1982 NFL Strike Season

Remember those replacements?

Wait ... I do remember; this might be the time! Grabbing a couple of footballs and heading down to Delaware Park. I'm in good shape 5'10" 210 lbs ... Have more than one move, which is more than AM has ... this could be the year from the stands to the field!

I was at the first game. The Fish vs the Bills. Shameful display of football..about 15 penalities on each side, sloppy execution....just so they could take our money. If they do that again, I will never spend a dime again on pro football.

I was at the first game. The Fish vs the Bills. Shameful display of football..about 15 penalities on each side, sloppy execution....just so they could take our money. If they do that again, I will never spend a dime again on pro football.

Those weren't replacements, so what do you mean just so they could take our money?

BTW, the thing I remember most from that game was it poured all day long. And, it was just warm enough that it wasn't snow - which would have been better.

To me, the two strikes were bookends to a terrible era.

In '80 and '81, we made the playoffs. In '82, we go to 2-0 after a thrilling Thursday night game vs. Vikes.

Then, the strikes happens, and we went down the tubes.

Then, the 2nd strike happens in '87 and a lot then was said about how that '82 team got ripped apart during the strike. And, the '87 players made a point of practicing, getting together, etc. (like they are now) in order to be ready when the season got restarted - they learned the lessons of '82.

They came out and almost made the playoffs that year, and we all know what happened after that.

Remember those replacements?

There were no replacement players in 1982. That was 1987. In 1982 there was just 7 weeks or so of on football in the middle of the season. Then they came back and played a handful of games and had an expanded playoff format.

There were no replacement players in 1982. That was 1987. In 1982 there was just 7 weeks or so of on football in the middle of the season. Then they came back and played a handful of games and had an expanded playoff format.

Correct...mostly. The Bills started out 2-0, looked great in their first two games (a Thursday night game against the Vikings IIRC)then, they missed 7 games, and came back looking bad...went 2-5 after the strike, to finish 4-5. It really was a sad way to end that great era of Bills football...

Edited by Buftex