Other Free Agents

DUFF

Just wanted to get some of your opinions regarding some of the free agents who are left (in positions of need IMO), whether you think they fit our system/swagger, or if they are even obtainable:

Carl Nicks (guard for the Saints)- personally never heard of him but is ranked #2 of the top 50 free agents list. If he is good, that would help with the OL and shifting Wood to center.

Zack Miller (TE for the Raiders)- the ever popular mystery...does Chan not like to use TE's, or is it just that he hasn't had a good one worth planning around???? (aside from Gonz. in KC)

Cromartie (CB Jets)- personally I don't think we need him and think he is over rated, but wouldn't mind taking him away from the Jets.

Braylon Edwards (WR Jets)- same as above, not needed but he is definately a tough reciever.

Cliff Avril (DE Lions)- again never heard of him.....is he an upgrade over Dwan Edwards?

Jamaal Brown (OT Redskins)- not Clabo...opinions??

Please let me know if there is anyone worthy of mentioning that i missed. Also just as an FYI I did not include any free-agents over 30 years old.

Just wanted to get some of your opinions regarding some of the free agents who are left (in positions of need IMO), whether you think they fit our system/swagger, or if they are even obtainable:

Carl Nicks (guard for the Saints)- personally never heard of him but is ranked #2 of the top 50 free agents list. If he is good, that would help with the OL and shifting Wood to center.

Zack Miller (TE for the Raiders)- the ever popular mystery...does Chan not like to use TE's, or is it just that he hasn't had a good one worth planning around???? (aside from Gonz. in KC)

Cromartie (CB Jets)- personally I don't think we need him and think he is over rated, but wouldn't mind taking him away from the Jets.

Braylon Edwards (WR Jets)- same as above, not needed but he is definately a tough reciever.

Cliff Avril (DE Lions)- again never heard of him.....is he an upgrade over Dwan Edwards?

Jamaal Brown (OT Redskins)- not Clabo...opinions??

Please let me know if there is anyone worthy of mentioning that i missed. Also just as an FYI I did not include any free-agents over 30 years old.

I would love to see Cromartie sign here and to a lesser extent Miller. We are going to be weak in our backfield this year. Mcgee is an injury liability and Florence is average at best. Cromartie would be a big upgrade. We're set a WR and Jammal Brown just re-upped with the 'Skins.

Carl Nicks had a pro-bowl year last year as guard and apparently has such a bright future ahead that he was tendered the highest compensation possible. I don't know if that tender was done last year or this year with the new CBA.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/24/carl-nicks-credit-due/

Jammal Brown re-signed with the Redskins today. Ryan Harris is still available, but I don't know how much of an upgrade he is from Pears.

I would love to see Cromartie sign here and to a lesser extent Miller. We are going to be weak in our backfield this year. Mcgee is an injury liability and Florence is average at best. Cromartie would be a big upgrade. We're set a WR and Jammal Brown just re-upped with the 'Skins.

I don't think he's a pro-bowler, but he's better than you seem to give him credit for. Remember, we don't apply a lot of pressure on the QB, our CBs are on an island a lot.

Again, we're pretty stacked at WR this year so we won't need him.

However, even if we started the season with Justin Armour and Chris Brantley at WR1-WR2, with Kwame Cavil, Avion Black, Reggie Germany as the reserves, I would say PASS on Braylon Edwards. His butterfingers didn't get the same press because he was in Cleveland (versus, Caldwell or Gaffney w/ the 2006 Pats), but seeing him drop so many sure TDs or missing out on clutch first downs was just painful.

i would say manny lawson would be a nice pickup good 3-4 outside backer who specializes in pass coverage. He would be nice on passing downs as kelsay would always get raped in pass coverage and we could get him on the cheap. Matt roth same thing as i think adding another lob is crucial. I'm not opposed to getting another corner or maybe a safety you really never can have to many corners. If there was a rt worth getting i would love to get one but there just isn't. I think we really have something with urbik wood levitre so I'm really not looking to mess with it. T.E is interesting but chan uses tightends less then marts does so idk if a tight end is even on our radar. But with whats left, manny lawson and matt roth are at the top of my list.

Why do you say cheap? Just tightends in general or?

We're almost a week into free agency and there doesn't seem to be a market forming for Boss or Scaife at all.

With no other bidders they should get a deal.

We're almost a week into free agency and there doesn't seem to be a market forming for Boss or Scaife at all.

With no other bidders they should get a deal.

Well Bo isn't that good... And rumor was boss is close to wrapped up in NY. Just cause it's not on twitter doesn't mean they won't be getting paid. They aren't trendy names that get attention during the season in the media either. I think they have the attention of football guys, just not espn guys.

I'd still guess miller signs at 7ish, boss at 5ish

Well Bo isn't that good... And rumor was boss is close to wrapped up in NY. Just cause it's not on twitter doesn't mean they won't be getting paid. They aren't trendy names that get attention during the season in the media either. I think they have the attention of football guys, just not espn guys.

I'd still guess miller signs at 7ish, boss at 5ish

My rationale is that if Football guys did have attention on them they'd be signed already.

Getting Zach Miller on your roster is a big splash for any team, especially with only 2 or 3 FA TEs signed so far.

I find it strange that two of the Top TEs in FA have haven't been taken care of yet.

While everyone was scrambling for WRs a smart GM could have tried to poach one of these guys.

7ish would be a nice deal for Miller, it'll be interesting to see how much he gets.

I think Scaife is a little better than you're giving him credit for, has good hands, he doesn't drop the ball, he can block pretty decent. He just isn't an elusive route runner and doesn't create separation with speed. He'd be a nice fit.

BTW Chandler is listed as RFA and is unsigned as of today. So I don't believe we even have this Chandler character at TE.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I remember when Nicks kept falling till the 5th in the 08 draft because he was a "slacker". wanted the Bills to take him as a RT. wanted him in the 3rd over Chris Ellis, wanted him in the 4th over Reggie Corner & Derek Fine, wanted him in the 5th over Alvin Bowen. Well looks like I was right.