then lost to the Rams at home. Flutie then took over and we started winning.

Flutie was such a good QB ............................

167964[/snapback]

Wasn't that SF game QB'd by RJ? I seem to recall that game having an ungodly number of penalties (one SF CB just kept drawing pass interference penalties). And I distinctly remember that particular game being played by RJ, because I sardonically remarked that the only way he could win was with Hanky Hantak throwing about 24 flags...

Actually, we were 0-3.  We lost the opener to San Diego, then lost in Miami, then lost to the Rams at home.  Flutie then took over and we started winning.

That's right. But as I mentioned, the Bills had a good lead when RJ went out and Flutie blew the save. Then they got their 1st win against the 49'ers the following week with RJ starting. Then RJ got injured early in the Colts game and the rest was history.

I believe that the Bills blew a lead in the Rams game, third of the season, one of the many times Tony Banks beat us. Johnson then won the first game of the season and the Wade Phillips era at home against San Francisco. Flutie came in early on in a game at Indy when Johnson went down in week 5.

168033[/snapback]

I remember watching that Rams game at a bar out here in L.A. and talking to this hot girl. turned out she was Wade Phillips' daughter. I told her that he wasnt the answer as the Bills coach

That's right.  But as I mentioned, the Bills had a good lead when RJ went out and Flutie blew the save.  Then they got their 1st win against the 49'ers the following week with RJ starting.  Then RJ got injured early in the Colts game and the rest was history.

168071[/snapback]

You're right, according to the 1998 NFL in review. which offers game summaries and boxscores. I still maintain by letting Flutie take over for the rest of 1998 and most of 1999 Wade and Co failed in letting RJ develop on the field, which IMHO is the best way for a QB to develop.