Jimmy Carter NYTimes op-ed

But they probably won’t turn to the United States for advice. Drug policies here are more punitive and counterproductive than in other democracies, and have brought about an explosion in prison populations. At the end of 1980, just before I left office, 500,000 people were incarcerated in America; at the end of 2009 the number was nearly 2.3 million. There are 743 people in prison for every 100,000 Americans, a higher portion than in any other country and seven times as great as in Europe. Some 7.2 million people are either in prison or on probation or parole — more than 3 percent of all American adults!

Some of this increase has been caused by mandatory minimum sentencing and “three strikes you’re out” laws. But about three-quarters of new admissions to state prisons are for nonviolent crimes. And the single greatest cause of prison population growth has been the war on drugs, with the number of people incarcerated for nonviolent drug offenses increasing more than twelvefold since 1980.

Not only has this excessive punishment destroyed the lives of millions of young people and their families (disproportionately minorities), but it is wreaking havoc on state and local budgets. Former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger pointed out that, in 1980, 10 percent of his state’s budget went to higher education and 3 percent to prisons; in 2010, almost 11 percent went to prisons and only 7.5 percent to higher education.

I'm kind of shocked that I actually agree with Jimmy Carter on something.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/17/opinion/17carter.html?_r=2

I'm kind of shocked that I actually agree with Jimmy Carter on something.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/17/opinion/17carter.html?_r=2

Not that I disagree with much of what he said...but I still need to point out that Jimmy Carter is hardly an objective source in the matter, considering his core voting block basically amounted to "People who were too stoned to realize they were voting for Jimmy Carter."

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I disagree with much of what he said...but I still need to point out that Jimmy Carter is hardly an objective source in the matter, considering his core voting block basically amounted to "People who were too stoned to realize they were voting for Jimmy Carter."

Jimmy Carter got a bumb rap. The GOP brainwashed people into believing in "runaway inflation". Even though, 78 million baby boomers were just starting to enter their prime spending years. Inflation is a myth. But, if it did happen in the 70s, the baby boomer's demand for products is the reason for it. If anything, price deflation is a real concern (check current housing prices), not inflation.

And it just so happens, that baby boomers are retiring and their spending years are over with and now we have a hyperinflated "credit bubble" that has burst.

As far as the drug was is concerned, Carter has this wrong. If we end the war on drugs, the drug problem in America will only get worse. We have proven that we can't handle much of anything. It may work in other countries, but it won't work in the USA.

Jimmy Carter got a bumb rap.

And having screaming Iranians on TV every night before the election is what got Reagan elected. Reagan then kept Paul Volker on--Carter's choice--at the Fed and took all the creadit for the economic turn around that took place.

Carter all made the right call on the POS B-1 bomber. What junk

And having screaming Iranians on TV every night before the election is what got Reagan elected. Reagan then kept Paul Volker on--Carter's choice--at the Fed and took all the creadit for the economic turn around that took place.

Carter all made the right call on the POS B-1 bomber. What junk

You might be taken more seriously around here if you could put a coherent sentence together, then people would only have to deal with your f up'd ideas.

It never replaced the B-52 which was 30 years older than it.

I don't know where you're living, but in our world, cause comes BEFORE effect, not after.

And I was daring you to explain why it was a piece of ****.

Edited by DC Tom

I don't know where you're living, but in our world, cause comes BEFORE effect, not after.

And I was daring you to explain why it was a piece of ****.

But in our world, doesn't proof count for anything? Time has proved Carter right and Reagan wrong. Why can't you understand something so simple? What type of world do you live in that proof and facts are to be excluded? :nana:

But, the penatration bomber idea? I mean really? Leaving aside all the technical problems it had, what the heck is the point of that bomber when we had a missle fleet based in subs and ICBM's.

But in our world, doesn't proof count for anything?

Yes, it does. PROVE the B-1 is a piece of ****.

Time has proved Carter right and Reagan wrong. Why can't you understand something so simple? What type of world do you live in that proof and facts are to be excluded? :nana:

You're an idiot. You haven't presented any proof or facts yet.

But, the penatration bomber idea? I mean really? Leaving aside all the technical problems it had, what the heck is the point of that bomber when we had a missle fleet based in subs and ICBM's.

You're an idiot. You have no understanding of the contemporary nuclear strategy. If ignorance is bliss, you must be the happiest person on the face of whatever imaginary world you're living in.

But in our world, doesn't proof count for anything? Time has proved Carter right and Reagan wrong. Why can't you understand something so simple? What type of world do you live in that proof and facts are to be excluded? :nana:

Read up on stuff that happened before you were born. Some of us are old enough to have already been adults when Carter was president. I voted for Ford.