Ralph's not the only cheap owner...

eball

No. Unfortunately, NFL teams are actually increasing some revenues and decreasing expenses as we speak.

Because there was no salary cap (ceiling or floor last year) at least ten teams spent under the cap floor and several teams spent as much as $30 million below the floor… giving themselves an increased war chest as the lockout approached.

Also, as the NFL recently announced, league-wide, season ticket sales are ahead of last year's pace.

On top of this, teams are not spending money on the added costs of organized team activities and minicamps this offseason. So they are saving money in that regard as well.

Yet another area where the owners are saving money is in the area of workout bonuses which some players have in their contracts. While this is not typically a huge expense, it can in some cases be quite substantial. D'Brickashaw Ferguson will not be paid his $750,000 workout bonus. Vince Wilfork has weight and workout bonuses totaling $215,000.

At this moment, the owners have saved in expenses compared to a typical offseason and increased some revenues.

The fact that several owners have not reduced the compensation to coaches and other non-football staff tells you that not all owners treat their employees the same.

Sales may not be up.....

http://www.cbssports...475988/29834857

Yes, I saw this. Thank you.

It came out a few hours after I posted.

If you read the link, there's initially a healthy dose of skepticism AND ultimately an acceptance of the newest figures.

It does make sense that sales have tapered off in the last month as the lockout has dragged on.

But again, without the owners opening their books and documenting their claims, many people will not accept these claims as the truth.

And the larger point remains the same… that to this point, revenues have remained largely unchanged while expenses have decreased.

Yes, I saw this. Thank you.

It came out a few hours after I posted.

If you read the link, there's initially a healthy dose of skepticism AND ultimately an acceptance of the newest figures.

It does make sense that sales have tapered off in the last month as the lockout has dragged on.

But again, without the owners opening their books and documenting their claims, many people will not accept these claims as the truth.

And the larger point remains the same… that to this point, revenues have remained largely unchanged while expenses have decreased.

Yeah, I don't believe any of them. No one is hurting for money, including the players. Now once games get cancelled and paychecks get missed but the owners are not hurting.

And if the season gets canceled, do they get to keep the money from those advanced season ticket sales?

Weren't the Dolphins one of the first teams to start cutting costs and staff this offseason?

How many other places of employment are you still going to get paid while the company is on strike or shut down? I think I have heard more crying from apparent "fans" around here about coaches and staff having their pay cut then from the coaches and staff themselves.

I bet the Patriots are giving all of their coaches and staff raises while the lockout goes on :rolleyes:

And if the season gets canceled, do they get to keep the money from those advanced season ticket sales?

Weren't the Dolphins one of the first teams to start cutting costs and staff this offseason?

How many other places of employment are you still going to get paid while the company is on strike or shut down? I think I have heard more crying from apparent "fans" around here about coaches and staff having their pay cut then from the coaches and staff themselves.

I bet the Patriots are giving all of their coaches and staff raises while the lockout goes on :rolleyes:

Yes. The coaches should complain about their compensation getting cut. They'd only piss off the owners. What's the big deal? :)

On another aspect, even though revenues haven't really been affected to this point, I'm not against the owners cutting payroll as long as the lost pay is restored if no games are lost.

Sooner or later, we'll know just what the owners' motivation was in cutting employee compensation.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan