Rosentha's Free Agency Article

I thought a few of Greg Rosenthal's quotes about free agency were interesting:

"Green Bay: It was comical to hear some Packers fans gripe about G.M. Ted Thompson staying quiet in free agency. What did you expect?

Thompson’s discipline to rely on drafting and developing works."

(reminds me of people griping about Nix)

"Trouble spots. 1. Miami quarterback: The Dolphins said all offseason they wanted true competition for quarterback Chad Henne. Instead, they got Matt Moore. Miami didn’t go all in on Kyle Orton trade talks, betting Henne would be enough."

(not my style to root against anybody but it's good to see AFCE opponents with their own problems)

"Shaky Strategies. 1. Jacksonville: The Jaguars gave $37 million guaranteed and $99.5 million overall to pick up three defensive starters: linebacker Paul Poslusnzy, linebacker Clint Session, and safety Dawan Landry. The Jaguars overpaid because it’s “go time” in their three-year rebuilding process. G.M. Gene Smith has drafted well, but paying big signing bonuses to middling starters rarely pays off. The three players above will never make a Pro Bowl and they are all getting paid like stars."

(I liked Poz and hoped we'd resign him. But his new salary is ridiculous).

"Green Bay: It was comical to hear some Packers fans gripe about G.M. Ted Thompson staying quiet in free agency. What did you expect?

Really? You simply cant compare the Bills and Packers.

The Packers won the Super Bowl with a lot of key players hurt so with them coming back do they really need to be that active?

seriously, come on

The Packers won the Super Bowl with a lot of key players hurt so with them coming back do they really need to be that active?

seriously, come on

I don't think Hondo is comparing the Packers and the Bills. Only their fans. And I think he has a good point.

GO BILLS!!!

I really don't think you can make this comparison precisely because the Packers won the Super Bowl. I happen to be someone who believes Nix deserves a chance, and I'm not griping about FA, but still, that comparison just looks wrong.

seriously, come on

ZOOOM! Did you look up and see that go by?

I don't think Hondo is comparing the Packers and the Bills. Only their fans. And I think he has a good point.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for the support and, yep, I'm comparing the fans. Fans everywhere want to see a big splash in free agency. But some GMs - including some good ones (see Green Bay) - just don't play that way. They build through the draft and remain relatively quiet during free agency. So we fans complain when big name FAs sign elsewhere.

It's too early to judge, but let's hope our new front office turns out to be as successful as Green Bay's.