Why did Weiss go to ND?

whiteboy

This may have already been discussed, but why in the world did Charlie Weiss take the head coaching job at Notre Dame?

It seems to me that he was a sure-fire candidate the get a head coaching job in the NFL after this season. He would have gotten one after last season if he wasn't prohibited from interviewing during the super bowl run.

This may have already been discussed,  but why in the world did Charlie Weiss take the head coaching job at Notre Dame? 

It seems to me that he was a sure-fire candidate the get a head coaching job in the NFL after this season.  He would have gotten one after last season if he wasn't prohibited from interviewing during the super bowl run.

159719[/snapback]

He is an ND alumni and I think that this was his dream job...NFL teams should have been willing to wait until after the Super Bowl and they could have got him..their loss.

why does a dog lick his #####. Common man, in the world of coaching, nd is one of the most coveted jobs there is.

This may have already been discussed,  but why in the world did Charlie Weiss take the head coaching job at Notre Dame? 

It seems to me that he was a sure-fire candidate the get a head coaching job in the NFL after this season.  He would have gotten one after last season if he wasn't prohibited from interviewing during the super bowl run.

159719[/snapback]

Guest U. Meyer From Gainesville
why does a dog lick his #####.  Common man, in the world of coaching, nd is one of the most coveted jobs there is.

159736[/snapback]

Truer words were never spoken.

Guest Lurkoff

The one thing I'm curious about is why he is able to finish the 2004 season with the Pats, when it was reported that had Clements gotten the nod, he would have had to leave his post with the Bills immediately.

BTW - I think it's ridiculous to expect any coach to leave in the middle of a season, whether or not they have a chance for postseason appearance. Isn't there a moral obligation to the players, other coaches, and fans to finish the year?

He also said that this job is not a stepping stone, but essentially the pinacle of his coaching dreams.

159821[/snapback]

True. He's a ND alum, but obviously didn't play ball there. He loves the school, the program, and the players (word around these parts is he had a lot to do with the Pats taking a look at Givens a few years back, which has worked out well for a 7th round pick). Plus, he's interviewed for 3-4 NFL jobs, Bills included. And according to the Boston media, this job is paying him about 4 times what he now makes as the Pats DC, with a 6 year guarantee.

159719[/snapback]

If he didn't get a job as a coordinator after winning two Super Bowls, then why should he expect to get one this year (even if he wins #3)?

ND has more guaranteed nationally televised games than any other team in football - college or pro. He's an alum. If he wins, he'll be a hot NFL candidate.

He needs to prove himself as a head man.

He also said that this job is not a stepping stone, but essentially the pinacle of his coaching dreams.

159821[/snapback]

This must be the case because if it was a stepping stone, he would be taking a huge irrational risk by taking this job. Remember, Ty Willingham - after his surprisingly successful 1st season in ND - was thought to be a strong prospect for an NFL head coaching job. Now he's got to completely turn around the Washington program to even get a sniff of the NFL.

There's no way Weiss would take this job if he didn't want to be there for a while.

Why?  Is Belichick going there as his defensive coordinator?

159977[/snapback]

Is that to say you don't think Weis is a valuable aspect of the coaching staff? Do you think Belichick can claim total responsibility for the Pats' success?

I think we'll see a less-effective Tom Brady after Weis leaves.

Is that to say you don't think Weis is a valuable aspect of the coaching staff? Do you think Belichick can claim total responsibility for the Pats' success?

I think we'll see a less-effective Tom Brady after Weis leaves.

159987[/snapback]

Not at all. Weis has certainly had his input in the Pats' recent success.

However, there are many instances where Belichick has outcoached teams, such as last year's Monday night game against Denver (taking the safety late in the game and yet still coming up with the win), that make him so tough to coach against. Given that, I feel losing Belichick would hurt the success of the Patriots A LOT more than losing Weis. Belichick is a smart enough coach to prepare for Weis' departure, so Brady shouldn't have a significant dropoff, but you never know.