A Look at TE...

Astrobot

I have access to ProFootballFocus.com's extensive statistical database (draft droids like that sort of thing). AFC East TE's are increasingly becoming a factor, and it's passing the Bills --and the Jets--by. Look at this:

MIA Anthony Fasano, #4 overall rating among NFL TE's out of 107 TE's

NEP Rob Gronkowski, #5

NEP Alge Crumpler, #10

NEP Aaron Hernandez #13

MIA Mickey Schuler #34 (led league in yards per reception among TE's)

BUF Scott Chandler #39

NYJ Ben Hartsock #52

NYJ Matthew Mulligan #52 (tie)

BUF Shawn Nelson #56

NYJ Jeff Cumberland #60

BUF Jonathan Stupar #82

NYJ Dustin Keller #84

BUF David Martin #87

Crumpler (available as a FA last season) ended up as the #3 run blocker. Kleinsasser was a FA and ended up 7th in run blocking.

Chandler ended up as the Bills' best pass receiver, but in 61st place. He led in pass blocking (48th place), and in run blocking (#34).

Stupar had the best Thrown At/Caught Ratio, 92%. Although 7 TE's had 100% ratios this year, Stupar was next, so 8th in the league.

Do we need more from the TE position? Certainly, and we could do much more with whom we have. Is any help going to come from the draft? This is an extremely weak position, so don't count on the Bills drafting Rudolph in RD2. Stocker's stock has fallen so that he'd likely be there in RD3. Kendricks from Washington is a 4th Rounder--sort of a lumbering type. DJ Williams is more athletic and would be a good receiver, but he's 6'2" and not likely better than Chandler/Stupar. I think the Bills have to acquire a TE in Free Agency when --and if-- it happens.

I have access to ProFootballFocus.com's extensive statistical database (draft droids like that sort of thing). AFC East TE's are increasingly becoming a factor, and it's passing the Bills --and the Jets--by. Look at this:

MIA Anthony Fasano, #4 overall rating among NFL TE's out of 107 TE's

NEP Rob Gronkowski, #5

NEP Alge Crumpler, #10

NEP Aaron Hernandez #13

MIA Mickey Schuler #34 (led league in yards per reception among TE's)

BUF Scott Chandler #39

NYJ Ben Hartsock #52

NYJ Matthew Mulligan #52 (tie)

BUF Shawn Nelson #56

NYJ Jeff Cumberland #60

BUF Jonathan Stupar #82

NYJ Dustin Keller #84

BUF David Martin #87

Crumpler (available as a FA last season) ended up as the #3 run blocker. Kleinsasser was a FA and ended up 7th in run blocking.

Chandler ended up as the Bills' best pass receiver, but in 61st place. He led in pass blocking (48th place), and in run blocking (#34).

Stupar had the best Thrown At/Caught Ratio, 92%. Although 7 TE's had 100% ratios this year, Stupar was next, so 8th in the league.

Do we need more from the TE position? Certainly, and we could do much more with whom we have. Is any help going to come from the draft? This is an extremely weak position, so don't count on the Bills drafting Rudolph in RD2. Stocker's stock has fallen so that he'd likely be there in RD3. Kendricks from Washington is a 4th Rounder--sort of a lumbering type. DJ Williams is more athletic and would be a good receiver, but he's 6'2" and not likely better than Chandler/Stupar. I think the Bills have to acquire a TE in Free Agency when --and if-- it happens.

I agree, if the team could upgrade the TE position it would do wonders for the offense. Unfortunately, as you indicate, the

draft is VERY weak at TE. MAYBE they can score a decent TE in FA - IF there is FA this year...

We don't have to draft a t.e.

There are a good number of better tight ends that are free agents this year. And any one of them I think would be better than what we have currently. [http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/wr.html]

Zach Miller (OAK) – Miller is without a doubt the Raiders top offensive target. He’s a reliable target who has produced at a high level without a legitimate starting quarterback. Unlike many of the hybrid tight ends around the league, Miller is also a good blocker with a very bright future ahead of himself.

Marcedes Lewis (JAC) – The 6’6, 275-pound Lewis had a breakout season as a reliable red zone target. His size creates mismatches down the seam and opens up room underneath. He isn’t an elite tight end, but is the most consistent receiver on the Jaguars. Given the struggles the Jaguars have had in finding dependable offensive weapons since the Jimmy Smith/Keenan McCardell days, they’ll look to re-sign Lewis. Like Miller, Lewis is also a well-rounded tight end.

Owen Daniels, HOU – Daniels was on a sizzling pace in 2009 before injury cut short a spectacular season. Over the last quarter of 2010, he showed some of the same promise that he could soon be an elite pass-catching TE once again. Still, the injury last year cost Daniels a lot of coin.

Kevin Boss, NYG – Boss is a well-rounded tight end in line with the Giants emphasis on the running game. Though opportunities have been somewhat limited by the success of the Giants receiving corps, Boss has been reliable and effective when thrown to. He’s the perfect tight end for the Giants offense and an integral cog in both the rushing and passing attack.

Other Notable Free Agents:

Ben Patrick (ARZ)

Dante Rosario (CAR)

Jeff King (CAR)

Desmond Clark (CHI)

Reggie Kelly (CIN)

Alex Smith (CLE)

Leonard Pope (KC)

Joey Haynos (MIA)

David Thomas (NO)

Matt Spaeth (PIT)

Kris Wilson (SD)

Randy McMichael (SD)

Daniel Fells (STL)

John Gilmore (TB)

Bo Scaife (TEN)

I really wanted us to get Hernandez last year. I am hoping we can get a young quick TE that can stretch the middle this year but am not sure how valuable Crumpler would be to us given his age.

DJ Williams is a guy that is somewhat similar to Hernandez. Great in the passing game but not quite physical as a blocker.

DJ Williams is a guy that is somewhat similar to Hernandez. Great in the passing game but not quite physical as a blocker.

I guess that's been my thought all along. We've never had a good run blocking OL and our RB's do well and with the speed of Spiller (I hope he steps it up) and Jackson we have seen that we need to worry about pass blocking first.

Imagine Fitzy having a Hernandez type in the middle with Stevie Johnson to draw the coverage and Lee Evans going out long?

Plus, in my opinion, I have never understood why teams just don't put an extra OL on the field instead of a TE when it is obvious to run.