Ganja Ricky

jarthur31

Anyway, Fez, again, he has said on several occasions that Marijuana is the best treatment for his anxiety. Until you've walked a mile in his shoes (at least about that) you really can't judge him for that.

163906[/snapback]

There are other (non-medical) ways to deal with anxiety that (from what we've heard) he hasn't tried. That means he's not an addict.

CW

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are other (non-medical) ways to deal with anxiety that (from what we've heard) he hasn't tried.  That means he's not an addict.

CW

163935[/snapback]

Like I said, walk a mile in his shoes....

If he found something that works, weed, that in all honesty has LESS side effects than 99% of any prescription drugs, why would he bother?

Like it was quoted in that article - he was 23, rich beyond imagination, and miserable.

Before judging, just read some of the side effects from anti-anxiety medications. Then realize he is smoking an herb that grows in the ground and being ridiculed for it. Something is majorly wrong with that picture. I guess so long as the FDA approves it, its OK to be hooked.

If Ricky is happy then good for him.

I would lose respect for RW if he came back from retirement after all that he has said.

I do have some loss of respect for him based on the way he left Miami high and dry.

but I have no problem with him or anyone for smoking weed, as long as it is not on the clock

Its just so funny to me that Marijuana is illegal, yet Xanax is given to patients like Pez...

from a website about Xanax withdrawl (ya know, withdrawl from a drug prescribed by a doctor):

In the early stage of withdrawal, there is a presentation of a sense of anxiety and apprehension associated with increasing subjective sense of tremor and mild bifrontal headache. This rapidly progresses to feelings of panic-like anxiety with tachycardia and palpitations, as well as a rapidly progressing feeling of de-realization, which is an altered sense of reality, additionally associated with marked startle response and a general amplification of most sensory input. As the withdrawal syndrome progresses, there is a marked disturbance of proprioception, with difficulty in ambulation relative to feeling "dizzy" and "unsteady," needing to use reference and physical objects to steady oneself. With the proprioceptive problem increasing in severity simple acts such as swallowing, signing one's name, talking or even buttoning a shirt can become extremely difficult. many patients at this stage describe hot/cold sensations and generalized myalgia.

"There is also a progession of extreme emotional lability with sudden outbursts of crying or near panic levels of anxiety and fearfulness which will have sudden onset without clear connection to external events. Associated with this are frequent hypochodriacal fears of morbid consequence from the sensations they are feeling, such as fear of heart attack or stroke. patients will also experience a type of emotional dysphoria which is very difficult for them to verbalize, but which come very close by cumulative description to a bereavement type of feeling that is very painful emotionally. Additionally, the amplification of almost all sensory information coming into the brain, other than that of taste, can produce many bizarre misinterpretation of sensory stimulation ranging from feeling one's teeth rotating in their sockets to parts of their bodies disassociating or "falling off". "

"As the withdrawal symptom further progresses, illusionary and hallucinatory phenomena, predominately of a visual nature, will begin to manifest themselves, initially with patterens and geometric shapes, and then into full-formed complex visual hallucinations."

With further progression, disorientation to person and place will occur with full delirium, and eventually withdrawal will finalize with tonic-clonic major motor seizure activity

"The withdrawal syndrome can take from six months to two years to fully resolve and is well-documented in literature regarding this. Not all patients will experience withdrawal symptomology for that length of time, but most will have withdrawal for at least several months. "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, anyone care to site some marijuana withdrawl articles? No? Alright, I will:

Ok, even though it is argued that there is no such thing this article states that,

"Symptoms of marijuana withdrawal first appear in chronic users within 24 hours. Marijuana withdrawal is most pronounced for the first 10 days and can last up to 28 days. "

Marijuana Withdrawal symptoms include but are not limited to:

irritability

anxiety

physical tension

decreases in appetite and mood

I couldn't IMAGINE why Ricky would choose weed....

Like I said, walk a mile in his shoes....

If he found something that works, weed, that in all honesty has LESS side effects than 99% of any prescription drugs, why would he bother?

Like it was quoted in that article - he was 23, rich beyond imagination, and miserable.

Before judging, just read some of the side effects from anti-anxiety medications. Then realize he is smoking an herb that grows in the ground and being ridiculed for it.  Something is majorly wrong with that picture.  I guess so long as the FDA approves it, its OK to be hooked.

164155[/snapback]

Like I said, "non-medical....."

Not everything needs a drug (legal or otherwise) to help. Counseling can work just as well.

And again, he's letting a drug run his life, therefore he's an addict plain and simple. Not judging, just stating a clear fact.

CW

The simple fact of the matter is, Ricky Williams is an addict. The comparisons to "drinking beer every now and then" don't even enter into it. He's letting the weed control his life, his job, etc, and that's the definition of addiction.

What utter nonsense. By that reasoning I'm addicted to sex. If any employer told me I couldn't have sex while I worked for them, I'd quit that job yesterday. I guess I need counseling and rehab.

And how many people would quit their jobs if their employer decided that they weren't allowed to have a drink while they were working for them. Are all of those people "addicted" to alchohol? No, they would just be making a lifestyle choice like Ricky did.

you'd be surprised how many people start with weed and then go onto the harder drugs.

And you'd be surprised how many people start with weed and Don't go onto the harder drugs.

According to Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (which is a subsidiary of the US Dept. of Health and Human Services), The ‘gateway’ claim is a myth. Marijuana is the most widely used illicit drug so it is very likely that people who use less commonly-used drugs will have also tried marijuana. That does not mean marijuana led to hard drug use. The research indicates most marijuana users do not go onto use hard drugs; marijuana is more properly viewed as a strainer that catches most illicit drug users and they go no further. A study by the federal government itself shows that less than 7% of people who try marijuana go on to try cocaine and only 3 ½ % of them go on to try heroin.

Leave it to the federal government to discredit a theory it actually claims to support.

Don't buy the bullshlt, Fez.

The NFL's drug policy is actually pretty lenient

163873[/snapback]

Umm, compared to what? I'd say of the big 4 sports, the NFL is by far the strictest.

Lots of Basketball and Baseball players toke, yet when do you hear about it? Oh that's right, when they're dumb enough to bring it on an airplane. When have you heard of any other leagues suspending people for marijuana "abuse?"

I agree with Steve, walk in his shoes before getting on your soapbox.

Umm,  compared to what?  I'd say of the big 4 sports,  the NFL is by far the strictest.

Lots of Basketball and Baseball players toke,  yet when do you hear about it?  Oh that's right,  when they're dumb enough to bring it on an airplane.  When have you heard of any other leagues suspending people for marijuana "abuse?" 

I agree with Steve,  walk in his shoes before getting on your soapbox.

164315[/snapback]

What the hell? I simply say that, by the very definition of addition, that he's an addict, and I'm on a soapbox? :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

The NFL drug rules are very lenient compared to most companies in the US. If you fail a drug test for most companies, you're fired no questions asked. In the NFL, the public doesn't even hear about the first 2 or 3 offenses! That's lenient.

What utter nonsense. By that reasoning I'm addicted to sex. If any employer told me I couldn't have sex while I worked for them, I'd quit that job yesterday. I guess I need counseling and rehab.

Not true. Ricky KNEW that smoking pot would lead to suspensions in the NFL, yet he chose to do so anyway. Right or wrong, the pot is controlling his life. There's no laws against having sex (well, you know what I mean), there's no rules stating you can't have sex to perform your job, therefore sex isn't controlling your life and you're not addicted. Now if you routinely missed work to have sex, started doing a poor job because of sex, etc, then yes, you would be an addict. If you're going to make an assine comment, at least compare apples to apples. :o

Don't buy the bullshlt, Fez

I'm not, I'm just relaying facts from someone who works in the field. But I guess the stuff she sees everyday has no bearing on reality :lol:

CW

What the hell?  I simply say that, by the very definition of addition, that he's an addict, and I'm on a soapbox?  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

The NFL drug rules are very lenient compared to most companies in the US.  If you fail a drug test for most companies, you're fired no questions asked.  In the NFL, the public doesn't even hear about the first 2 or 3 offenses!  That's lenient.

Not true.  Ricky KNEW that smoking pot would lead to suspensions in the NFL, yet he chose to do so anyway.  Right or wrong, the pot is controlling his life.  There's no laws against having sex (well, you know what I mean), there's no rules stating you can't have sex to perform your job, therefore sex isn't controlling your life and you're not addicted.  Now if you routinely missed work to have sex, started doing a poor job because of sex, etc, then yes, you would be an addict.  If you're going to make an assine comment, at least compare apples to apples. :o

Don't buy the bullshlt, Fez

I'm not, I'm just relaying facts from someone who works in the field. But I guess the stuff she sees everyday has no bearing on reality :lol:

CW

164428[/snapback]

Ooooh, the fu similie, what a knob. Yes, as usual you were on your soapbox, sorry the truth hurts.

Ooooh,  the fu similie,  what a knob.  Yes,  as usual you were on your soapbox,  sorry the truth hurts.

:o You jump to conclusions and I'm the knob? Typical.

Oh, and it's not a similie. Although I could think of some for ya if you want. (there, NOW I'm on a soapbox for ya.)

CW

Ricky KNEW that smoking pot would lead to suspensions in the NFL, yet he chose to do so anyway. Right or wrong, the pot is controlling his life. 

In my hypothetical I would also KNOW that sex would lead to suspension or firing, but I would do it anyway. So in your estimation I'm addicted to sex and it's controlling my life. oh gawd, I think I need help.....

There's no laws against having sex (well, you know what I mean),

So you're definition of addiction relies on law? :o

Whatever.....

there's no rules stating you can't have sex to perform your job, therefore sex isn't controlling your life and you're not addicted.

So are you stating that if the NFL did not have rules barring marijuana, then Ricky suddenly isn't an addict? Addiction is defined by NFL rules as opposed to what one uses and how they use it? You sure have some wierd conditions for "addiction".

And multiple studies have shown that marijuana is NOT addictive, regardless of what you need to believe.

Now if you routinely missed work to have sex, started doing a poor job because of sex, etc, then yes, you would be an addict.

Ricky missed work and did a poor job? Gee I wonder who that was mowing over defenders and being a one-man NFL offense for the last couple years......

If you're going to make an assine comment, at least compare apples to apples.

I'm sorry if my asinine comment upset your little fantasy world. Apparently you have been so conditioned by years of political dogma and yellow journalism that you are now incapable of considering the possibility that you're being lied to. Which you are.

If you're comfortable in your world of self-assured make-believe, so be it. Who am I to want to take that away from you.

Cya

:o  You jump to conclusions and I'm the knob?  Typical.

Oh, and it's not a similie.  Although I could think of some for ya if you want. (there, NOW I'm on a soapbox for ya.)

CW

164498[/snapback]

I'm gonna take the high road here, and quit responding. Have a nice weekend.

Legalize it !!!!!

lets spend all of the revenue (100's of millions) spent on persecuting non violent MJ users towards eliminating more problematic substances like coaine, heroine, and meth.

And how many people would quit their jobs if their employer decided that they weren't allowed to have a drink while they were working for them. Are all of those people "addicted" to alchohol? No, they would just be making a lifestyle choice like Ricky did.

And you'd be surprised how many people start with weed and Don't go onto the harder drugs.

According to Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (which is a subsidiary of the US Dept. of Health and Human Services),  The ‘gateway’ claim is a myth. Marijuana is the most widely used illicit drug so it is very likely that people who use less commonly-used drugs will have also tried marijuana. That does not mean marijuana led to hard drug use. The research indicates most marijuana users do not go onto use hard drugs; marijuana is more properly viewed as a strainer that catches most illicit drug users and they go no further. A study by the federal government itself shows that less than 7% of people who try marijuana go on to try cocaine and only 3 ½ % of them go on to try heroin.

Leave it to the federal government to discredit a theory it actually claims to support.

Don't buy the bullshlt, Fez.

164263[/snapback]

I'm sure there are alot of hardcore drug addicts who didn't try alcohol and/or cigarettes before taking their first toke. Sure there are. :o

Reefer Madness. Reefer Madness.

I'm sure there are alot of hardcore drug addicts who didn't try alcohol and/or cigarettes before taking their first toke.  Sure there are.  :o

Reefer Madness.  Reefer Madness.

164792[/snapback]

But there is a HUGE difference between the type of person who starts using weed and for the next 30 years doesn't touch a harder drug and the person who smokes a joint and the next month is in a heroine coma.

If weed wasn't there, the latter group would still have found a way to "kill" whatever paid they were trying to kill.

smoke dope in large amounts!  :o  I used to smoke alot but only on occasion now.  I am always around some quality stuff.  My friends are all huge heads.  If it feels good do it.  Lifes too short not to enjoy what you enjoy

163782[/snapback]

That is a disturbing comment. How is it that some vices are ok but others are not?