Not a Jauron draft despite the DB's

although i do agree or at least hope Poz will be back the only other player you mentioned worth anything is Moats who I like a lot

Ayodele, Coleman, Kelsay and Maybin, seriously? Batten was a question mark before getting hurt so who knows now

I'll tell you the Bills biggest need going into the draft was the defensive front 7 and for a team playing the 3-4 had very little talent and depth at LB and couldnt rush the passer at all

your thinking is no better then the Bills, you worry about covering receivers before stopping the run and rushing the passer

Granted, but from a sheer numbers standpoint, DB is a much greater need.

Remember, there will still be soooooooome opportunity for FA, presumably. The offseason hasn't ended. No one can say that any unit hasn't been sufficiently addressed.

If Jauron had been the head of this draft, everyone on this board would be up in arms due to the three CBs. I wanted mostly defense but I thought that would be another quality D lineman (a 7th pick doesn't count) and more LBs One DB would have been enough and we did not need to draft an RB as you can pick up one, just like the one we drafted, easily enough in free agency. We needed more special team and LB depth than what we got IMO. Our special teams suffered last year and we pick one late round LB to help fill that gap.

Granted, but from a sheer numbers standpoint, DB is a much greater need.

Remember, there will still be soooooooome opportunity for FA, presumably. The offseason hasn't ended. No one can say that any unit hasn't been sufficiently addressed.

I am not disagreeing that it was a need it just wasnt their biggest need and i just dont agree they needed to draft a CB in the second round...i would have preferred any of the pass rushers that were still on that board either OLB or DE didnt matter

counting on them resigning Poz is no different then counting on them resigning Florence who I thought was good enough to start for them

I have no problem with the other DB's they drafted

Edited by Max997

If Jauron had been the head of this draft, everyone on this board would be up in arms due to the three CBs. I wanted mostly defense but I thought that would be another quality D lineman (a 7th pick doesn't count) and more LBs One DB would have been enough and we did not need to draft an RB as you can pick up one, just like the one we drafted, easily enough in free agency. We needed more special team and LB depth than what we got IMO. Our special teams suffered last year and we pick one late round LB to help fill that gap.

We would have been all over those picks because we would have taken Peterson 3rd overall and watched Marcel tear up the world in Arizona for years. The we would have taken some undersized backer and talked about his quick first step

I am not disagreeing that it was a need it just wasnt their biggest need and i just dont agree they needed to draft a CB in the second round...i would have preferred any of the pass rushers that were still on that board either OLB or DE didnt matter

counting on them resigning Poz is no different then counting on them resigning Florence who I thought was good enough to start for them

I have no problem with the other DB's they drafted

Bro, go back and read my post.

Pre draft we needed two of the following: McGee, Florence, Youboty JUST to field a dime defense. If one of them goes, if another gets injured, we're !@#$ed.

DB WAS A NEED.

I really like Von Miller but this team hasnt had a stud on the defensive line in way too long so Im more then pleased that Dareus was there at 3

the only problem I have with the draft is taking a DB in the second round. Williams may turn out to be a good player but I would have preferred taking one of hte available pass rushers at that point.

I dont have a problem with the other DB's selected

as I mentioned during the draft and got ripped for it, you can get quality DB's in rounds 4 and 5 that can step right in and contribute and I think the Bills got that in Searcy as they have in the past with McGee and Byrd

Agreed. A LB or DE in the 2nd round made more sense than another DB given the Bills dire need whether Williams was considered a "value" pick or not

The big dfference this year from a Jauron draft - the SIZE of the players taken.

Almost every player they took was above-average size for their position.

Dareus 6'3" 320#

Williams - a 6'0 205# CB

Sheppard 6'2" 250# ILB

Searcy 5'11" 223# DB

Hairston 6'6" 326# OT

J White 5'10" 209# RB

C White 6'3" 240#

7th round Justin Rodgers is the only "small" player at 180# - and even he is a tall (for a CB) 5'11"

And then there is the immmense Jasper, of course, who I believe has his own zip code. Apparently he has dropped 75# on the instruction of Bills coaches, but that still leaves him at 375#!!

In one of his YouTube work-outs, I swear I saw a small moon orbiting him.

Agreed. A LB or DE in the 2nd round made more sense than another DB given the Bills dire need whether Williams was considered a "value" pick or not

How much more dire can a need be when you lack the sheer number of bodies needed to play a basic defensive package? Would someone please address this?

The big dfference this year from a Jauron draft - the SIZE of the players taken.

Dareus 6'3" 320#

Williams - a 6'0 205# CB

Sheppard 6'2" 250# ILB

Searcy 5'11" 223# DB

Hairston 6'6" 326# OT

J White 5'10" 209# RB

C White 6'3" 240#

7th round Justin Rodgers is the only "small" player at 180# - and even he is a tall (for a CB) 5'11"

And then there is the immmense Jasper, of course, who I believe has his own zip code. Apparently he has dropped 75# on the instruction of Bills coaches, but that still leaves him at 375#!!

Yep, and in that same workout video, you'll not his vertical leap is greater than Mallet's.

Edited by The Big Cat

Some folks have short memories - me included.

I really didn't think about DBs as a draft need other than getting a safety before digging a bit.

We had one year not so long ago where we had to put four DBs on injured reserve.

Last year we lost Scott, Youboty, and McGee for some games and we could start out this year without Whitner and/or Florence. We needed some size in our backfield to compete with the larger receivers and NE TE duo...

Finding quality DBs and having depth at the position is always a need. Hopefully some of our younger DBs step up this year, the new crop contributes, and the group stays healthy as a whole.

Could be a big year to be a Buffalo DB - if we can stop the run QBs will be forced to throw (owing somewhat to our pathetic run defense, our DBs faced the second fewest attempts last year), if our front seven is as improved as we think they may be, we should be able to turn up the heat a bit and hurry those throws. Could translate into a big year for generating some turnovers.

Excellent point...And it's not like the front 7 was ignored, we used HALF of our draft picks on our front 7, all with run stuffing ability.

Dareus 6'3" 320#

Williams - a 6'0 205# CB

Sheppard 6'2" 250# ILB

Searcy 5'11" 223# DB

Hairston 6'6" 326# OT

J White 5'10" 209# RB

C White 6'3" 240#

Another terrific point.

I think that was an exercise ball…but I could be wrong.

A natural misunderstanding - zoom in, and you'll be able to make out the craters and the American flags stuck in various spots around the "ball"... :D

Edited by BobChalmers

Dareus 6'3" 320#

Williams - a 6'0 205# CB

Sheppard 6'2" 250# ILB

Searcy 5'11" 223# DB

Hairston 6'6" 326# OT

J White 5'10" 209# RB

C White 6'3" 240#

this is a very good point

that was haha funny

It's still the same pattern the Bills have followed for years. Sure they need to draft more DBs because they keep letting the ones they draft go after their first contracts are up. Whether its because those players didn't live up to expectations (like Whitner) or because the Bills don't want to pay them what the open market does (Winfield, Clements) is irrelevant - it's a treadmill and one the Bills never seem to get off of.

The Bills CREATE the need by bad drafting and an inability to re-sign players when they actually perform. Personally, I'm tired of the RB and DB treadmill and wish they'd get off it so they can use the draft to fill in other areas instead of refilling the same ones time and time again.

Now, that being said I don't think this draft was a bad one - I like most of what they did and the Bills D should be better as a result. And this one year I'm going to give the Bills a pass because of the labor dispute prevented the Bills from filling these needs via FA and perhaps re-signing some of their own players which would have prevented them from using 4 more draft picks on DBs and RBs. It's tough to really look at this draft in terms of what holes the Bills ignored because FA hasn't occurred yet and we don't know their FA plans.

Their drafting pattern, however, still looks eerily similar to past years.

What this draft reminded me of was 1995. That was a great OL draft like this year was probably a great DL draft. The Bills only came away with 1 premium DL selection, and reached for needs like a corner who runs a 4.55 and a LB who runs a 4.8?

I'm not all about track stats, but your early picks should be good football players AND exceptional athletes for their position. That's not the case with Williams(a safety pretending to be a CB) and Shepard(an unexcptional talent in a bad year for ILB).

In 1995 the Bills had a CRYING need at several OL positions and it was an outstanding OL draft. The Bills came away with 1 OL. Ruben Brown, an outstanding player.

But that draft was the first time I realized that the Bills didn't have what it took to work a draft board. The 6 teams after the Bills were absolutely desperate for RB and DL help. Three teams each competing for the same players and everybody knew it. The Bills could have traded back and gained a pick or two while still getting Brown, who was of no interest to those teams, especially in a draft with about a dozen premium OL prospects. Everyone was hot for Hugh Douglas and Tyrone Wheatley. The Bills stayed put.

About 10 slots after the Bills selection there was a huge run on OL, a place where the Bills should have been able to trade up from and get that second stud OL. Instead they got Todd Collins who.........set the franchise back 5 years......as people say, and CB Marlon Kerner a decent but unexceptional CB in round 3. Ruben Brown helped a lot, but they should have come up with a Blake Brockermeyer, Matt O'Dwyer, Zach Weigert.......that was the year to work the draft board and save your aging QB. They didn't get it done and the Bills OL continues to be a problem area since when it might well have been fixed the very first year after it sprung a leak.