All Newton all the time

RichardBag

1) Who cares what he did in college? I wish people would stop bringing up his college and be more afraid of. Vince Young, Tim Tebow, or Vick in his Atlanta years at the 5 yd line. Or Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees? I'd be more worried about the guys that can actually THROW the ball.

Get a clue. :rolleyes:

Let's see since we are talking College which "All" future players come from. Cam Newton played in the TOUGHEST conference and dominated that conference! Has a skill set that translated well on the college level. Clearly the most dominate "college" player against the toughest dvision with the BEST coaches and they did not have an answer for him. 30 tds 20 rusheing TD's then I would like my chances with this guy.

Who by the way does not have to play right away, yet still could have a set number of series to run ie (inside the red zone 2nd and 7 give him) a specific read if it is not there then get the first down (keep the chains moving) RUN.

Work with Chan & Fitz learn how to be a NFLer and take this team to the next level in year two 1/2 and beyond!! Come on people GET REAL Draft the QB that was dominate in the BEST CONFERENCE on EARTH!!!! Yes we CAM!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's see since we are talking College which "All" future players come from. Cam Newton played in the TOUGHEST conference and dominated that conference! Has a skill set that translated well on the college level. Clearly the most dominate "college" player against the toughest dvision with the BEST coaches and they did not have an answer for him. 30 tds 20 rusheing TD's then I would like my chances with this guy.

Who by the way does not have to play right away, yet still could have a set number of series to run ie (inside the red zone 2nd and 7 give him) a specific read if it is not there then get the first down (keep the chains moving) RUN.

Work with Chan & Fitz learn how to be a NFLer and take this team to the next level in year two 1/2 and beyond!! Come on people GET REAL Draft the QB that was dominate in the BEST CONFERENCE on EARTH!!!! Yes we CAM!!

1) Who cares? It's college football? Tom Brady didn't do sht his entire college career. A total of 35 TDs in 2 years? I guess that tells the whole story huh. Yes. He has a skill set that translate well at the COLLEGE LEVEL. So again. WHO CARES? Clearly the most dominant COLLEGE player against the toughest division? Is he playing against college teams next year? If not....WHO CARES.

YOU CAN NAME OFF HIS COLLEGE STATS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS. GO AHEAD CUZ I DON'T GIVE A SHT CUZ HIS SKILL SETS DONT CARRY OVER TO THE NFL.

2) Good gameplan COACH. I wonder why coaches don't think of doing that with a black QB in the first place? Maybe cuz it's not that easy in the NFL? Hmmm. Never thought about it that way. That QB scrambling, running sht doesn't work in the NFL. Wildcat, spread option, reverse bullsht rarely works in the NFL. It's all gimmick bullsht. Theres a reason why all successful NFL teams have pocket passers.

I still don't understand why people think that college success will always carry over to the NFL level? I've already proven that the best NFL QBs didn't accomplish sht in the NFL. Overhyped QBs will almost always fail. Newton will be just another example.

1) Who cares? It's college football? Tom Brady didn't do sht his entire college career. A total of 35 TDs in 2 years? I guess that tells the whole story huh. Yes. He has a skill set that translate well at the COLLEGE LEVEL. So again. WHO CARES? Clearly the most dominant COLLEGE player against the toughest division? Is he playing against college teams next year? If not....WHO CARES.

YOU CAN NAME OFF HIS COLLEGE STATS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS. GO AHEAD CUZ I DON'T GIVE A SHT CUZ HIS SKILL SETS DONT CARRY OVER TO THE NFL.

2) Good gameplan COACH. I wonder why coaches don't think of doing that with a black QB in the first place? Maybe cuz it's not that easy in the NFL? Hmmm. Never thought about it that way. That QB scrambling, running sht doesn't work in the NFL. Wildcat, spread option, reverse bullsht rarely works in the NFL. It's all gimmick bullsht. Theres a reason why all successful NFL teams have pocket passers.

I still don't understand why people think that college success will always carry over to the NFL level? I've already proven that the best NFL QBs didn't accomplish sht in the NFL. Overhyped QBs will almost always fail. Newton will be just another example.

I know I shouldn't feed the troll but you realize Aaron Rodgers had the second most rushing yards on the Packers last year and that Ben Roethlisberger is not really a pocket passer right?

or do you really believe the nonsense you post?

Edited by Beerball

It's all gimmick bullsht. Theres a reason why all successful NFL teams have pocket passers.

I still don't understand why people think that college success will always carry over to the NFL level? [because on the Average it DOES!!![/[/color]color]I've already proven that the best NFL QBs didn't accomplish sht in the NFL. Overhyped QBs will almost always fail. Newton will be just another example.

Gimmick? Count the number of teams that do not use the shotgun formation or a three four or five reciever set? Gimmick? reverses wildcat west coast offense gimmick ? ever see the eagles play? What about Pittsburgh how about hte Packers?

There was not a QB in the league who was exclusivley under the center. About 55% of NFL passes came out of the shotgun formation so NFL coaches use gimmicks and trickeration on the reg.

As college programs continue to use the spread and the NFL continues to use "college" players guess what happens..... This is not MAdden You get players who make plays and put them into a position to make them!!

See NE with the no name reciever corps.. See GB with James Starks as a RB and no name WR how long did Aaron Rodgers sit? Get A QB who makes plays and put his skill set to work for you OPTION WING T TRADITIONAL SPREAD SHOT GUN... hell for that matter if you MR Right All the time" can make plays then put your dumb Arse In

For me, the key statistic is "When opponents sent five or more pass-rushers, Newton completed 73.5 percent of his passes with five touchdowns and no interceptions". That's enough for me to start thinking about Newton at #3.

For me, the key statistic is "When opponents sent five or more pass-rushers, Newton completed 73.5 percent of his passes with five touchdowns and no interceptions". That's enough for me to start thinking about Newton at #3.

It is a key statistic, Newton actually gets better under pressure, kid thrives on it,

Another interesting bit in that ESPN Insider article:

People who say Cam Newton can't adjust to a league where it's not all about the shotgun should check the figures. Here are the NFL leaders in percentage of pass plays from the shotgun position in 2010 (minimum 150 pass attempts):

1. Shaun Hill: 87.6%

2. Peyton Manning: 74.5

3. Kyle Orton: 67.3

4. Aaron Rodgers: 66.1

5. Ryan Fitzpatrick: 65.9

6. Derek Anderson: 65.8

7. Jon Kitna: 64.6

8. Kevin Kolb: 63.1

9. Ben Roethlisberger: 63.0

10. Tom Brady: 62.0

Courtesy Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders.

Look who is #5 . . .hmmm wonder if all that 5 step drop stuff is really that important.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Another interesting bit in that ESPN Insider article:

Look who is #5 . . .hmmm wonder if all that 5 step drop stuff is really that important.

WOW! Good point. If Fitzgerald threw 65.9% from shotgun (and was pretty good at it) why would people fear Cam wouldn't be a good fit for Buffalo if thats his strong point? He has a better arm and is more mobile than Fitzgibbon (may or may not be smarter football wise thats unknown)... Man imagine how dangerous Cam would be in Gailey's offense, Its scary if you think bout it too hard...

P.S. Look who's at the bottom with more than half in a spread offense... Yea folks its that guy Brady... Hell I didn't even notice Manning did so much shotgun..

CAM NEWTON!... NUFF SAID...

Well allow me to contribute. Whoever we pick in the draft with the third pick, I would like for us to go opposite in FA! And he needs to be top tier.

If we take Cam that's fine, but damit, they better go get cullen jenkins from GB or another stud.

I just feel if u take Cam at three, we can still make strides toward our defense!

I know I shouldn't feed the troll but you realize Aaron Rodgers had the second most rushing yards on the Packers last year and that Ben Roethlisberger is not really a pocket passer right?

or do you really believe the nonsense you post?

Is this really an argument? Aaron Rodgers having the 2nd most rushing yds ont he Packers last year? A team that ranked 24th in the league in rushing WITHOUT their starting RB. Packers were 5th in the league in passing. 24th in the league in rushing. So WTF is ur point ??!!! Next time u start yapping. Make sure you have a point to whatever you're saying. :wallbash:

Roethlisberger is a pocket passer. But I figure that a n00b like yourself wouldnt be able to figure that out. Roethlisberger is a MOBILE passer. He moves around a lot in the pocket to buy himself time to throw the ball. He moves around because his o-line just sucks. He doesn't run around looking to run the ball forward. Theres a BIG difference there.

P.S. Look who's at the bottom with more than half in a spread offense... Yea folks its that guy Brady... Hell I didn't even notice Manning did so much shotgun..

CAM NEWTON!... NUFF SAID... FOR real for real

Theres nothing wrong with a spread offense. There is a problem with a spread OPTION QB. His initial reaction will always be to run when it's not needed.

Well allow me to contribute. Whoever we pick in the draft with the third pick, I would like for us to go opposite in FA! And he needs to be top tier.

If we take Cam that's fine, but damit, they better go get cullen jenkins from GB or another stud.

I just feel if u take Cam at three, we can still make strides toward our defense!

Yes...because the Bills have always been the most aggressive team in free agency.

:rolleyes:

Edited by DreReed83

Theres nothing wrong with a spread offense. There is a problem with a spread OPTION QB. His initial reaction will always be to run when it's not needed.

That's just not true. His first reaction was rarely to run "when it's not needed". Watch some film on the guy before you make blanket statements. He had plenty of running plays CALLED for him. He absolutely scrambled when plays broke down. But he also threw the ball down field on broken plays when he could have run.

There's a lot to question about Cam. But this isn't one of them. Stick to your other points, you'll get farther.

That's just not true. His first reaction was rarely to run "when it's not needed". Watch some film on the guy before you make blanket statements. He had plenty of running plays CALLED for him. He absolutely scrambled when plays broke down. But he also threw the ball down field on broken plays when he could have run.

There's a lot to question about Cam. But this isn't one of them. Stick to your other points, you'll get farther.

The highlights shown on TV during the season focused on his scintillating runs. But if you watched his games (I watched 4-5 games) what was stunning was his exceptional passing ability. There isn't a throw he can't make. He has a strong arm, yet he also has good touch on the ball when there is a need for it and he is accurate.

There wasn't a game (with the exception of the championship game--He was hurt) where he not only was the best player on the field but also was the most impactful player on the field. His second half performance in the Albama game, a team loaded with pro prospects, was something to behold.

My preference in the draft is to select a qb. As of now I slightly favor Gabbert over Newton because he is a more finished product. But if Nix selects Newton I would be more than happy. I'm starting to get the sense that Gailey favors Newton because he is intrigued by his more unique and unbridled talents.

The highlights shown on TV during the season focused on his scintillating runs. But if you watched his games (I watched 4-5 games) what was stunning was his exceptional passing ability. There isn't a throw he can't make. He has a strong arm, yet he also has good touch on the ball when there is a need for it and he is accurate.

There wasn't a game (with the exception of the championship game--He was hurt) where he not only was the best player on the field but also was the most impactful player on the field. His second half performance in the Albama game, a team loaded with pro prospects, was something to behold.

My preference in the draft is to select a qb. As of now I slightly favor Gabbert over Newton because he is a more finished product. But if Nix selects Newton I would be more than happy. I'm starting to get the sense that Gailey favors Newton because he is intrigued by his more unique and unbridled talents.

I hear ya. I am still hoping for either Darius, Fairley or Quinn personally, but I wouldn't mind them taking Cam (or Gabbert) if only because I'd kind of hate it if they pass on either and they wind up being stars. But that's a gunshy mentality I guess.

I hear ya. I am still hoping for either Darius, Fairley or Quinn personally, but I wouldn't mind them taking Cam (or Gabbert) if only because I'd kind of hate it if they pass on either and they wind up being stars. But that's a gunshy mentality I guess.

You can't think and act scared if you want to have a serious team. If you have a conviction that one of these qbs are capable of being franchise qbs, (as I do), then you have to pull the trigger. The Bills are drafting from a very high position. Why not take advantage of that position and solidify it with a legitimate talent at the qb spot and then go on to rebuild your hollow franchise?

A few years ago the Dolphins under Parcells had the first pick in the draft. They debated whether to take Jake Long or Matt Ryan. They took Long because he was less of a risk as a prospect. Long went on to be an all-pro LT. The Falcons with the fourth pick took Matt Ryan. Without a doubt he was the most instrumental player in turning around a very fractured franchise due to the Vick fiasco. My point is that the qb position is the most important position on the field. Ryan the qb has made more of an impact than Jake Long, an all-star LT. Another example of the importance of the qb position is Sam Bradford. He had an immense impact in giving a decade long losing franchise an infusion of hope. Don't you agree that Bradford has made a more significant contribution than the prior year's high draft pick in DE Chris Long? Are you not goingin to acknowledge that Bradford's performance and impact last year was profound? Another example is Josh Freeman. Tampa was considered prior to the season by many self-appointed "gurus" to be a very poor team. Freeman, in his second year, made a tremendous leap in development. He was the primary reason why the Bucs had such a dramatic turnaround.

If the Bills go with the strategy of bulking up their defense with their top picks it will probably have a more immediate affect on ugprading the team. I acknowledge that point. But if you are looking at the Bills as being involved in a rebuilding process with the intention of being a serious team then you have to get your franchise qb sooner rather than later. My point is that when drafting you have to a strategic plan in how to rebuild a hollow team that will eventually be able to contend with teams that already possess elite qbs.

Edited by JohnC

You can't think and act scared if you want to have a serious team. If you have a conviction that one of these qbs are capable of being franchise qbs, (as I do), then you have to pull the trigger. The Bills are drafting from a very high position. Why not take advantage of that position and solidify it with a legitimate talent at the qb spot and then go on to rebuild your hollow franchise?

A few years ago the Dolphins under Parcells had the first pick in the draft. They debated whether to take Jake Long or Matt Ryan. They took Long because he was less of a risk as a prospect. Long went on to be an all-pro LT. The Falcons with the fourth pick took Matt Ryan. Without a doubt he was the most instrumental player in turning around a very fractured franchise due to the Vick fiasco. My point is that the qb position is the most important position on the field. Ryan the qb has made more of an impact than Jake Long, an all-star LT. Another example of the importance of the qb position is Sam Bradford. He had an immense impact in giving a decade long losing franchise an infusion of hope. Don't you agree that Bradford has made a more significant contribution than the prior year's high draft pick in DE Chris Long? Are you not goingin to acknowledge that Bradford's performance and impact last year was profound? Another example is Josh Freeman. Tampa was considered prior to the season by many self-appointed "gurus" to be a very poor team. Freeman, in his second year, made a tremendous leap in development. He was the primary reason why the Bucs had such a dramatic turnaround.

If the Bills go with the strategy of bulking up their defense with their top picks it will probably have a more immediate affect on ugprading the team. I acknowledge that point. But if you are looking at the Bills as being involved in a rebuilding process with the intention of being a serious team then you have to get your franchise qb sooner rather than later. My point is that when drafting you have to a strategic plan in how to rebuild a hollow team that will eventually be able to contend with teams that already possess elite qbs.

You're preaching to the choir. I'm just not certain that Cam or Gabbert are truly elite QB prospects. Cam certainly has all the tools, but I echo a lot of the same fears that people on here have expressed -- mainly the one season of D1 ball. Still, if the Bills do take Gabbert or Newton, I'd be excited for all the ways an elite QB can impact a club as you listed above.

However, the one thing I will disagree on, mainly for the sake of discussion, I don't think upgrading the defense is the way to get a more immediate impact on the team's W-L record. In fact, I think if the team wants to make a quick jump to 6 or 7 wins, offense is the way to go. The defense has a ton of holes to fill just to be competitive. The offense actually has far less holes and are maybe a play maker or two away from being able to jump from 4 wins to 7 wins. That doesn't mean you can ignore the defense, but plenty of teams lately have shown their ability to win games (sometimes a lot of games) with a sub standard defense.

You're preaching to the choir. I'm just not certain that Cam or Gabbert are truly elite QB prospects. Cam certainly has all the tools, but I echo a lot of the same fears that people on here have expressed -- mainly the one season of D1 ball. Still, if the Bills do take Gabbert or Newton, I'd be excited for all the ways an elite QB can impact a club as you listed above.

However, the one thing I will disagree on, mainly for the sake of discussion, I don't think upgrading the defense is the way to get a more immediate impact on the team's W-L record. In fact, I think if the team wants to make a quick jump to 6 or 7 wins, offense is the way to go. The defense has a ton of holes to fill just to be competitive. The offense actually has far less holes and are maybe a play maker or two away from being able to jump from 4 wins to 7 wins. That doesn't mean you can ignore the defense, but plenty of teams lately have shown their ability to win games (sometimes a lot of games) with a sub standard defense.

The shame of the CBA conflict is that it will again for a second season put a halt or limit the free agent market, especially for Buffalo. If the Bills could have added a functional TE and another O-lineman, RT, then that certainly would give the offense a boost.

With respect to improving our win record to the 6-7 range that is not an important factor with me. As far as I'm concerned the Bills won't be a good team next year. They are still very far behind the Jets and Pats in their own division. From an AFC standpoint there are at least half a dozen teams much better than the Bills. My perspective is more about building the roster the right way and laying the foundation for being a serious team down the road.

The infusion of rookie talent is not going to make a dramatic impact next season. Last year, there wasn't a major rookie contributor. But that doesn't mean they won't take a quantam leap in development in their second year and elevate the future prospects of the team. Building through the draft is not a quick solution process. However, it is the most proven method. If Nix can string together a few consecutive good draft classes that will put the Bills back as a mainstream team instead of being a fringe team, as they are now.

AMEN AMEN AMEN I'll say it again if he meets the requirments and meets the team expectations then YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE QB!! People want to hang "Character" issues give me a break... Does Nick Saban's character or Mark Richt's character or Doug Gotlieb's character or Tressel's character come into play when those employers wanted to give them a job?

Yes but a small bit Coaches lie cheat and steal on the reg sign contracts bolt in the middle of the season Bobby Petrino recruit kids leave and the kid can't transfer. So ALL you character guys take a look in the mirror as tax season comes about and report all your gambling winnings, yes the three card parlay,the NCAA pool you won last year,your fantasy FB league GET real!! Character counts but..........Get me a SB and it counts very little!

Want real character go to Disneyland they only charge children $28.00 to get in. Since most of you are over 18 on this board be prepared to shell out over $40 bucks to get in then you can have character

AMEN AMEN AMEN I'll say it again if he meets the requirments and meets the team expectations then YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE QB!! People want to hang "Character" issues give me a break... Does Nick Saban's character or Mark Richt's character or Doug Gotlieb's character or Tressel's character come into play when those employers wanted to give them a job?

I assume you are primarily referring to Newton regarding the questionable character label. There are people from afar who like to sling mud and offer scurrilous innuendos about him. Has he made mistakes? Of course. They are well documented and he has accepted responsibility for his mistakes. What I look for in judging a young person who has made mistakes is not what he has done in the past but how has he responded after his indiscretions.

While there are outsiders who make ugly assumptions about him the people and those involved in the program he is associated with offer nothing but glowing reports about him and his character. His teammates like him. The coaching staff acknowledges his dedication and work ethic. Oftentimes there are rumblings and whispers about star players coming from the hometown. I haven't heard a hint of that negativity coming out of Auborn and its surrounding area.

I go back and forth with Gabbert vs Newton. I'll take either one of them. If Gailey selects Newton, who I believe he favors, I will be ecstatic. That will mean that the Bills will have a legitimate talent at qb since the Jim Kelly days. That is close to a generation ago. Isn't it about time that this laggard franchise get serious and do what is necessary to be something more than a fringe team?