Aaron Maybin

I personally think Spiller will step his game up this year. Every time I watched him or heard him speak it just felt like he was a rookie, I don't know really how to describe it, you could just feel he wasn't playing with great confidence. If he doesn't pan out this year, then fine hit him with the bust tag, even though its taken McFadden this long to come into his own, I really think he's gonna step it up, but hey, forever optimists us Bills fans are.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem with Maybin is not his lack of motivation, but his lack of size. He is simply not big enough to play NFL DE or even linebacker on a consistent basis. The Bills either need to hope he is still growing (he's only what, 21) or begin to see if his athletic skills can be transferred to another position like TE or Safety. No sense cutting someone with this much athletic ability before exploring all options.

Sure, feel free. I agree that Spiller has a much better track record, but not of upside. He's diminutive to start, and if you look at his time at Clemson, of if you had, you'd have noticed that all of his big games came against low-end opponents.

As a rusher, 5.0 is absolutely nothing special in the NCAA and if anything is an anti-predictor of how well such a player will fare in the NFL.

Otherwise, his biggest asset, namely speed, is not something that should require "time" or development in the NFL, agreed?

As such, did you see even an inkling of "special speed" last season?

You can disagree and argue all you want, just don't be too disappointed when he doesn't step up. If he ends up being a role playing RB that can catch five to six hundred yards of passes out of the backfield and improve his returning skills, I think that's the best we're going to get out of him in Buffalo or the NFL.

We'll see though, but I'd put big money on it. ... and no, I don't want to wager. LOL Still though, at Vegas if there were such a thing, I'd put big money on his disappointing once again this season.

; )

Wagers not necessary...You have your opinion and I have mine. Here a link to CJ's stats, I hope I copied it properly so you can view all categories and opponents.BTW 5.9 yds/carry is not bad for a career stat and if used properly he could be a very dangerous weapon for the Bills.

http://clemson.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=63958

p.s.- the browser defaults to the 2008 season click the headings for '09 and each offensive category to view total stats.

Edited by pimp on da' net

Fixed. Agreed with the statement when referring to the FO that drafted Maybin.

Since Nix/Whaley took over there have been a number of (much needed) changes in the scouting department. I dont think you'll ever see Nix draft a player like Maybin. I know Buddy was "around" as a consultant as the time, but I doubt he had much input on that one.

That's fair, although they haven't revamped it entirely, I still have concerns.

Dareus was a great pick although somewhat of a no-brainer. The Broncos have taken quite a bit of heat for not taking Dareus and the Panthers have even taken some despite their "major need area" pick as well. The Bills would have been laughed across Lake Erie and into the Yukon had they passed on Dareus. Spicoli stoned out of his mind would have made the same pick, so let's not give the FO a mountain of credit for putting their underwear on forwards with this pick.

Otherwise, I don't see much in this past draft that screams that the "new and improved" FO is any better.

Wagers not necessary...You have your opinion and I have mine. Here a link to CJ's stats, I hope I copied it properly so you can view all categories and opponents.BTW 5.9 yds/carry is not bad for a career stat and if used properly he could be a very dangerous weapon for the Bills.

http://clemson.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=63958

p.s.- the browser defaults to the 2008 season click the headings for '09 and each offensive category to view total stats.

Thank you!

But believe, me, I've scrutinized Spiller's stats more than this entire forum combined.

You need to break down the information, not simply look at singular numbers and decide he's great or going to be great. The only NFL data point that we have is that he's thus far been a bust. If he does not seriously break out this season it will be all but impossible to argue that he has BUST written all over him.

Otherwise, we do disagree, as I stated as well, but again, what are the most important parts, the most pertinent to his success in the NFL, of Spiller's NCAA stats?

Would they not be how he performed against the top Ds, let's say top-50. I mean if he can't play well against the top-50 collegiate Ds, like Maybin, then why is there anything in those stats to suggest that he'll succeed with the cream of the crop of players that make it from that level to the next creating even more challenging Ds?

I appreciate your fandom and hopes for Spiller, but don't let them taint reality here.

Can you name one bright spot, one asset, one of anything significant that Spiller showed last year that he even has a shot at starting in the NFL?

Other than his early season what was it, 95-yard KR for that TD, he was nothing but a footnote the rest of the season. He averaged a well below average 21.4 ypr otherwise and even with that long run his average of 23 ypr was still below average. He didn't prove that he can run the ball even to an average level, and he's supposed to have blazing speed, his only asset as he's not a contact runner. His open-field moves were supposed to be electric, and in college they may have been, but in the NFL the NFL speed caught up to him and will continue to. He showed no moves whatsoever, not even once that I recall. This is a story that rewrites itself every season in the NFL for those players drafted that have speed as their sole asset, like Maybin and Spiller.

So again, hope all that you want, I'm merely suggesting that your faith and hope are misplaced, I wouldn't expect it to happen, there's absolutely no evidence that suggests it will unless you consider his performances against some of the worst defenses in college ball to be that evidence, but none of those players are even in the NFL, so it would not seem wise to use that as a baseline.

Otherwise, there was no evidence of speed by Spiller last season. None. He's too small to be good apart from having such speed, and if he didn't have it last season relative to NFL players/defenders, it's not going to magically grow on a tree since then. If he bulks up, he certainly won't get quicker.

Do you still disagree?

Edited by TaskersGhost

Fixed. Agreed with the statement when referring to the FO that drafted Maybin.

Since Nix/Whaley took over there have been a number of (much needed) changes in the scouting department. I dont think you'll ever see Nix draft a player like Maybin. I know Buddy was "around" as a consultant as the time, but I doubt he had much input on that one.

By the way, my research thinks that this guy Williams that they selected in round 2 also isn't going to be a very good player.

We'll see as usual, but if you watch his "highlights," you'll notice that frequently he was a half-step behind the guys he was supposed to cover very frequently. Well, if that was happening in college, guess what, it's definitely going to happen in the NFL except it won't be a half-step, it'll one or two steps.

I only see his potential value at Safety. So we'll see.

I thought that the rest of our draft sucked.

Thank you!

But believe, me, I've scrutinized Spiller's stats more than this entire forum combined.

You need to break down the information, not simply look at singular numbers and decide he's great or going to be great.The stats in college does not lie as for his total offensive output. The only NFL data point that we have is that he's thus far been a bust.I thought most draft picks were evaluated generally after 3 yrs, not 1 :rolleyes: . If he does not seriously break out this season it will be all but impossible to argue that he has BUST written all over him.

Otherwise, we do disagree, as I stated as well, but again, what are the most important parts, the most pertinent to his success in the NFL, of Spiller's NCAA stats? Just tying to give some prospective on your previous comment of 5 ypg (which didn't include total offensive output).

Would they not be how he performed against the top Ds, let's say top-50. I mean if he can't play well against the top-50 collegiate Ds, like Maybin, then why is there anything in those stats to suggest that he'll succeed with the cream of the crop of players that make it from that level to the next creating even more challenging Ds? I AGREE.

I appreciate your fandom and hopes for Spiller, but don't let them taint reality here. :D

Can you name one bright spot, one asset, one of anything significant that Spiller showed last year that he even has a shot at starting in the NFL? Look the guy didnt start out the gate the best but what were your expectation for a rookie? Also after highlighting his modest output with the next sentence below, did you factor in the hamstring pull that sidelined him a game or so afterwards. I rem CG stating that CJ was really catching on and they had a good gameplan for him in the game he got injured.

Other than his early season what was it, 95-yard KR for that TD, he was nothing but a footnote the rest of the season. He averaged a well below average 21.4 ypr otherwise and even with that long run his average of 23 ypr was still below average. He didn't prove that he can run the ball even to an average level, and he's supposed to have blazing speed, his only asset as he's not a contact runner. His open-field moves were supposed to be electric, and in college they may have been, but in the NFL the NFL speed caught up to him and will continue to. He showed no moves whatsoever, not even once that I recall. This is a story that rewrites itself every season in the NFL for those players drafted that have speed as their sole asset, like Maybin and Spiller.

So again, hope all that you want, I'm merely suggesting that your faith and hope are misplaced, I wouldn't expect it to happen, there's absolutely no evidence that suggests it will unless you consider his performances against some of the worst defenses in college ball to be that evidence, but none of those players are even in the NFL, so it would not seem wise to use that as a baseline.

Otherwise, there was no evidence of speed by Spiller last season. None. He's too small to be good apart from having such speed, and if he didn't have it last season relative to NFL players/defenders, it's not going to magically grow on a tree since then. If he bulks up, he certainly won't get quicker.

Do you still disagree? YES!!!

Look IMHO CJ will be one of those backs that will frustrate you during most games and then BAM! he'll take it to the house... using his collegiate performance as my basis is how I come to this conclusion. And I will not use his injured rookie year as a guide to future success in this league.

He didn't draft himself...

It's funny watching everyone attack him personally for not living up to a draft pick and defensive position he had no business being in.

Those that question his work ethic, I simply ask for links to back that up. I've heard nothing of the sort

But of course, everyone here has a cousin's sister's boss' dog's walker on the weekends who knows a guy at the hot dog stand at the stadium who says he's a loafer... <_<

Not one person has mentioned the party responsible for picking him so high or for a position he simply cannot play in the NFL.

EDIT: except for the person above me... :blush:

You might have a point if he didn't hold out.

Look IMHO CJ will be one of those backs that will frustrate you during most games and then BAM! he'll take it to the house... using his collegiate performance as my basis is how I come to this conclusion. And I will not use his injured rookie year as a guide to future success in this league.

Well, making excuses for his play isn't exactly a great argument to build around either. His injury wasn't the entire season either. Over half the season was already over. Besides, other players play through injuries and often do well. Maybe that's another knock on him, who knows.

Otherwise we can sit here and mince words, but I wasn't as impressed with him at Clemson as most were. Yeah, he "took it to the house," but name a big game against a good opponent where he did that? You might find one, but that's about it except for returns.

Aaron Maybon did the same thing at PSU. He "BAM, took it to the house with a sack" often in his last season there, but against whom?

I mean if he had 4,000 All Purpose Yards in some B or C league would that impress you?

IDK, we'll see, but I'm just not seein' it. He doesn't have anything close to optimal size for a rushing RB, and if we can get him to simply return kicks well and as a top returner, and simply catch 500 yards worth of passes, I think that's about all that anyone is ever going to get from him.

I just don't think you're being objective. ... imagine that in a fan forum.

; )

You might have a point if he didn't hold out.

Apples and oranges... That has everything to do with money and nothing to do with on-field performance.

Are you suggesting that he should have just accepted whatever deal the Bills offered because they were gracious enough to draft him 1-2 rounds higher than he should have been? Again, he had nothing to do with the drafted position he landed in.

We'd then be attacking his mental capabilities/business savvy along with his lack of physical abilities...

Well, making excuses for his play isn't exactly a great argument to build around either. His injury wasn't the entire season either. Over half the season was already over. Besides, other players play through injuries and often do well. Maybe that's another knock on him, who knows. No excuses just the facts ( you seem to exclude them I see.)

Otherwise we can sit here and mince words, but I wasn't as impressed with him at Clemson as most were. Yeah, he "took it to the house," but name a big game against a good opponent where he did that? You might find one, but that's about it except for returns. see the link provided it give 4 yrs of game stats...oops I forgot stats doesn't matter with you.

Aaron Maybon did the same thing at PSU. He "BAM, took it to the house with a sack" often in his last season there, but against whom? C'mon really? Your comparing Maybins abbr 1 yr start as a basis to CJ's 4 yr career? Really...

I mean if he had 4,000 All Purpose Yards in some B or C league would that impress you? NO but he did it in the ACC not Div 1 AA. If that was the case I would agree, I'm just saying lets not label him a "bust" after 1 yr.

IDK, we'll see, but I'm just not seein' it. He doesn't have anything close to optimal size for a rushing RB, (- see the other CJ...Chris Johnson 5'10"- 200 lbs.) and if we can get him to simply return kicks well and as a top returner, and simply catch 500 yards worth of passes, I think that's about all that anyone is ever going to get from him.

I just don't think you're being objective. ... imagine that in a fan forum. HONESTLY!!!! YOUR LABELING THE GUY A BUST AFTER ONE YEAR!!! WITH A HAMSTRING INJURY... LOL

; )

I tried to answer some of your queries above ^^^^I'm done with this topic, can we agree to disagree? Lets let the season play out & see what CJ does in his 2nd yr with CG.

I think the problem with Maybin is not his lack of motivation, but his lack of size. He is simply not big enough to play NFL DE or even linebacker on a consistent basis. The Bills either need to hope he is still growing (he's only what, 21) or begin to see if his athletic skills can be transferred to another position like TE or Safety. No sense cutting someone with this much athletic ability before exploring all options.

Maybin is same height as schobel but heavier

Maybin is same height as schobel but heavier

Here's the thing though, D.

Schobel grew up on a ranch… he's a rawboned, country-strong guy who slimmed down because of being a rush end. There were recent reports that he ballooned up to 300 pounds since retiring before recently "slimming down" into the 280 range.

Maybin on the other hand has had a well-documented inability to keep weight on. He weighed more at the combine than he did when he reported to the Bills. Then there was an article mid-rookie season that he had bulked up but the number was still less than the combine number.

Maybin's got narrow hips and small bone-diameter… his frame looks like Terrell Owens' so as far as simple height/weight, I wouldn't put too much stock into that.

By all the talk emanating from the Bills, Maybin will have to earn his place on the roster this year and that is as it should be. If he does, good for him and good for us.

Apples and oranges... That has everything to do with money and nothing to do with on-field performance.

Are you suggesting that he should have just accepted whatever deal the Bills offered because they were gracious enough to draft him 1-2 rounds higher than he should have been? Again, he had nothing to do with the drafted position he landed in.

We'd then be attacking his mental capabilities/business savvy along with his lack of physical abilities...

Read my avatar caption.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you're going to hold out you better perform or prepare to feel the fans' wrath.

Here's the thing though, D.

Schobel grew up on a ranch… he's a rawboned, country-strong guy who slimmed down because of being a rush end. There were recent reports that he ballooned up to 300 pounds since retiring before recently "slimming down" into the 280 range.

Maybin on the other hand has had a well-documented inability to keep weight on. He weighed more at the combine than he did when he reported to the Bills. Then there was an article mid-rookie season that he had bulked up but the number was still less than the combine number.

Maybin's got narrow hips and small bone-diameter… his frame looks like Terrell Owens' so as far as simple height/weight, I wouldn't put too much stock into that.

By all the talk emanating from the Bills, Maybin will have to earn his place on the roster this year and that is as it should be. If he does, good for him and good for us.

I'm no a big "size" guy, like I tell my guys at work,

You can do anything as long as you have heart and coffee

I'm not a big "size" guy, like I tell my guys at work,

You can do anything as long as you have heart and coffee

We all think we know what he's missing… as long as he can figure it out, that's all that matters.

Maybe we should pitch in and buy him Starbucks gift cards… at least we'd be able to rule that part out.