Round 2 (Pick #34): CB Aaron Williams - University of Texas

SDS

I don't really like the pick because it's a DB on a team pretty good in the DB department. Sure we have a little need there, but no where near the need we do at LB or OL or even WR for that matter. Yeah Florence is a FA. Maybe we could resign him?

I am a fan of BPA and IF this guy is a better CB than any of the other guys available are at their position, then OK, good pick.

We'll just have to see when football starts if it does.

If we win 8 or more games this year it was a good draft. If not, I can seriously start to question it.

Go BILLS !!

How were we pretty good in the DB department? McGee hasn't played a full season in how many years? McKelvin is wildly inconsistent. Whitner and Florence already have their bags packed to leave Buffalo. We had very little in terms of DBs before the draft.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to stay away from this thread because I knew what it was going to be filled with. Big shock that I was correct..

First off, Bill. I understand that you want to build our OL, especially RT. I too, believe we need to upgrade our RT. But when you're drafting at the top of the 2nd round and there's isn't a RT that you don't see as worth the #34 pick, why would you pick one? Sure, pittsburgh picked Gilbert, 25 picks or so later. We have a NEED for a CB and drafted a player with big upside, has size, plays the slot extremely well and is aggressive in stopping the run. Sounds good to me. Whether or not he becomes a star we won't know for awhile, same goes for Gilbert. Both of the draft publications I have say Gilbert is a 3rd- 4th round prospect. Maybe they thought he'd be there in the 3rd and didnt want to reach on him when they could land a DB in which they gave a 1st round grade. I understand your frustration with them not ever drafting an OT with our top 4 picks, it confuses me as well. But all in all, we are rebuilding the team, not just the OL. We have many holes, not just OT. Draft the players in positions of need that they think have the best chance to be special football players. Just because pittsburgh drafted Gilbert, doesn't mean he's going to be a better pro than Williams. Buddy obviously thinks that isn't the case. We drafted an OT with similar upside as gilbert in the 4th rounds...and we didn't have to bypass a 1st round talent to do so.

The belicheck talk is laughable IMO. Yes, the pats are a great team. A great team that hasn't achieved their ONLY goal for several seasons. Each year, they trade down and acquire more and more picks. Then, instead of using the picks, they do the same thing. This year for instance, they trade down with the saints, who draft a player that would have helped them substantially THIS season. Instead, they trade down, get another 1st next year, in which they will most likely trade and acquire more picks for the following year. They've been doing this for years now, and have yet to win a SB (recently). Bypassing players that can help them win NOW, instead trying to make sure they remain a top team, that doesn't get the job done, quite possibly because they don't have the talent. The funny thing is, they traded down and bypassed Ingram, only to draft TWO rbs in round 2 and 3. I just don't get it. Sure they're good, but while Tom Brady is wearing a uniform, they should be concentrating on being the best...and they're not....and I'm glad.

-The pats take more DBS than us.

Take the players you like most in the positions of need, rather than reach and take a player you don't really like, just because he plays a position of need. We did that in 2006 with Whitner and McCargo. I'm not saying it always works out like it did in 2006, but I'd rather draft the bpa at any position of need rather than draft to fill the biggest need with a player you're not sold on.

Edited by NewEra

whatever - if you are a drink the kool-aid fan or work for the Bills, I don't care how much spin you put on it, here is the reality:

Year - W - L

2005 - 5 - 11

2006 - 7 - 9

2007 - 7 - 9

2008 - 7 - 9

2009 - 6 - 10

2010 - 4 - 12

The reality is that the Bills needed D help. They took the draft's best D-Lineman with Pick 1, and the draft's best safety (or 2nd best and hardest-hitting CB) in Pick 2. I know you had other plans for the Bills. Let's let Buddy Nix have his turn first before we let you take over.

I don't ever remember reading so many mixed scouting reports on a single player as Aaron Williams.

He's fast. He's slow.

He is great against the pass. He allows too many catches.

He is good tackler. He is a poor tackler.

etc...etc...

Looking forward to seeing how this kid pans out.

Reporter asked Nix if the Bills had interest in Dowling, Nix replied, "Yeah, we liked him, but he wasn't there."

So I'm not getting where Williams is better than Dowling when Dowling's bigger, faster, and has more career interceptions. If anything they're even.

But then you watch Williams try and cover Blackmon, a physical beast, a WR he's likely to face in the NFL, and you come away completely unimpressed.

Dowling is not bigger than Williams.

What is your point anyways? The Bills couldn't draft Dowling because he was already drafted.

If anything it's the Gatriots that have to watch Williams and think we could have had him instead, if Dowling doesn't work out.

Edited by Why So Serious?