Late Round QB

As I watched the ESPN special on the QBs path to the draft, I noticed that one of the QBs is very rarely spoken about even though his combine measurables were really high. If we were to take a mid round QB as a project to learn behind Fitz, why not look at Tyrod Taylor? His game is compared with one Michael Vick(please no dog fighting references, lets stick to football attributes). With a coach like Gailey, who we all know his resume with athletic QBs, this could turn into a great pick. This would allow us to focus on Defense and OL early and select our QB in the 4-5 round. Just a thought.

POW!!!!

I've been singing Tyrod's praises for a while now...he likely will never be starting material, but I have no doubt he could be a very dangerous weapon in the hands of someone like Chan Gailey. Screw the wildcat....bring back the Slash!!!!

Tyrod can play in this league...

As I watched the ESPN special on the QBs path to the draft, I noticed that one of the QBs is very rarely spoken about even though his combine measurables were really high. If we were to take a mid round QB as a project to learn behind Fitz, why not look at Tyrod Taylor? His game is compared with one Michael Vick(please no dog fighting references, lets stick to football attributes). With a coach like Gailey, who we all know his resume with athletic QBs, this could turn into a great pick. This would allow us to focus on Defense and OL early and select our QB in the 4-5 round. Just a thought.

POW!!!!

Draft him to do what, play cornerback? He's a gimmick player in the NFL, and not a very good one at that.

Draft him to do what, play cornerback? He's a gimmick player in the NFL, and not a very good one at that.

Tyrod's a better passer than most give him credit for, and his physical gifts speak for themselves. As a previous poster suggested, I don't think that he will ever be a starting caliber QB in this league. I can see him, however, being a good back-up QB/gimmick player. If any coach can utilize Tyrod...it's Gailey.

Another suggestion for a possible mid to late round QB pick would be Ricky Stanzi from Iowa. He has excellent size, is a good character guy, and improved every season at Iowa. Could be a steal in the 4th - 5th round.

There were quite a few VT games on TV this year and I was impressed by him. He's mobile but he always makes sure to set his feet properly before he throws. I was impressed. I actually think he has more of a grip on being a true passer than Vick did when he was in Atlanta. He's determined and wants to prove himself. Don't we have an extra 4th round pick?

Another suggestion for a possible mid to late round QB pick would be Ricky Stanzi from Iowa. He has excellent size, is a good character guy, and improved every season at Iowa. Could be a steal in the 4th - 5th round.

Agreed. I think he'll go higher than you think; maybe late 3rd-early 4th. Another good option.

I think Levi Brown has worked out pretty well so far…better than Kyle Calloway for instance…better than Ed Wang I would say...

Brown played quite well in the preseason finale against Detroit. Big, tall, strong, great arm…I wouldn't write Levi Brown off.

As far as "gimmick QBs," there's a wide variance between a second rounder like Pat White (who I still can't believe that Parcells drafted) and a fifth rounder like Dennis Dixon who might actually have the ability to be a bona fide weapon in the NFL.

As far as what JH said about Ricky Stanzi, I find it interesting that Andrew Dalton has supposedly risen on so many boards where Stanzi's stock seems to have stayed in place. I heard where Stanzi has great intangibles and some good measurables too. At the beginning of this whole process, Dalton and Stanzi were viewed as being neck and neck. Not so much anymore, by appearances.

There were quite a few VT games on TV this year and I was impressed by him. He's mobile but he always makes sure to set his feet properly before he throws. I was impressed. I actually think he has more of a grip on being a true passer than Vick did when he was in Atlanta. He's determined and wants to prove himself. Don't we have an extra 4th round pick?

I saw the same thing, Dan. That's why I really like the kid...He's a great runner, but he doesn't look to run first....he sticks with the pass much longer than someone like Newton and Vick (when he first came out of college). He's made some SICK passes on the run, too. This is the one QB in the draft I'm most interested in...I'd love to see us grab him in the 4th.

Just saying, if we don't take a QB in rounds 1 or 2, look out for him in Rd 4. I think he'd be a steal. Especially with a year or two behind Fitz.

POW!!!

If we draft this kid, I guarantee you he'll see the field his first year and will put up some numbers. He'd be the perfect change of pace from a guy like Fitzy. You could line him up in the slot, out wide, or even in the backfield. Then once in a while you let him take a snap or two and you have a legit passing threat, to boot. Gailey could turn this kid into a star.

POW!!!!

There's always a chance one of the lesser rated QB's in this draft could jump up and become great ones in the NFL. There was Joe Montana drafted #82 (third round) by the Niners in 1979. There was of course Tom Brady drafted #199 (6th round) by the Pats in 2000. Those two QB's are always in the discussion for the best QB in NFL history, so it almost always seems worth it to draft one in the later rounds, doesn't it?

That said, recent history suggests that other then Brady, your top teams in the playoffs year in and year out have QB's drafted in ROUND ONE. After being out of the playoffs for 11 years and counting, after not having a winning season for 6 years and counting, and after not being able to find the next Jim Kelly for 14 years and counting, if I'm Buddy Nix, I'm rolling the dice on Newton or Gabbert with the #3 pick, and taking the more traveled road towards recent NFL success. I'll be happy to allow the other teams to try and find that needle in the haystack QB in the later rounds!

Fitzy is the starter, and he might rise up and surprise everyone by becoming a franchise QB after all, he's only 27 and this is his first chance of being the starter heading into a season. Yeah, and the odds of that happening are about as good as finding the next Tom Brady in the 6th round of this draft, too!

However, even if that miracle happened, what a great trading tool the Bills would have with Newton or Gabbert as the back up! Realistically, Fitzy will man the ship just above average with his limited skill set, and take the Bills to the 8-8-0 or even 9-7-0 level while Newton or Gabbert learn behind him. Then, it will be the perfect time to hand over the keys to either one, since I am convinced they both will be great NFL quarterbacks someday in the near future in the NFL.

POW!!!!

I had the opportunity to speak with Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller last night on moving the chains on Sirius. I brought up the same scenario. I really like this because the run on QB's mean more 1st round Defensive talent falls to us in the 2nd round. They said he is a 4th round grade. Worse case scenario is we turn him into a WR.

I'm all for Taylor in the 4th.