Bills biggest immediate "need" ?

papazoid

How about this flight of fantasy - Bill trade down a couple picks but are still able to get Dareus then they use 2a on Martez Wilson and 2b on Dontay Moch 3rd goes for Allen Bailey

1. Dareus DE/NT

2a. Martez Wilson ILB

2b. Dontay Moch OLB

3. Allen Baily DE

4a Derek Newton OT/OG

4b.Joseph Barksdale OT/OG

5. Mark Herzlich LB

6. Mario Fannin, RB

7. Da'Norris Searcy, SS

obviously this team has many many needs....but in my opinion, the single greatest need based on who is currently on our roster is OLB. i'm not saying thats who i pick in first round, i'm just sayin that is our weakest position. Kelsay is horrible. Merriman is damaged goods and probably will not play much this season. Moats has upside as a situational 3rd down blitz guy, but has not shown me anything on 1st and 2nd downs stopping the run or covering backs. it's possible the bills go OLB first round and DL in second because of depth in this draft.

if it was me picking, based on this years players and how i think the draft will fall, i am picking best avail DL in first (Dareus or Fairley) and best avail QB in second (we have no one backing up Fitz). i do not see a OLB (von miller) worthy of the third overall pick.

Some of you guys are being a little hard on Kelsay. I watched every game this past season on NFL Ticket and on most defensive plays I saw Kelsay right there in the camera shot around the tackle. Now, most of the time it was a second or so after the tackle was made but he was right there in the picture. :lol:

Agreed. I also agree with the idea of picking either DL stud with our overall #3 (though our immediate needs are so large adequate) but disagree with the idea of spending a 2nd on a QB who at best is going to sit on the bench this year in the 2nd.

There simply is no very good potential for a reasonable bet for any of the QB prospects to be much more than a speculative project who merits a early pick. I think folks like Ponder, Mallet, Kapernick, etc MIGHT turn out to be good pros, but none of these are such a sure thing that they merit the Bills passing on a DL, OLB, or an OL guy they should be able to develop at least into a quality back-up in a year or two of training.

Its a 50/50 crapshoot that even the #3 pick will be a starter after the end of his first year. It is possible but gets less and less probable and possible as the rounds go up whether we get any contribution out of the pick. A QB taken is pretty much guaranteed to be a project his first year contributing little or likely nothing. This also is probably ls likely his second year for any of these individuals talked about.

Our immediate needs dictate that we not roll the dice on a QB prospect until round 4 or later.

I think if the Bills take Cam, he will not sit on the bench all year. Chan would work him in here and there in the wildcat or maybe for a series to change things up. He would definitely see some action.

NOSE TACKLE

Not when you have Kyle Williams and Troupe already.

When the Packers drafted Rodgers and he sat for a few years did they get a return on that pick? I would say so. They won a SB because of him. When the Chargers drafted Rivers did they get an immediate return on him? No they didn't. He sat for at least a couple of years. Now he is one of the best qbs in the game.

It doesn't matter who the Bills take with their first round pick and what positon the player plays as far as the impact on the success of the team. The Bills are not going to have that good of record next year. Odds are better they will lose more than they will win. That isn't being negative; that is being realistic.

The Bills are in the process of rebuilding a depleted roster. It is going to take at least another few years and drafts to have enough talent to be a serious team. The process could be accelerated with a more aggressive approach in free agency. That is not going to happen with this organization.

Look back and see which teams have been in the playoffs for the past few years. Almost all the participants had upper tier qbs. In my view it is better to get that high caliber prospect on the roster sooner rather than later.

The question I tried to answer since that was the one asked was in regard to what the biggest IMMEDIATE need was. Perhaps you are clairvoyant enough to see that Brett Favre is done in a year or two (Favre actually did not see it that way and lead a team deep into the playoffs after the Pack let him go to show it) and in translating this to the Bills case can anticipate that the guy you draft in the first can deliver you an SB win years later making him an immediate need that you judge the Bills using their #3 next year (or even their second rounder) on a player who will sit for a year or two...

I however decided to answer by proposing more likely IMMEDIATE contributors.

For the first time in a long azz time I think we have a GM (with mini gm *Whaley*) who have a clue as to how to build a team. Many here seem to be fretting left and right up and down, some are calm and sensible, others not so much. It's my gut instinct that Nix knows what the hellz he's doing and he doesn't give a rats azz what we all think. I believe he would have liked Tebow, but Fitz's play last season soothed Nix's ruffled feathers. Babbling a bit but I'm known for that.

IMO Nix believes offense is ok (for this upcomming season. Assuming he gets a quality TE in FA). He will balance going for D and BPA but probably will slightly tilt his sights towards BPA. I hope this means D in a big way but we shall see what the Nix wants. Ralph can go for a crowd pleaser and ticket seller if he wishes but Nix will put his crotchety and well versed foot down and IMO Ralph will oblige. The bean counters can have an uproar but at this time and at this point in the franchise's history, Nix will have the balls and perhaps the say so to tell them to shut their damn traps!! All speculation on my part ofcourse.

We loyal fans have travailled for so long. It's about time we have a GM (elderly as he may be, but with a thumping heart and a will to succeed) who IMO will take a no nonesense approach to building a team. Bear in mind that a franchise team (such as ours) won't be solidified in one or two years. It takes time to build the necessary blocks for sustained success but we won't ever lay down and give up on winning a SB no matter how depleted our talent may be.

We are on the upswing gentlemen and ladies. It's about damn time and it should last for a while. Demote Madrock to late round pick analysis and we'll be dandy. If we don't get all the pieces this year we can next year.

Every effin day at work I tell my coworkers we are one day closer to the draft. It is the equivalent of my SB (for now). This year we are retooling again, next year reloading and kicking ass and in between we will try and demolish as many opponents as possible. Rebuilding is never an option. You always go for glory every chance you get. In the meantime you build and build and it gets easier if you have solid leadership. I babble too much at times I must admit but I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm a die hard, hard core Buffalo Bills fanatic!

Go Bills!!!

obviously this team has many many needs....but in my opinion, the single greatest need based on who is currently on our roster is OLB. i'm not saying thats who i pick in first round, i'm just sayin that is our weakest position. Kelsay is horrible. Merriman is damaged goods and probably will not play much this season. Moats has upside as a situational 3rd down blitz guy, but has not shown me anything on 1st and 2nd downs stopping the run or covering backs. it's possible the bills go OLB first round and DL in second because of depth in this draft.

if it was me picking, based on this years players and how i think the draft will fall, i am picking best avail DL in first (Dareus or Fairley) and best avail QB in second (we have no one backing up Fitz). i do not see a OLB (von miller) worthy of the third overall pick.

Gabbert