Kaepernick , #1 rated Qb

Thoner7

Kaepernick's arm is a Rocket, stronger than Mallett's, and has a quick snap to it.

This is an outrageous comment. Mallet throws a FAR better ball flat footed than CK does with a running start. You think the kid is good? Fine. But in terms of arm strength, Mallet could probably throw him 50 or 60 yards.

It isn't remotely close.

FWIW…

"A league source tells PFT that radar guns at the Scouting Combine revealed Colin Kaepernick of Nevada as possessing the strongest throwing arm in Indianapolis on Sunday.

Kaepernick’s best throw registered 59 miles per hour to lead the field of 16 quarterbacks that opted to participate. (Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert refused. Alabama’s Greg McElroy was injured).

Arkansas’ Ryan Mallett was second behind Kaepernick with a 58 miles-per-hour throw. Auburn’s Cam Newton came in third at 56 miles per hour."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/28/source-radar-gun-says-kaepernick-had-combines-strongest-arm/

FWIW…

"A league source tells PFT that radar guns at the Scouting Combine revealed Colin Kaepernick of Nevada as possessing the strongest throwing arm in Indianapolis on Sunday.

Kaepernick’s best throw registered 59 miles per hour to lead the field of 16 quarterbacks that opted to participate. (Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert refused. Alabama’s Greg McElroy was injured).

Arkansas’ Ryan Mallett was second behind Kaepernick with a 58 miles-per-hour throw. Auburn’s Cam Newton came in third at 56 miles per hour."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/28/source-radar-gun-says-kaepernick-had-combines-strongest-arm/

Thank you San Jose. :thumbsup:

Thank you San Jose. :thumbsup:

Certainly you and SJB know that there are many different types of arm strength.

SJB mentions the fastball. JP Losman had a wicked fastball. Do you think that he had a better arm than Bledsoe? Drew could throw a 60 yard pass with a mile of air under it. So can Mallett.

Some QBs need a big windup to get off a strong pass. Randall Cunnungham was a qb with a monster arm; he could toss a ball 80 yards but he needed to step into his throws a lot. Elway once threw a 50 yard pass ACROSS the field, on the run. Which one do you think had a better arm.

Mallett can flick a 25 yard checkdown with zip on it from his wrist, or stand still and throw a 50 yard post while flat footed. He may not possess the strongest arm in each and every phase of football, but his arm strength is off the charts. Coach Saban said that he makes 3 or 4 throws per game that nobody else in the would can make. That tells me a lot, ya know?

Oh absolutely. So did Losman. My point is that imo, Mallett has a far better arm than CP. Nothing more.

I like CP but I think he'll have to clean up his delivery.

In baseball it's said that the base is stolen on the pitcher (his windup), not the catcher.

Base runners get their jump on the pitcher's delivery to home plate.

Similarly in football, often times the pass is intercepted on the quarterback's release…not the velocity of his throw…DBs can and will jump the route when a QB has a slow release. Great arm strength allows a QB with a slow release to be a bit more successful but I'm having a hard time remembering the last NFL quarterback who had a truly successful career with a slow release…Randall Cunningham?

In baseball it's said that the base is stolen on the pitcher (his windup), not the catcher.

Similarly in football, often times the pass is intercepted on the quarterback's release…not the velocity of his throw…DBs can and will jump the route when a QB has a slow release. Great arm strength allows a QB with a slow release to be a bit more successful but I'm having a hard time remembering the last NFL quarterback who had a truly successful career with a slow release…Randall Cunningham?

I mentioned him in my post above and again, there are many different types of arm strength.

I guess we differ on CP having a slow release. I consider guys like leftwich to have slow releases.

"I'm having a hard time remembering the last NFL quarterback who had a truly successful career with a slow release…Randall Cunningham?" - I think Bledsoe matches that description.