Nick Fairley

Fairley is a tremendous talent, but has a lot of "risk," especially playing for a losing team in extreme cold. He is also much more "penetrator" than gap filler. 3-4 DEs are usually more the latter.

I wouldn’t call him a penetrator or gap filler. Id call him a dominator. He just blew up whoever tried to block him in every game – throwing most guys off of him like they were rags dolls, strolling through double and triple teams. He didn’t fill any gaps really, he create havoc in the gaps and moved the gap a yard into the backfield. His highlights are like Ndamakong Suh highlights. I think he needs to grow up a bit to be as good as Suh (I expect his rookie year to be about half as good as Suh’s) but IMO (…IMO…) he is hands down the best player in the draft.

I think that if you realistically go back to November mocks you'd be hard pressed to find him higher than 7-8 and many in the teens. That said, it's a November mock so I'm not arguing he's the 14th best player - just that his stock bumped up a lot. That Georgia game left a foul taste in a lot of peoples mouths and he certainly wasn't in many top 5s at that point.

Maybe, I don’t really remember or put my into those mocks, they aren’t always up to date at that point of the year either. I was referring to this boards top DT/draft prospect. Back then it was pretty set that he was going top 2 and we missed out on him by wining this game or that game. I think Buffalo Barbarian was one of the few that liked Dareus more at that point. We could look back but its moot. It was majority like Fairley then, its not anymore. Not here or in Mocks.

Isn't Fairley a 4-3 DT? Sounds like someone didn't get the memo we will be playing a 3-4.

I got the memo I am just not buying the hogwash that is “Fairley can only play 4-3 DT.” Fairley would be a stud 5 tech end IMO. He is strong, long, is very agile and fast, and plays on the other side of the LOS – he could play well at any position on the DL (which Mayock said on air – that Fairley could plays any DL position in any front) Fairley would make a better 4-3 end and 3-4 OLB than Kelsay would (not saying much I know I am just playing devils :devil: advocate here). He may be a better 3 tech than 5 tech but he would be one hell of a 5 tech too.

That Fairley is tremendously talented is true. Good as Suh - no way.

One of Nick's tactics is grabbing the OL's jersey and pulling the OL forward, and he won't get away with that in the NFL very often. Fairley's game is penetration. He is not a "stand up the double team" type of player, which means he isn't designed for a 3-4. His game is quickness off the snap and agility, not power. Dareus, he is about power.

Fairley is also a one year wonder with a spare tire, and those types flash red flags about giving them big bucks up front. He also has no experience at DE.

Pardon me if there is a Fairley column, I went back quite a few pages and did not find one. Early on in mock drafts everyone had Fairley gone before we picked 3rd. Now everyone has Dareus as the favorite DT. With a lot of hype going to Newton. I am starting to believe that the Bills are being coy and are hoping that the hubbub around Gabbert, Newton, Peterson, Bowers, Miller, and Dareus mask their desire for Fairley. Good article by Doyel to that effect. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14812120/suh-wrong-again-disregard-fairley-chatter

I would love for us to get Fairley and actually prefer that the Bills had the guy that plays dirty for a change. Let's put Fairley back on top as our favorite draft option. if he is half the player as N Suh he will be great.

IMO, Newton and Fairley have the largest BUST potential. Dareus or Bowers should be available when we pick and we should pick one of the two.

I have liked Dareus a lot from the start, and have been down on Fairley since the week of the championship game where he vaulted to #1 on a lot of lists. I would prefer Dareus, but I think Fairley's stock has gone from too high to too low. I am not sure he will be the best player we can get at #3, but I don't mind him and think he is likely to be a great player and a very good top 10 pick.

Pardon me if there is a Fairley column, I went back quite a few pages and did not find one. Early on in mock drafts everyone had Fairley gone before we picked 3rd. Now everyone has Dareus as the favorite DT. With a lot of hype going to Newton. I am starting to believe that the Bills are being coy and are hoping that the hubbub around Gabbert, Newton, Peterson, Bowers, Miller, and Dareus mask their desire for Fairley. Good article by Doyel to that effect. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14812120/suh-wrong-again-disregard-fairley-chatter

I would love for us to get Fairley and actually prefer that the Bills had the guy that plays dirty for a change. Let's put Fairley back on top as our favorite draft option. if he is half the player as N Suh he will be great.

I prefer to to develop my opinion on how players played on the field not at the combine. The combine is what makes a Maybin look better than Orakpo...not that he was.

At the end of the season Fairley was regarded a more dominant player. I would have no problem taking Fairley no matter what scheme. He can flat out play. I like Dareus as well, I would have no problem with either one but Fairley is no slouch.

Edited by VADC Bills

I think Fairly has the higher ceiling and lower floor. He is more athletic than Dareus, but Dareus

has a longer track record and, reportedly, has a better work ethic. So, I think that Dareus has

less "bust potential" (ie, less likely to be a total washout), but Fairley has at least some probability

of being a better player than Dareus.

I don't think the Bills can afford to "gamble on greatness" yet again. That's unfortunate picking

this high, but their past misses really have set them back. The Pats' formula is to find solid contributors

and (higher floor) and hope to occasionally find a star like Brady. That seems to work well for them.

Now, to implement the Pats' strategy, it helps to be able to trade down. I understand all the arguments

against trading down (again) and the problems finding a partner to trade down with...

That Fairley is tremendously talented is true. Good as Suh - no way.

One of Nick's tactics is grabbing the OL's jersey and pulling the OL forward, and he won't get away with that in the NFL very often. Fairley's game is penetration. He is not a "stand up the double team" type of player, which means he isn't designed for a 3-4. His game is quickness off the snap and agility, not power. Dareus, he is about power.

Fairley is also a one year wonder with a spare tire, and those types flash red flags about giving them big bucks up front. He also has no experience at DE.

Honestly, I would have said it the exact opposite way. I think they are both quick, but Fairley showed me a lot more power and strength than Dareus did this season. Dareus seemed to move better lateral along the line to get around blockers, while Fairley went straight through them. That’s not saying Dareus couldn’t use more power moves or Fairley couldn’t move around blockers more often, but from what they showed in games this year – I would say Fairley is the strength player ala Suh and Dareus is a quickness guy ala McCoy (with Fairley not being as good as Suh and Dareus being better than McCoy)

The real question I have is – could either play NG? like I said I didn’t see much space eating from Dareus this year, but at 321 he is already the same size as Troup (he tweeted 326 or whatever was reported in that other thread) and can move much better. I don’t know if Fairley will ever get above 320 – or if he even should. I doubt either plays NG but having that option is a plus for either prospect. Maybe that allows up to move KW to DE and have Dareus/Fairley and Troup inside at NG? I would like to have the option at least.

I still want Fairley the most.