Anyone watch HBO's Too Big Too Fail

Just watched this. No easy feat to make a movie about the presidents of banking houses and the Fed Chair and Treasury secretary exciting but I liked it. If you followed the story as it happened, it's interesting to see it all dramatized. What strikes me is how often and close things came to blowing up.

And contrary to optimistic Dante's prediction that defaulting won't be a big deal, I sure would like to avoid seeing that movie play out in mid-August, which is right where we're heading under the current Washington "leadership."

"We shouldn't have let Lehman fail" is going to turn into "We shouldn't have let the default happen." Times 10.

Lehman, Bear, AIG almost took down a relatively optimistic and healthy economy.

Just watched this. No easy feat to make a movie about the presidents of banking houses and the Fed Chair and Treasury secretary exciting but I liked it. If you followed the story as it happened, it's interesting to see it all dramatized. What strikes me is how often and close things came to blowing up.

And contrary to optimistic Dante's prediction that defaulting won't be a big deal, I sure would like to avoid seeing that movie play out in mid-August, which is right where we're heading under the current Washington "leadership."

"We shouldn't have let Lehman fail" is going to turn into "We shouldn't have let the default happen." Times 10.

And the only reason they didn't is because a few people made some very difficult decisions. One thing the Bush Administration had was backbone - not a benefit when you're stupidly throwing darts trying to hit a justification for invading Iraq, but a good thing when you're choosing between "very expensive bailout" and "holy ****, holy ****, the economy's gonna !@#$in' die!"

And the only reason they didn't is because a few people made some very difficult decisions. One thing the Bush Administration had was backbone - not a benefit when you're stupidly throwing darts trying to hit a justification for invading Iraq, but a good thing when you're choosing between "very expensive bailout" and "holy ****, holy ****, the economy's gonna !@#$in' die!"

Right-o. No one has gone back and put Paulsen and Bush through the ringer about overstepping their legal boundaries in that mess. The movie does a good job contrasting then SEC Chair [name], who was trying to play by the rules and not overstep, with Paulsen, who was screwing up for sure, but basically willing to do whatever it took. At some point, the issue just became one of desperation: Do something, ANYTHING. The AIG move showed the turning tide of govt involvement. The cas infusion of TARP was the turning point. No one needed that money but something needed to start moving cash through the system. At that point, the market knew that big brother was willing to do anything and people started to (slowly, really slowly) calm.

Edited by Peace

haven't seen it but would like to. sounds like you found it fair?

Edited by birdog1960

haven't seen it but would like to. sounds like you felt it fair?

The opening and closing sequences of news stories show Sorkin's bias to blaming all the deregulation. But I'd say that the portrayal of the situation as complete chaos and the leaders as doing the biggest cat herding ever and somehow pulling it off--that part seemed pretty accurate.

The best scene is one where Paulson is meeting with his Chinese counterpart in China and someone tries to hand him a flag for a photo op (he declines to take it) and his little daughter grabs at it and gets into a tug of war as her dad tries to take it away. Doubt it happened but it was funny. LAter the Chinese Econ Sec'y says, "You should have seen your face."

Edited by Peace

The opening and closing sequences of news stories show Sorkin's bias to blaming all the deregulation. But I'd say that the portrayal of the situation as complete chaos and the leaders as doing the biggest cat herding ever and somehow pulling it off--that part seemed pretty accurate.

The best scene is one where Paulson is meeting with his Chinese counterpart in China and someone tries to hand him a flag for a photo op (he declines to take it) and his little daughter grabs at it and gets into a tug of war as her dad tries to take it away. Doubt it happened but it was funny. LAter the Chinese Econ Sec'y says, "You should have seen your face."

What I found most remarkable about the movie (taking it as truth) is how close McCain sitting out a week on his campaign, (because "politicking" on the campaign trail seemed too crass to him, when things were so precarious) almost made things so much worse. It almost had unintended disasterous effects. Good movie, I thouhgt...as much as I have heard/read about that whole time, it was always hard (for me anyways...I don't just "know everthing" like some folks around here :rolleyes: )to really understand all the complexities of that situation. Movie did a good job of shedding some light...realizing, there are some political biases inherent in the storytelling.

Edited by Buftex

Now what would make you think I was talking about you? 0:)

Because you said "I don't just "know everthing" like some folks around here."

If you were talking about anyone else, you would have said "I don't think I "know everthing" like some folks around here "

So I'll take it as a compliment, thank you. :beer:

Because you said "I don't just "know everthing" like some folks around here."

If you were talking about anyone else, you would have said "I don't think I "know everthing" like some folks around here "

So I'll take it as a compliment, thank you. :beer:

I think you know about 97% of everything... :thumbsup:

I read the book and it certainly was entertaining and gave a good inside on what was going on. Don't know how they could pack up that much into a 2 hour movie.