Don't Believe the Hype

Good article from Pat Kirwan that I had saved a few years back about the misinformation that's "leaked" in the weeks leading up to the draft. At the State of the Bills this past week for example both Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey had banter back and forth with MC Steve Tasker on Cam Newton that IMHO was seemed forced and just a little over the top to me. Look on the main page of Buffalo Bills.com; article by Chris Brown- Newton ahead of Gabbert. Smoke ??? maybe and then the Bills Booster meeting with Paul Peck speaking and his lofty praise for Newton and how he would be perfect for the Bills. Maybe the Easter Bunny is wispering in Paul's ear. Funny last year nothing was ever said much about Spiller at any of these events though I did find out a few days before the draft that Spiller was very much on the Bills' radar.

Here is the Pat Kiwan article: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d80fe0897/printable/dont-believe-the-hype-it-could-just-be-a-smokescreen

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article from Pat Kirwan that I had saved a few years back about the misinformation that's "leaked" in the weeks leading up to the draft. At the State of the Bills this past week for example both Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey had banter back and forth with MC Steve Tasker on Cam Newton that IMHO was seemed forced and just a little over the top to me. Look on the main page of Buffalo Bills.com; article by Chris Brown- Newton ahead of Gabbert. Smoke ??? maybe and then the Bills Booster meeting with Paul Peck speaking and his lofty praise for Newton and how he would be perfect for the Bills. Maybe the Easter Bunny is wispering in Paul's ear. Funny last year nothing was ever said much about Spiller at any of these events though I did find out a few days before the draft that Spiller was very much on the Bills' radar.

Here is the Pat Kiwan article: http://www.nfl.com/d...e-a-smokescreen

Unless there is some inside information from someone who has access to the inner circle, it has become impossible to make an educated guess as to who the Bills are after with their top pick. I was surprised by the CJ pick last year, as were a lot of people. I certainly can't see through the smoke screens, so I have no idea whether they'll go for Newton/Gabbert, or with a defensive player, or trade down (or up, I suppose). My gut tells me there's more upside to a defensive player with the #3 pick than Newton/Gabbert, but I have no idea what to expect

Hope you can share info as you get it. It really is much appreciated. Same for Never Say Die.

Nothing in the article that we don't already know. But based on the Bills drafting record of the last decade, teams can rely on them not picking the highest rated available guy at a position. So the half dozen teams picking after the Bills don't really have to worry about the Bills taking the player they want. Almost every year the Bills' first pick (and some others) are categorized as a "reach" by some experts. We can bash the experts all we want, but the result has been that our reaches have not turned out to be stars, while most of the experts' choices have been better players. So if the Bills are trying to be clever about it, does anyone care?

Unless there is some inside information from someone who has access to the inner circle, it has become impossible to make an educated guess as to who the Bills are after with their top pick. I was surprised by the CJ pick last year, as were a lot of people. I certainly can't see through the smoke screens, so I have no idea whether they'll go for Newton/Gabbert, or with a defensive player, or trade down (or up, I suppose). My gut tells me there's more upside to a defensive player with the #3 pick than Newton/Gabbert, but I have no idea what to expect

Hope you can share info as you get it. It really is much appreciated. Same for Never Say Die.

That brought a smile to my face. Only a few people with the Bills now from when way back when I was there. Ancient history now. Then I got to thinking who is there? and then another smile. Of course there is Buddy Nix who I have known since the Bill Polian/John Butler days but would never put him on the spot with a question on a specific player. He might give me a half truth which I would interpret in a different way and if I was to ever share it publicly (which BTW I would never betray that trust) it would border between fantasy, speculation and outright lie of what was originally meant. There are more than enought bloggers that do just that

Edited by LancasterSteve

I was surprised by the CJ pick last year, as were a lot of people.

How were you surprised? Nix had talked about his strategy of taking BPA, especially in the first round. Spiller was arguably the best player on the board at the time we selected. I didn't think it was a surprise when we took him, especially when combined with Chan's water-bug comment leading up to the draft.

This time of year has been, for the last decade, in some ways more exciting for me than late fall - because there is so much hope that when I look at the holes on this roster, and I look at F.A. and the draft and see obvious matches, and I put together a few scenarios where the Bills have a great offseason and are finally set to compete - all that is alive right now. Too bad the recent years have left me scratching my head. However, Since Nix took over I do believe I see where he's going. I am one of a what seems to be a few that think last year's draft was good. I think Carrington is going to be a real good DE for a long time, and I think Troupe could become a solid, unique talent at NT or DT. I think Spiller was more a matter of grabbing a piece of what Gailey wanted to have complete in a few years - a legitimate RB, WR, QB tandem that he could go places with. They proved correct in seeing there wasn't the QB there to take, so they took the RB, and I think Spiller is going to prove as good as we hoped. Then there's Moats, Easley, Batten, Coleman, Jones, Nelson - those are solid additions.

Anyway, this year it is really no secret they need to get better in the Defensive front seven and at QB - and it looks like F.A. will offer them options at RT and TE, so I see them going front seven or QB with their first two picks, and linebackers somewhere in their first five picks. It's just a matter of what combination - and with the talent available this year, and our excellent positions in each round, I just don't see a way they can leave round four without 3 or 4 new starters - and at positions of importance: QB, DE/DL, OLB and ILB. I still have faith in Nix, Whaley, and Gailey - let's hope they wow us and that we have a team with real potential this year to look forward to.

This time of year has been, for the last decade, in some ways more exciting for me than late fall - because there is so much hope that when I look at the holes on this roster, and I look at F.A. and the draft and see obvious matches, and I put together a few scenarios where the Bills have a great offseason and are finally set to compete - all that is alive right now. Too bad the recent years have left me scratching my head. However, Since Nix took over I do believe I see where he's going. I am one of a what seems to be a few that think last year's draft was good. I think Carrington is going to be a real good DE for a long time, and I think Troupe could become a solid, unique talent at NT or DT. I think Spiller was more a matter of grabbing a piece of what Gailey wanted to have complete in a few years - a legitimate RB, WR, QB tandem that he could go places with. They proved correct in seeing there wasn't the QB there to take, so they took the RB, and I think Spiller is going to prove as good as we hoped. Then there's Moats, Easley, Batten, Coleman, Jones, Nelson - those are solid additions.

Anyway, this year it is really no secret they need to get better in the Defensive front seven and at QB - and it looks like F.A. will offer them options at RT and TE, so I see them going front seven or QB with their first two picks, and linebackers somewhere in their first five picks. It's just a matter of what combination - and with the talent available this year, and our excellent positions in each round, I just don't see a way they can leave round four without 3 or 4 new starters - and at positions of importance: QB, DE/DL, OLB and ILB. I still have faith in Nix, Whaley, and Gailey - let's hope they wow us and that we have a team with real potential this year to look forward to.

How were you surprised? Nix had talked about his strategy of taking BPA, especially in the first round. Spiller was arguably the best player on the board at the time we selected. I didn't think it was a surprise when we took him, especially when combined with Chan's water-bug comment leading up to the draft.

Very "arguably." And we already had your namesake and Fast Freddy plus a host of other needs.

On the other hand, Chan came right out and said " I want a water bug running back" and thats exactly what we got.

I dont think these guys know how to put up a smoke screens.

Agreed on both statements!

As I recall last year a few months before the draft that was all Chan Gailey was talking about was, a "water-bug" type guy. My take is, he coached against Spiller in college, and knew his potential for big plays, and then sold it to the rest of the Bills org, so they drafted him.

What escapes everyone is the fact that no scout did the proper homework on this #1 pick...all of the RB's drafted in the first round after this kid did so much better last season. WTF good is a RB that can't block...that perhaps isn't smart enough to learn and understand a complex passing offense? Everyone posting here seems convinced that this player can improve over time, he was already given an entire off season, mini camps-training camp-preseason games, and didn't learn... he was attending college right? coaching or player?.... I kinda miss Eric Studesville.... So far all this kid has done has shown is that he is another one trick pony in the mold of Aaron Maybin....kinda scary as a Bills fan looking at what this scouting staff/coaching staff has done with #1 picks over the last few years Maybin-Spiller-McCargo-Losmnan....

So this begs another question, do both the scouting staff and coaching staff have a clue as to knowing how to do their jobs? The scouts get a pass here based on past years of draft stupidity, but now that GM Buddy Nix has seen first hand...with his own eyes.... how badly his scouts botched his free agent acquisition of RT Green and first round pick CJ Spiller.... will he now over ride their input and put forth the effort to throughly scout all players himself, and make the proper choices? His credibility as a lifetime of being a scout is now on the line as everyone will now see if he knows what he is doing.

Now, one could argue that the Bills had such an atrociously bad offensive line that didn't run block very well, and therefore Spiller couldn't have a successful season under any circumstance... and yet...an undrafted free agent walk-on in Fred Jackson was the better RB in finding and hitting the hole, being an elusive runner, blocking, in passing schemes, and already was one of the very best 3rd down backs in the league. About the only thing Spiller can do better then Jackson is outrun him in a straight line from goal line to goal line, or the 40 yd dash.

So this begs the question, WTF was Spiller even drafted in the first place? best player available, according to who? thats BS because Spiller wasn't even the best rated RB by most other teams, specifically because a RB is useless if he can't block. The Bills went into last years draft and stated the the O line was a "priority" and then after the draft stated that the draft didn't "fall" right for them to draft a tackle until the 5th round. So the team struggled to find a suitable RT all last season, even had walk ons off the street who played better then FA Green who the bills paid 3 mill.

Chan Gailey getting so much recognition as a great QB developer because Fitz played so well in some games last year....and yet... Gailey failed to improve Trent Edwards, even after working with the guy all off season...mini camps...training camp...preseason, and defended the guy right up until he cut him after two regular season games. Gailey even finally cut Brian Brohm after the season where he started one game in which he replaced fitz...so the guy failed to develop 2 of 3 QB's. Wanna know my take, Gailey isn't such a great QB coach/developer like some claim, he just got lucky that Fitz was sitting behind Edwards on the bench. Even last seasons coaching staff already knew Fitz was the better choice as Edwards was benched in favor of Fitz by Perry Fewell the season before. Fitz played well against teams like Pittsburgh-Baltimore-Cincy-Cleveland because he played against them in the past when he was the starter in Cincy during the time Carson Palmer was injured. So he knew those teams and knew how to defeat their defenses, so he played well against them. Chan Gailey gets most of the credit of those 4 wins, even with a horrid defense, no running game, bad O line, poor overall coaching... I couldn't stand Fitz at first... but he is now my hero, and he should get ALL the credit for those 4 wins, and almost wins...all Gailey did in my eyes is call the plays.

Smoke screens...I think this current Bills scouting-coaching staff has enough trouble simply dressing themselves and tying to tie their own shoes properly, most should wear loafers, and pull ups-pull ons... the ineptitude that STILL pervades throughout OBD is nearing epic proportions, even by NFL standards. The Buffalo Bills are already at the bottom of the AFC East division, and will likely remain there...but, will they be the worst team in the NFL in 2011...good chance should Fitz suffer an injury early

Food for thought..... http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

BOTTOM LINE: The Bills will NOT select a QB in the first round this year (unless they trade back and obtain more then one pick this year, not likely according to Nix or trade back up into the first). The reason of NOT choosing a QB with that first pick? Chan Gailey must now realize he is simply to mentality overloaded trying to teach his coaches, teach his players, all while trying to do way to many jobs besides just being a HC ....to draft a QB in the first with that #3, and then have the fans clamor for the guy to start...then he will need to spend most of his limited time trying to develop the guy. I'd say "no way" with 100% certainty...but then there is always the RW factor. Logic should dictate no big surprises this year, Dareus-Miller-Peterson depending on what the Panthers and Broncos do in front of the Bills

Edited by Harvey lives

That brought a smile to my face. Only a few people with the Bills now from when way back when I was there. Ancient history now. Then I got to thinking who is there? and then another smile. Of course there is Buddy Nix who I have known since the Bill Polian/John Butler days but would never put him on the spot with a question on a specific player. He might give me a half truth which I would interpret in a different way and if I was to ever share it publicly (which BTW I would never betray that trust) it would border between fantasy, speculation and outright lie of what was originally meant. There are more that enoght bloogers that do just that

Boy....ain't THAT the truth!

Agreed on both statements!

As I recall last year a few months before the draft that was all Chan Gailey was talking about was, a "water-bug" type guy. My take is, he coached against Spiller in college, and knew his potential for big plays, and then sold it to the rest of the Bills org, so they drafted him.

What escapes everyone is the fact that no scout did the proper homework on this #1 pick...all of the RB's drafted in the first round after this kid did so much better last season. WTF good is a RB that can't block...that perhaps isn't smart enough to learn and understand a complex passing offense? Everyone posting here seems convinced that this player can improve over time, he was already given an entire off season, mini camps-training camp-preseason games, and didn't learn... he was attending college right? coaching or player?.... I kinda miss Eric Studesville.... So far all this kid has done has shown is that he is another one trick pony in the mold of Aaron Maybin....kinda scary as a Bills fan looking at what this scouting staff/coaching staff has done with #1 picks over the last few years Maybin-Spiller-McCargo-Losmnan....

So this begs another question, do both the scouting staff and coaching staff have a clue as to knowing how to do their jobs? The scouts get a pass here based on past years of draft stupidity, but now that GM Buddy Nix has seen first hand...with his own eyes.... how badly his scouts botched his free agent acquisition of RT Green and first round pick CJ Spiller.... will he now over ride their input and put forth the effort to throughly scout all players himself, and make the proper choices? His credibility as a lifetime of being a scout is now on the line as everyone will now see if he knows what he is doing.

Now, one could argue that the Bills had such an atrociously bad offensive line that didn't run block very well, and therefore Spiller couldn't have a successful season under any circumstance... and yet...an undrafted free agent walk-on in Fred Jackson was the better RB in finding and hitting the hole, being an elusive runner, blocking, in passing schemes, and already was one of the very best 3rd down backs in the league. About the only thing Spiller can do better then Jackson is outrun him in a straight line from goal line to goal line, or the 40 yd dash.

So this begs the question, WTF was Spiller even drafted in the first place? best player available, according to who? thats BS because Spiller wasn't even the best rated RB by most other teams, specifically because a RB is useless if he can't block. The Bills went into last years draft and stated the the O line was a "priority" and then after the draft stated that the draft didn't "fall" right for them to draft a tackle until the 5th round. So the team struggled to find a suitable RT all last season, even had walk ons off the street who played better then FA Green who the bills paid 3 mill.

Chan Gailey getting so much recognition as a great QB developer because Fitz played so well in some games last year....and yet... Gailey failed to improve Trent Edwards, even after working with the guy all off season...mini camps...training camp...preseason, and defended they guy right up until he cut him after two regular season games. Gailey even finally cut Brian Brohm after the season where he started one game in which he replaced fitz...so the guy failed to develop 2 of 3 QB's. Wanna know my take, Gailey isn't such a great QB coach/developer like some claim, he just got lucky that Fitz was sitting behind Edwards on the bench. Even last seasons coaching staff already knew Fitz was the better choice as Edwards was benched in favor of Fitz by Perry Fewell the season before. Fitz played well against teams like Pittsburgh-Baltimore-Cincy-Cleveland because he played against them in the past when he was the starter in Cincy during the time Carson Palmer was injured. So he knew those teams and knew how to defeat their defenses, so he played well against them. Chan Gailey gets most of the credit of those 4 wins, even with a horrid defense, no running game, bad O line, poor overall coaching... I couldn't stand Fitz at first... but he is now my hero, and he should get ALL the credit for those 4 wins, and almost wins...all Gailey did in my eyes is call the plays.

Smoke screens...I think this current Bills scouting-coaching staff has enough trouble simply dressing themselves and tying to tie their own shoes properly, most should wear loafers, and pull ups-pull ons... the ineptitude that STILL pervades throughout OBD is nearing epic proportions, even by NFL standards. The Buffalo Bills are already at the bottom of the AFC East division, and will likely remain there...but, will they be the worst team in the NFL in 2011...good chance should Fitz suffer an injury early

Food for thought.....http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

BOTTOM LINE: The Bills will NOT select a QB in the first round this year (unless they trade back and obtain more then one pick this year, not likely according to Nix or trade back up into the first). The reason of NOT choosing a QB with that first pick? Chan Gailey must now realize he is simply to mentality overloaded trying to teach his coaches, teach his players, all while trying to do way to many jobs besides just being a HC ....to draft a QB in the first with that #3, and then have the fans clamor for the guy to start...then he will need to spend most of his limited time trying to develop the guy. I'd say "no way" with 100% certainty...but then there is always the RW factor. Logic should dictate no big surprises this year, Dareus-Miller-Peterson depending on what the Panthers and Broncos do in front of the Bills

The greatest chef in.the world isn't going to make ground beef into a porterhouse. Edwards has turned into a head case and Brohm just doesn't have the talent. Neither one is coachable. It's not fair to dump those two on Gailey's doorstep.

In the 10 minutes of comments I saw Nix deliver, he didn't speak about defense much if at all. I'm not sure if that's a sign, but it's clear they've got to get the front 7 improved immediately. Still, this franchise knows ticket sales and their reputation aren't very good, so a signature guy needs to come in. OTOH, Nix understands that drafting a Newton or Gabbert opens the door for people to say it was RW and/or his people prodding them in that direction.

There's a lot of maneuvering going on right now, as is the case every year. No matter what, they cannot afford to bust on this 3rd overall pick. Doing so sets the franchise back about 3 years and probably ends Nix' time as a GM within 2.

Here is the Pat Kiwan article: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d80fe0897/printable/dont-believe-the-hype-it-could-just-be-a-smokescreen

It's hard to believe Nix and Gailey have had any kind of humorous or funny "banter" about who they might draft this year. With the stupid choice of C.J. Spiller as his first pick of his Bills' career as GM, Buddy Nix has now "successfully" joined the GM's of the past 12 years who have drafted the Bills into last place of the AFC East and playoff - less for this century, in my humble opinion.

I won't forgive Nix for that Spiller pick until he sits firm and just drafts one of the pre-draft rated impact players at the number 3 pick. Even some of those guys end up being busts, so Nix still has to hope for good luck with any player he chooses for the Bills after all these bad drafts. But if he trades down out of the number 3 to "gain more picks" with all the talent that seems to be at the top of this draft, this year, I will really start to hate the guy.

It's hard to believe Nix and Gailey have had any kind of humorous or funny "banter" about who they might draft this year. With the stupid choice of C.J. Spiller as his first pick of his Bills' career as GM, Buddy Nix has now "successfully" joined the GM's of the past 12 years who have drafted the Bills into last place of the AFC East and playoff - less for this century, in my humble opinion.

I won't forgive Nix for that Spiller pick until he sits firm and just drafts one of the pre-draft rated impact players at the number 3 pick. Even some of those guys end up being busts, so Nix still has to hope for good luck with any player he chooses for the Bills after all these bad drafts. But if he trades down out of the number 3 to "gain more picks" with all the talent that seems to be at the top of this draft, this year, I will really start to hate the guy.

Last sentence is a "worst sentence of the year" nominee IMO. This year, almost more than any other year, there isn't a consensus top 3. The top 2 on most bpa boards are a WR and a cb. And both, most likely, will be there when we select. In a year like this, we SHOULD most definitely be trading down....unless they think one of the QBs can be the guy to lead us to the playoffs for the next 10 years. You said it yourself, "with all the talent at the top of the board". We don't have 2-3 picks in the top 10, we have 1. If we can trade down and get an additional 2nd (who may be a 1st round talent), while staying in the top 10 and taking advantage of "all the talent in the top of the board", it's a no brainer.

Spiller is not going to be a bust. We always set these outrageous expectations for first round rookies. transition from clemson to the nfl is huge, the whole game changes. spiller will continue to get better as the game continues to slow down for him. There is no better guy than freddy to be mentoring him right now. Do not sleep on spiller. He will be a great player

In the 10 minutes of comments I saw Nix deliver, he didn't speak about defense much if at all. I'm not sure if that's a sign, but it's clear they've got to get the front 7 improved immediately. Still, this franchise knows ticket sales and their reputation aren't very good, so a signature guy needs to come in. OTOH, Nix understands that drafting a Newton or Gabbert opens the door for people to say it was RW and/or his people prodding them in that direction.

There's a lot of maneuvering going on right now, as is the case every year. No matter what, they cannot afford to bust on this 3rd overall pick. Doing so sets the franchise back about 3 years and probably ends Nix' time as a GM within 2.

Buddy Nix already has brought his sucessor onboard and would be very surprised if Nix still wants to be the GM of the Bills in 3 years.

About Doug Whaley here: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Asst-GM-Whaley-embracing-challenge-with-Bills/76e7c583-338d-45fd-9cc0-c7ca9a662dd5

In those sound bites much of what was said didn't make the final cut. Defense was mentioned but You have to understand the crowd they were playing to. Downtown right after businesses are done for the day enabled many more business types and I might add a surprising number of women to be able to attend than maybe "hardcore fans" like on The Stadium Wall. Newton was in town and his name brought a buzz to the crowd with his name recognation even to the most casual fan in attendence. Yes, offense sells tickets especially if a new shiny QB is drafted. And even the fact that most of the people who shout "stop them" and have absolutly no clue whats-so-ever on defensive resposibilities will not sway Buddy Nix on who to draft IMHO. As far as Mr. Wilson, given his failing health I expect that we will never see him very active in any decisions at One Bills Drive going forward. I would love to hear that Mr. Wilson made the trip here for the draft but the likelihood of that happening does not look too good right now. On the football side, it's Buddy Nix's show as it should be and right or wrong the draft choices made will be his call. No commitees, no drawing straws or any other such nonsense that went on when DJ was here and Russ Brandon was very unfairly put in a spot that was not his expertise. We as fans can all be very grateful that those ruderless days of the Bills organization are behind us starting with Tom Donahoe tearing apart the scouting department (which Buddy Nix continues to rebuild even after making big strides this past year in adding more scouts) to the Marv Levy/ Dick Jauron fiasco that was much worse than very few if any here really know. I'll leave it at that.

As Pat Kirwan mentions in his column what is not said can be as telling as what is and I tend to take with a grain of salt any claims that come out of the rumor mills; especially now leading up to the draft.

Great post, Sllib. I wish they knew about free agency already because it would affect drafting a RT and TE. I believe Nix when he says they like their OLBs but need 2 ILB's from draft or FA. I think they take ILB before OLB, but we'll see.

Spiller was arguably the best player on the board at the time we selected.

Except that he wasn't, and it is up to a professional organization to recognize this. Not only that, he failed to fill a need.

Spiller was one of the dumbest picks I have ever seen, but he still has a way to go before that selection gets into Donte Whitner territory.