Don't Believe the Hype

Unless there is some inside information from someone who has access to the inner circle, it has become impossible to make an educated guess as to who the Bills are after with their top pick. I was surprised by the CJ pick last year, as were a lot of people. I certainly can't see through the smoke screens, so I have no idea whether they'll go for Newton/Gabbert, or with a defensive player, or trade down (or up, I suppose). My gut tells me there's more upside to a defensive player with the #3 pick than Newton/Gabbert, but I have no idea what to expect

Hope you can share info as you get it. It really is much appreciated. Same for Never Say Die.

we have been waiting for a QB since Jimbo,if they think either newton or gabbert are franchise QB's then you can bet your last dollar they will take him,its as simple as that.

no smart team bypasses a great QB no matter what their need.

look @ it this way if kelly was in this draft no matter who was there defensively who would you take. the answer is obvious.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand, Chan came right out and said " I want a water bug running back" and thats exactly what we got.

I dont think these guys know how to put up a smokes screen.

Hard to evaluate when all you can go by is media accounts, but my impression is that Chan tends to be a pretty straight forward guy who calls him like he sees 'em. If that's true, then you would expect him to be a little uncomfortable, and unpracticed, at blowing smoke. When I see him quoted in the media recently as saying that it was a "joy" to be able to talk football over dinner with Cam Newton, that just doesn't ring true to me. A "joy?" Really? If you hear Gailey making excessively favorable comments about somebody in a way that sounds different than how he usually talks, that might be a prety good indication that he's blowing smoke - - but just not very good at it.

My guess is that we won't take a QB at #3, but will try to trade down a few spots with some team that needs one and is afraid that Cinci takes one at #4. Time will tell.

we have been waiting for a QB since Jimbo,if they think either newton or gabbert are franchise QB's then you can bet your last dollar they will take him,its as simple as that.

no smart team bypasses a great QB no matter what their need.

look @ it this way if kelly was in this draft no matter who was there defensively who would you take. the answer is obvious.

Fair enough. The million $$ question is, "Who do they think will do more for the team now, a top defensive pick at #3 and a QB in the 2nd or 3rd, or Newton/Gabbert at #3 and defense starting in round 2?" Hell, A.J. Green or Julio Jones wouldn't surprise me.

Buddy Nix already has brought his sucessor onboard and would be very surprised if Nix still wants to be the GM of the Bills in 3 years.

About Doug Whaley here: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Asst-GM-Whaley-embracing-challenge-with-Bills/76e7c583-338d-45fd-9cc0-c7ca9a662dd5

In those sound bites much of what was said didn't make the final cut. Defense was mentioned but You have to understand the crowd they were playing to. Downtown right after businesses are done for the day enabled many more business types and I might add a surprising number of women to be able to attend than maybe "hardcore fans" like on The Stadium Wall. Newton was in town and his name brought a buzz to the crowd with his name recognation even to the most casual fan in attendence. Yes, offense sells tickets especially if a new shiny QB is drafted. And even the fact that most of the people who shout "stop them" and have absolutly no clue whats-so-ever on defensive resposibilities will not sway Buddy Nix on who to draft IMHO. As far as Mr. Wilson, given his failing health I expect that we will never see him very active in any decisions at One Bills Drive going forward. I would love to hear that Mr. Wilson made the trip here for the draft but the likelihood of that happening does not look too good right now. On the football side, it's Buddy Nix's show as it should be and right or wrong the draft choices made will be his call. No commitees, no drawing straws or any other such nonsense that went on when DJ was here and Russ Brandon was very unfairly put in a spot that was not his expertise. We as fans can all be very grateful that those ruderless days of the Bills organization are behind us starting with Tom Donahoe tearing apart the scouting department (which Buddy Nix continues to rebuild even after making big strides this past year in adding more scouts) to the Marv Levy/ Dick Jauron fiasco that was much worse than very few if any here really know. I'll leave it at that.

As Pat Kirwan mentions in his column what is not said can be as telling as what is and I tend to take with a grain of salt any claims that come out of the rumor mills; especially now leading up to the draft.

I'm sure you're right regarding Whaley. And perhaps there's something to be said for engaging the not-so hardcore fans at events like that State of the Bills function this past week. They make up a significant portion of the fan base. Heck, 4 years ago it was a press conference where Marv spoke, minus fan attendance, so they're using it for the right reasons.

And yeah, I can understand the offensive theme present at an event like this. Talking about 5 technique DE's and WILB's probably wouldn't go over that well.

Still, if they finish with less than 8 wins, I'm not sure they're going to have much confidence after 2+ seasons of rebuilding. JMO.

Edited by BillsVet

Except that he wasn't, and it is up to a professional organization to recognize this. Not only that, he failed to fill a need.

Spiller was one of the dumbest picks I have ever seen, but he still has a way to go before that selection gets into Donte Whitner territory.

As bad a player as you think Donte Whitner is, the guy has done a decent job considering the coaches during his stay in Buffalo,plus he has remained a starter. Somehow I don't see it as entirely his fault in that he has to constantly chase down RB's that are getting thru the gaps because the linemen and LB's are out of position and can't tackle. This Buffalo Bills front seven haven't stopped any team from running for 5 years. I'm kinda surprised the guy doesn't have pure white hair from all the worry, knowing he has to do his job and most everyone elses... not many in front of him know how to tackle. Not to mention that the guy was the 56th rated player coming outta the draft, again not his fault he was selected so high, and therefore carried high expect ions about his play. At least the guy was on the field and did the best he could given the circumstances.

Spiller was a liability as a RB last season, he couldn't block worth a damn so he was only involved in called run plays or specific pass plays in which he was the main target Imagine Chan Gaileys surprise when he names Spiller the starting RB to open the season.... only to find that he was getting the QB killed every pass play, and then couldn't find a hole to save his life....he didn't stay the starter for very long... a few plays maybe.

The greatest chef in.the world isn't going to make ground beef into a porterhouse. Edwards has turned into a head case and Brohm just doesn't have the talent. Neither one is coachable. It's not fair to dump those two on Gailey's doorstep.

Its OK if you don't want to hang any blame for those two on Gailey, he didn't draft either. But then he shouldn't get all the credit for Fitz playing as well as he did either.

What has Chan Gailey done so far to make you think he is a good HC? At 4-12 the team was worse last year under Gailey then it was under Jauron or Fewell.

Isn't the offense this HC's specialty? The O line didn't improve in any aspect, it got worse at RT all season long, the defense remained one of the worst in the league, even after the secondary improving to one of the best last season under Fewell. it regressed this season, 3-4 or 4-3 it didn't matter, they couldn't stop the pass or run, special teams got worse

I will give Gailey some credit for his play calling at times, it was better then Turk Schonert or AVP. But then I think back to that Miami game in which all he called was shotgun passing plays with a RB and RT that couldn't block anyone....

The pass offense improved because Fitz was able to call protections-read defenses-quickly release the ball before the pass rush got to him. plus he showed some amazing escape-ability in some games The run offense was worse in YPG and If not for Fred Jackson they have no running game at all, if not for Fitz they have no passing game at all. The O line looked like it improved but it actually regressed last season. They had walk-ons at RT who played better then the guy they brought in and paid 3 mil to. Pass protection schemes were horrid from day one and it was Fitzy's escape ability that allowed him to survive most games. remember the Jets game where Fitz was the leading rusher, it was because he was running for his life most of that game.

Chan Gailey names CJ Spiller the starting RB when Fred Jackson hurts his hand, never mind the fact that the new RB doesn't know how to block, pick up blitzes or even find a hole. Never-mind the fact that the new RT Cornell Green doesn't know how to block either, plus he isn't even quick enough or smart enough to move in front of opposing players to stall them for a second or two. Those two areas alone should show you that this HC didn't prepare his players properly or even know that his players weren't properly prepared. HTF do you name a player the starter and then need to see him play in a game to find out that he can neither run or block...

This head coach is so far removed from a HC that actually knows what he is doing.... Dick Jauron did a better job his first year.... now I just wonder how long it will take for the rest of you to see it.

Its OK if you don't want to hang any blame for those two on Gailey, he didn't draft either. But then he shouldn't get all the credit for Fitz playing as well as he did either.

What has Chan Gailey done so far to make you think he is a good HC? At 4-12 the team was worse last year under Gailey then it was under Jauron or Fewell.

Isn't the offense this HC's specialty? The O line didn't improve in any aspect, it got worse at RT all season long, the defense remained one of the worst in the league, even after the secondary improving to one of the best last season under Fewell. it regressed this season, 3-4 or 4-3 it didn't matter, they couldn't stop the pass or run, special teams got worse

I will give Gailey some credit for his play calling at times, it was better then Turk Schonert or AVP. But then I think back to that Miami game in which all he called was shotgun passing plays with a RB and RT that couldn't block anyone....

The pass offense improved because Fitz was able to call protections-read defenses-quickly release the ball before the pass rush got to him. plus he showed some amazing escape-ability in some games The run offense was worse in YPG and If not for Fred Jackson they have no running game at all, if not for Fitz they have no passing game at all. The O line looked like it improved but it actually regressed last season. They had walk-ons at RT who played better then the guy they brought in and paid 3 mil to. Pass protection schemes were horrid from day one and it was Fitzy's escape ability that allowed him to survive most games. remember the Jets game where Fitz was the leading rusher, it was because he was running for his life most of that game.

Chan Gailey names CJ Spiller the starting RB when Fred Jackson hurts his hand, never mind the fact that the new RB doesn't know how to block, pick up blitzes or even find a hole. Never-mind the fact that the new RT Cornell Green doesn't know how to block either, plus he isn't even quick enough or smart enough to move in front of opposing players to stall them for a second or two. Those two areas alone should show you that this HC didn't prepare his players properly or even know that his players weren't properly prepared. HTF do you name a player the starter and then need to see him play in a game to find out that he can neither run or block...

This head coach is so far removed from a HC that actually knows what he is doing.... Dick Jauron did a better job his first year.... now I just wonder how long it will take for the rest of you to see it.

What the hell are you talking about? I never even inferred either of those two statements.

What the hell are you talking about? I never even inferred either of those two statements.

well, not for nothing but you did stand up for him when made the statement

The greatest chef in.the world isn't going to make ground beef into a porterhouse. Edwards has turned into a head case and Brohm just doesn't have the talent. Neither one is coachable. It's not fair to dump those two on Gailey's doorstep.

Edwards was good until he was concussed and knocked out of the game in Arizona,and very coach-able early in his career. Jauron was such an unbelievable moron in terms understanding how to build an offense and offensive line, and yet the new supposed offensive minded guru actually made that horrid O line worse then it already was.

well, not for nothing but you did stand up for him when made the statement

Edwards was good until he was concussed and knocked out of the game in Arizona,and very coach-able early in his career. Jauron was such an unbelievable moron in terms understanding how to build an offense and offensive line, and yet the new supposed offensive minded guru actually made that horrid O line worse then it already was.

What the hell are you trying to say in your first sentence? Look Harve.....when construct the sentence, read before button press.

Everyone knows that Edwards swan song was the Arizona smack down. And Gailey had a crappy, injured, OL to work with last year. To wit:

In 2009, Edwards played 8 games and got sacked 23 times.

In 2010, Fitz played 13 games and got sacked 24 times.

What the hell are you trying to say in your first sentence? Look Harve.....when construct the sentence, read before button press.

Everyone knows that Edwards swan song was the Arizona smack down. And Gailey had a crappy, injured, OL to work with last year. To wit:

Are you denying that you stated :

"The greatest chef in.the world isn't going to make ground beef into a porterhouse. Edwards has turned into a head case and Brohm just doesn't have the talent. Neither one is coachable. It's not fair to dump those two on Gailey's doorstep."

When I read that it sounds like you are defending Chan Gaileys inability to mold either of those two into serviceable NFL QB's, even as backups. Thats what the hell I'm talking about!

BTW, apparently Chan Gailey thought Edwards was still coach-able, because he wasted an entire off season preparing Edwards as the starter

Nobody is arguing that Fitz wasn't the better QB, in fact I pointed out that Perry Fewell benched Edwards in favor of Fitz the year before. Last years O line was clearly worse then the year previous simply because they had walk ons playing RT most of the year. Posting the sacks stats between the two QB's doesn't necessarily point to the difference between the O lines. If you watched the games over the last few years then you also noticed that Fitz had more escape-ability when he played vs Edwards. There were also many variables besides the two O lines and QB's, player changes, play caller changes, offensive scheme changes, protection scheme changes. ETC.

Gailey had a crappy OL to work with last year. To wit: because Gailey drafted a crappy RB with the 1st round pick , and didn't draft an O linemen until round 5, even then that player was such a project that he didn't see the field despite the fact that the Bills were desperate for stability at RT all season long.

That underlined sentence of yours sure sounds to me like you are defending Gailey...again.

Are you denying that you stated :

"The greatest chef in.the world isn't going to make ground beef into a porterhouse. Edwards has turned into a head case and Brohm just doesn't have the talent. Neither one is coachable. It's not fair to dump those two on Gailey's doorstep."

When I read that it sounds like you are defending Chan Gaileys inability to mold either of those two into serviceable NFL QB's, even as backups. Thats what the hell I'm talking about!

BTW, apparently Chan Gailey thought Edwards was still coach-able, because he wasted an entire off season preparing Edwards as the starter

I should have said, ".....it's not fair to dump those two on ANYBODY's doorstep." IMO, no coach could have done anything with those two. And though you have a valid point about prepping Edwards as the starter, it would be equally fair to say Gailey also had Fitz ready to go too, no?

Nobody is arguing that Fitz wasn't the better QB, in fact I pointed out that Perry Fewell benched Edwards in favor of Fitz the year before. Last years O line was clearly worse then the year previous simply because they had walk ons playing RT most of the year. Posting the sacks stats between the two QB's doesn't necessarily point to the difference between the O lines. If you watched the games over the last few years then you also noticed that Fitz had more escape-ability when he played vs Edwards. There were also many variables besides the two O lines and QB's, player changes, play caller changes, offensive scheme changes, protection scheme changes. ETC.

Gailey had a crappy OL to work with last year. To wit: because Gailey drafted a crappy RB with the 1st round pick , and didn't draft an O linemen until round 5, even then that player was such a project that he didn't see the field despite the fact that the Bills were desperate for stability at RT all season long.

That underlined sentence of yours sure sounds to me like you are defending Gailey...again.

I am defending Gailey against what I consider to be unfair criticism from people who are looking for a scapegoat to dump the miserable state of affairs on. It has taken many years and many bad moves by persons other than Gailey to put the team where it is.

Are you sure that Gailey was the one who is solely responsible for drafting Spiller?

If the team loads up and doesn't make significant improvement, then I will look at the whole picture and if Gailey is part of the problem, I will candidly admit it.

I should have said, ".....it's not fair to dump those two on ANYBODY's doorstep." IMO, no coach could have done anything with those two. And though you have a valid point about prepping Edwards as the starter, it would be equally fair to say Gailey also had Fitz ready to go too, no?

I am defending Gailey against what I consider to be unfair criticism from people who are looking for a scapegoat to dump the miserable state of affairs on. It has taken many years and many bad moves by persons other than Gailey to put the team where it is.

Are you sure that Gailey was the one who is solely responsible for drafting Spiller?

If the team loads up and doesn't make significant improvement, then I will look at the whole picture and if Gailey is part of the problem, I will candidly admit it.

Oh... so now you know what the hell I'm talking about. :D

Sok, you were defending him, and I get the reason why, in that he is only been the HC for one season, and you want to give the man some leeway to build the team the way he wants.... I'm just not going to give him any ! Why should I not comment about his many mistakes and blunders, this guy is just another scrub HC in the long line of ( wanna be's-has been's-maybe's) scrub head coaches hired by this owner. Its not scapegoating the guy if I'm pointing out his very valid mistakes.

You point out that he was handed a bad O line, and I point out he was given an entire off season to correct the situation. Was it entirely his fault because the scouting staff sucks so bad they can't determine the difference between a bad player and good player.... yea, it is entirely his fault....as the HC it is entirely his fault for not looking over each and every player acquired by the team.

There is a reason the team was worse last year at 4-12 then the year before with Jauron-Fewell, Gailey isn't part of the problem... he IS the problem. The owner states that the reason this team loses is because of the lack of talent on the field, its more because of the lack of talent on the sidelines in the coaching and FO staffs, and has been for a decade. This team has been losing and reloading the coaching staffs for over a decade, exactly who is going to be grading and evaluating the new players so the team "loads up"? The very same men who thought Green was a 3mill a year RT?

Your take is Chan Gailey had Fitz prepped and ready to go after cutting Edwrads, my take is that Gailey was darn lucky Fitz was still there or didn't suffer a serious injury during the year, because last years team goes win less without Fitz. Lets not forget Fitz was out injured for one game last year and one game the year before. What happens if Fitz gets hit as hard as Edwards did in Arizona and starts playing like Edwards, like Losman.

Why guys like you continue to defend these loser coaches this owner hires is the reason the stadium is always filled, and more importantly the reason why things will never change with RW as owner.

Unless there is some inside information from someone who has access to the inner circle, it has become impossible to make an educated guess as to who the Bills are after with their top pick. I was surprised by the CJ pick last year, as were a lot of people. I certainly can't see through the smoke screens, so I have no idea whether they'll go for Newton/Gabbert, or with a defensive player, or trade down (or up, I suppose). My gut tells me there's more upside to a defensive player with the #3 pick than Newton/Gabbert, but I have no idea what to expect

Hope you can share info as you get it. It really is much appreciated. Same for Never Say Die.

i wasnt surprised by Spiller, i was surprise that we didnt trade Lynch sooner.... I still think Spiller will be a 10 TD, 1,300 plus yards from scrimmage type of player

Good article from Pat Kirwan that I had saved a few years back about the misinformation that's "leaked" in the weeks leading up to the draft. At the State of the Bills this past week for example both Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey had banter back and forth with MC Steve Tasker on Cam Newton that IMHO was seemed forced and just a little over the top to me. Look on the main page of Buffalo Bills.com; article by Chris Brown- Newton ahead of Gabbert. Smoke ??? maybe and then the Bills Booster meeting with Paul Peck speaking and his lofty praise for Newton and how he would be perfect for the Bills. Maybe the Easter Bunny is wispering in Paul's ear. Funny last year nothing was ever said much about Spiller at any of these events though I did find out a few days before the draft that Spiller was very much on the Bills' radar.

Here is the Pat Kiwan article: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d80fe0897/printable/dont-believe-the-hype-it-could-just-be-a-smokescreen

I don't know about that. I heard Gailey loud and clear and knew Spiller was the pick as I predicted. I actually wanted Spiller and I am still pleased with the pick. We have other problems that that pick could have been used to fix but Spiller could be special. I would have only been happier if we had gotten one of the elite tackles in the draft but they were gone by our pick.

By our head coach's own admission he has to do a better job of getting production out of Spiller. An o-line that can block without TE and RB help, set the edge, open an inside hole or any hole for that matter would be of the greatest help to utilizing Spiller's talents as a runner. Spiller is a RB whose talent is blowing "through" holes and using his speed not blowing "open" holes. Lynch and Jackson were the guys to pound for extra yardage when the o-line couldn't get the RB to the line of scrimmage untouched. Rookie RBs struggle with blocking and his deficiencies in this area helped to keep him off the field because our line needed help.

Spiller can also catch the ball and made a nice grab or two down field. Other than a couple of those plays it seemed like it was so incredibly obvious when Buffalo intended to use Spiller in the passing game. That tired little swing pass into the flat with no kind of blocking or deception wasn't fooling anyone.

Despite my signature file and desire for defense for this team to me it seems more and more likely we will draft Cam Newton. Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is probably correct. The owner wants a QB. The coaches are talking up Newton as well as Gabbert for that matter. We are probably getting a QB.

That being said it is also a perfect setup for a trade which almost NEVER EVER EVER happens but it is certainly cause for speculation. Although extremely unlikely all it takes is one team willing to give up a LOT to get one of these hyped up QBs. Doesn't mean they can't live up to the hype just that they are hyped.

I don't know about that. I heard Gailey loud and clear and knew Spiller was the pick as I predicted. I actually wanted Spiller and I am still pleased with the pick. We have other problems that that pick could have been used to fix but Spiller could be special. I would have only been happier if we had gotten one of the elite tackles in the draft but they were gone by our pick.

Rookie RBs struggle with blocking and his deficiencies in this area helped to keep him off the field because our line needed help.

Despite my signature file and desire for defense for this team to me it seems more and more likely we will draft Cam Newton. Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is probably correct. The owner wants a QB. The coaches are talking up Newton as well as Gabbert for that matter. We are probably getting a QB.

Question, with all due respect.....Using Occam's Razor, how can you be happy with the Spiller pick, and then blame his failure (which may or may not be true) on a bad offenmsive line? When was the last time the Bills had a good offensive line? Did they ever have a great one? Do you expect one any time soon?

Using this concept, there is no reason to believe that the Bills will ever will be able to block well for Spiller. The passed over players such as Clady, Mangold and Branden Alpert for the likes of Whitner and McKelvin because this is the way we roll. Remember talk of how "Spiller was going to improve the offensive line?" Ouch.

I agree with you that they will draft a qb because Mr. Wilson wants one. He may be right too, but I am not holding my breath for OL help. But, until they get it, they will continue to be a small, weak team that plays in the cold with no home field advantage.

Oh... so now you know what the hell I'm talking about. :D

Sok, you were defending him, and I get the reason why, in that he is only been the HC for one season, and you want to give the man some leeway to build the team the way he wants.... I'm just not going to give him any ! Why should I not comment about his many mistakes and blunders, this guy is just another scrub HC in the long line of ( wanna be's-has been's-maybe's) scrub head coaches hired by this owner. Its not scapegoating the guy if I'm pointing out his very valid mistakes.

You point out that he was handed a bad O line, and I point out he was given an entire off season to correct the situation. Was it entirely his fault because the scouting staff sucks so bad they can't determine the difference between a bad player and good player.... yea, it is entirely his fault....as the HC it is entirely his fault for not looking over each and every player acquired by the team.

There is a reason the team was worse last year at 4-12 then the year before with Jauron-Fewell, Gailey isn't part of the problem... he IS the problem. The owner states that the reason this team loses is because of the lack of talent on the field, its more because of the lack of talent on the sidelines in the coaching and FO staffs, and has been for a decade. This team has been losing and reloading the coaching staffs for over a decade, exactly who is going to be grading and evaluating the new players so the team "loads up"? The very same men who thought Green was a 3mill a year RT?

Your take is Chan Gailey had Fitz prepped and ready to go after cutting Edwrads, my take is that Gailey was darn lucky Fitz was still there or didn't suffer a serious injury during the year, because last years team goes win less without Fitz. Lets not forget Fitz was out injured for one game last year and one game the year before. What happens if Fitz gets hit as hard as Edwards did in Arizona and starts playing like Edwards, like Losman.

Why guys like you continue to defend these loser coaches this owner hires is the reason the stadium is always filled, and more importantly the reason why things will never change with RW as owner.

You're playing both sides of the fence regarding Gailey. It's "entirely his fault" that the OL was bad but he was "darn lucky Fitz was still there." You dislike Gailey and that's fine. I didn't care much for the choice originally, either. But there is no point in continuing this conversation with you if you are going to dump all of the blame for one thing on Gailey and then call him "lucky" for something that worked out fairly well.

You just continue to rail at loser coaches and Ralph, there Harv. And if guys like me didn't fill the stadium, you could be bitching about some other NFL team/coach/owner other than the Bills.

In fact, I recommend it.

Edited by DrFishfinder

It's all about timing. It was at the Owners' Meetings last year that Gailey/Nix talked about "drafting a water bug":

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11889/gailey-wants-to-draft-a-scatback

This year, Gailey talked with Allen Wilson at the owner's meetings, and mentioned:

1. Gailey reiterated that Ryan Fitzpatrick is his starter, if a franchise quarterback is available with the third pick in the draft, the Bills would strongly consider him.

2. Gailey said teams continued to double cover Evans early in the season, but didn't do it as much by the middle of the year.

So...AJ Green if Newton is taken.

You're playing both sides of the fence regarding Gailey. It's "entirely his fault" that the OL was bad but he was "darn lucky Fitz was still there." You dislike Gailey and that's fine. I didn't care much for the choice originally, either. But there is no point in continuing this conversation with you if you are going to dump all of the blame for one thing on Gailey and then call him "lucky" for something that worked out fairly well.

You just continue to rail at loser coaches and Ralph, there Harv. And if guys like me didn't fill the stadium, you could be bitching about some other NFL team/coach/owner other than the Bills.

In fact, I recommend it.

First of all I'm not playing both sides, the O line was entirely his fault, and not Perry Fewell's or Dick Jauron's or any other past head coaches fault like you infer. Once the guy takes over as HC he is responsible for every player that takes the field, and if that player doesn't know how to do his job, then how is it the responsibility of past head coaches?

You say he had Fitz well prepared to take over and that's why Fitz did so well, on the contrary Fitz played well because he was named the starter over Edwards the previous year by Perry Fewell. Fitz was the better QB to begin with and your man wasted an off season preparing a QB he cut two weeks into the season, talk about a moronic move.

What you don't get is that if the stadium isn't filled by guys like you, and there is a threat that the owner won't make a profit, then at that point he will finally break down and go out and hire a proper HC. Just like he did back in the late 70's when he hired Chuck Knox, why don't you "Google" Chuck Knox, and see that he was able to turn around the Bills in a very short time... good coaches do that... they usually improve the team their first year, and they don't make constant bonehead moves. The ONLY thing that improved last season was the play calling, and even that was suspect during several games.

I have no idea how old you are or how long you have been a Bills fan, all I can say if I've been a fan and have attended Buffalo Bills games OJ Simpson was the starting RB. You appear to be new at this because you are defending another of RW's scrub hires. Lest you forget, Chan Gailey was fired in his previous job as OC of the 2-14 KC Chiefs

So you can recommend all you want, I'm staying right here, and will continue to rail, piss, B word, and moan all I want... as is my right. Until either until the current owner awakens and hires a good HC or the team passes to another owner.

P.S. you didn't answer the question... who exactly is going to "reload" this team, the same men who thought Cornell Green was an effective RT at 3 mill a year?

By our head coach's own admission he has to do a better job of getting production out of Spiller. An o-line that can block without TE and RB help, set the edge, open an inside hole or any hole for that matter would be of the greatest help to utilizing Spiller's talents as a runner. Spiller is a RB whose talent is blowing "through" holes and using his speed not blowing "open" holes. Lynch and Jackson were the guys to pound for extra yardage when the o-line couldn't get the RB to the line of scrimmage untouched. Rookie RBs struggle with blocking and his deficiencies in this area helped to keep him off the field because our line needed help.

Spiller can also catch the ball and made a nice grab or two down field. Other than a couple of those plays it seemed like it was so incredibly obvious when Buffalo intended to use Spiller in the passing game. That tired little swing pass into the flat with no kind of blocking or deception wasn't fooling anyone.

That being said it is also a perfect setup for a trade which almost NEVER EVER EVER happens but it is certainly cause for speculation. Although extremely unlikely all it takes is one team willing to give up a LOT to get one of these hyped up QBs. Doesn't mean they can't live up to the hype just that they are hyped.

Where? The only reference I remember Gailey making was about drafting a waterbug at the Owners meeting like Astrobot linked above. No mention of Spiller. I am at most Bills related events and do not believe Nix or Gailey mentioned Spiller once. I do remember that at the pre-draft breakfast last year only a few pre-screened questions were answered. I will double check with a friend who was there if Spiller was mentioned at all. I only remember hearing that Spiller was very much on the Bills radar 2 days before the draft and that was NOT in the media.