Merriman Coachable Tweet

Thank you, I thought that's what I said too.

You're both welcome to your incorrect opinion.

My point, is you really have to be board to insist that Maybin is coachable.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Being coachable and being able to perform are two entirely different things. Maybin is coachable and a hard worker, he's just not good.

Not sure where you get the idea that the coaches believe he is listening to them. We had a thread about Maybin on the front page here for weeks.

Gailey is CLEARLY frustrated with him. But if there wasn't any potential there he would be gone by now.

My interpretation is that Gailey thinks Maybin believes that he is a much more talented player than he actually is and that is preventing him from reaching his potential.

I used the example of Cameron Wake, a very comparable player to Maybin. Wake had similar physical skills as the vastly overdrafted Maybin and went undrafted and got cut in his first NFL camp.

When posed with the reality of needing make it work in football or find a real job the light came on for him. He realized he needed in his words "toughness, versatility and want-to". IMO, that is EXACTLY what is lacking in Maybin and keeping him from contributing anything whatsoever. I'm not saying he could be great, but his lack of competitiveness is making him a laughingstock.

Those are things coaches will preach but some players don't understand that they aren't talented enough to get by without competing on the field like their life depended on it. When you see a guy like James Harrison get cut 2-3 times before he becomes the NFL defensive MVP, you realize that being a hard-nosed SOB is often the difference between great and being useless like Maybin. Doesn't help that Maybin is already a multi-millionaire but if the coaches are telling you that you need to stick your nose in there and start giving the punishment instead of absorbing it, and he is still not doing it.......that is the definition of being not coachable.

I would answer your question with another question or two.

Do you think Merriman's tweet was just generalized musings… musings that weren't prompted by anything?

Do you think it's more likely that Merriman's comments were addressed at someone or that they weren't addressed at anyone?

If his tweet wasn't directed at someone, why would he tweet something like that?

IMO, the comment was directed at someone.

That said, it could have been directed at his nephew so in that regard, I agree that it's pointless to guess who it was directed at.

Maybe some young kid playing football tweeted him asking for advice. Maybe it's in reference to something else altogether.

Very good possibility it has nothing whatsoever to do with anyone associated with the Bills. Like you say, pointless to guess.

Who says he's not coachable? If he wasn't he would already be gone. Or more likely would never have

made it to the league in the first place. He just hasn't gotten results. Doesn't mean he isn't working

hard or isn't listening. It might turn out the dude just isn't a good enough player. No reason other than

that. But we shall see soon enough. He's down to his last stand for sure.

Not sure where you get the idea that the coaches believe he is listening to them. We had a thread about Maybin on the front page here for weeks.

Gailey is CLEARLY frustrated with him. But if there wasn't any potential there he would be gone by now.

My interpretation is that Gailey thinks Maybin believes that he is a much more talented player than he actually is and that is preventing him from reaching his potential.

I used the example of Cameron Wake, a very comparable player to Maybin. Wake had similar physical skills as the vastly overdrafted Maybin and went undrafted and got cut in his first NFL camp.

When posed with the reality of needing make it work in football or find a real job the light came on for him. He realized he needed in his words "toughness, versatility and want-to". IMO, that is EXACTLY what is lacking in Maybin and keeping him from contributing anything whatsoever. I'm not saying he could be great, but his lack of competitiveness is making him a laughingstock.

Those are things coaches will preach but some players don't understand that they aren't talented enough to get by without competing on the field like their life depended on it. When you see a guy like James Harrison get cut 2-3 times before he becomes the NFL defensive MVP, you realize that being a hard-nosed SOB is often the difference between great and being useless like Maybin. Doesn't help that Maybin is already a multi-millionaire but if the coaches are telling you that you need to stick your nose in there and start giving the punishment instead of absorbing it, and he is still not doing it.......that is the definition of being not coachable.

My point is there are thousands of really good Division 1 athletes each year that never make it to the pros (not just football) but I'm positive a good portion of them are not uncoachable, they just can't perform at a professional level. I don't think Maybin will turn out to be anything other than an enormous bust, but that doesn't mean he is uncoachable.

I would answer your question with another question or two.

Do you think Merriman's tweet was just generalized musings… musings that weren't prompted by anything?

Do you think it's more likely that Merriman's comments were addressed at someone or that they weren't addressed at anyone?

If his tweet wasn't directed at someone, why would he tweet something like that?

IMO, the comment was directed at someone.

That said, it could have been directed at his nephew so in that regard, I agree that it's pointless to guess who it was directed at.

If you follow someone for a while, you get a feel for them. Merriman seems to like to tweet "words to the wise" type stuff that isn't obviously part of a conversation or exchange.

It could be prompted by someone - younger relative, friend, HS or college player asking how to tell if they have enough talent or such like.

I don't see any reason to imagine it as directed at a teammate he really hasn't worked with yet. I don't see that as his style.

I think he'd be more direct and more private.

When you're right, you're right.

Whatever one feels about Bill Romanowski, it was clear from reading his book** that he was one super-hard working SOB and that's exactly what he did - compete like his life depended on it. He may have been dirty, that was far from being enough. He was also one hard-working driven hard-nosed SOB.

(**I borrowed from library didn't want to buy it)

Maybe some young kid playing football tweeted him asking for advice. Maybe it's in reference to something else altogether.

Very good possibility it has nothing whatsoever to do with anyone associated with the Bills. Like you say, pointless to guess.

Who says he's not coachable? If he wasn't he would already be gone. Or more likely would never have

made it to the league in the first place. He just hasn't gotten results. Doesn't mean he isn't working

hard or isn't listening. It might turn out the dude just isn't a good enough player. No reason other than

that. But we shall see soon enough. He's down to his last stand for sure.

To answer your question.

Anyone, that is paying attention.