I'm Preparing My Draft Bowl List

Astrobot

I will be making my annual Draft Bowl list of players to look for in each bowl game, based on the following list of needs:

1. A Difference-Maker TE. Blocks and catches the football. Can dominate the game. Can find the seams. Fearless over the middle.

2. A Dominant DE and DT. Although Kelsay played well yesterday, it makes sense to continue our quest for the best defensive line in football especially with the contracts of Schobel and Williams coming up.

3. A Quick-Footed, Road-Grader Tackle. While I'd be happier getting this one through FA, it doesn't hurt to grow one's own.

4. Another Cornerback. We seem to do well drafting competitive corners. Might as well have the eventual replacement for Clements (although it very well could be McGee, in which case we also need a KR)

5. A long-range Kicker. This could be Lindell's eventual replacement or some motivation in training camp.

6. A Fleet, Hard-Hitting LB who's great on Special Teams.

7. One more injured RB with great prospects!!!!

Any other requests? Any particular priority order?

Guest Guesteroo

How about some yound quality depth at both safety positions? Lawyer and TV are getting up there, and I think we've seen enough of Wire, PP, and Izell Reese. Need some quality playmaking youth there.

I will be making my annual Draft Bowl list of players to look for in each bowl game, based on the following list of needs:

1. A Difference-Maker TE. Blocks and catches the football. Can dominate the game. Can find the seams. Fearless over the middle.

2. A Dominant DE and DT. Although Kelsay played well yesterday, it makes sense to continue our quest for the best defensive line in football especially with the contracts of Schobel and Williams coming up.

3. A Quick-Footed, Road-Grader Tackle. While I'd be happier getting this one through FA, it doesn't hurt to grow one's own.

4. Another Cornerback. We seem to do well drafting competitive corners. Might as well have the eventual replacement for Clements (although it very well could be McGee, in which case we also need a KR)

5. A long-range Kicker. This could be Lindell's eventual replacement or some motivation in training camp.

158878[/snapback]

Aaron Schobel just signed a contract extension in the last couple of months, didn't he?

Thanks, Guesteroo.

8. Quality Depth at Safety. Would love to see Milloy's Hitting with Troy Vincent's Ability to be at the right place at the right time!

158878[/snapback]

OK got good prospects for ya.

1)- Weak at TE this year, no Winslow type

2)- Erasmus James Wis, Justin Tuck ND, Marcus Spears LSU

3)- CJ Brooks Maryland. This is the guy I want! He is an absolute STUD and is underrated, could go in round 2

4)- CB- cant really think of one yet.

5)- Mike Nugent Ohio State, I would draft him in the third round if I were THIS team!

6)- Ahmad Brooks is a guy I like at OLB

7)- Maurice Clarett! TD is a guy who takes chances. Theguy can play and is not a head case in my mind. He just wanted to get into the draft. Currently in the third or later, he could be a steal! Noah Herron Northwestern, and Walter Reyes Syracuse are striking too. Herron is too slow for my blood but has got great moves.

Guest Guesteroo
I don't have any record of this. Would like to know.

158900[/snapback]

I just checked the "Front Office" section on this site. Aaron Schobel just signed a 5 yr 23 million dollar extension. It's there in blue and white! Look it up! He isn't going anywhere!!!

OK got good prospects for ya.

1)- Weak at TE this year, no Winslow type

2)- Erasmus James Wis, Justin Tuck ND, Marcus Spears LSU

3)- CJ Brooks Maryland. This is the guy I want! He is an absolute STUD and is underrated, could go in round 2

4)- CB- cant really think of one yet.

5)- Mike Nugent Ohio State, I would draft him in the third round if I were THIS team!

6)- Ahmad Brooks is a guy I like at OLB

7)- Maurice Clarett! TD is a guy who takes chances. Theguy can play and is not a head case in my mind. He just wanted to get into the draft. Currently in the third or later, he could be a steal! Noah Herron Northwestern, and Walter Reyes Syracuse are striking too. Herron is too slow for my blood but has got great moves.

158913[/snapback]

You've got to be kidding me about Clarett. For one thing we seem to be doing okay at RB even with Travis hurt. For another, TD is the LAST guy in the league who would take Clarett. Every time that whole controversy came up, I'd see another quote on NFL.com where TD was saying something negative about Clarett.

I don't have much overview as to what is available yet, who is coming out early and even rankings except for maybe 1st round players, but like your list of options and thoughts Astrobot.

1) TE:

From the little i know so far i agree with JP-era, there doesn't seem to be any TEs out there like Winslow, Watson and Troupe from last year, with the exception maybe of H. Miller if he comes out. If he does he migt be out of our reach in the second round, and i am not sure if i would want him anyway.

Campell is steady, and from what i have seen/read about Euhus this year i am excited to see what he can do next year with one year under his belt. Too bad he looses the chance in the last few games to get some #1 TE option experience, but he looks like a very nice pass catching TE.

Would like one more TE to compete with Neufield (assuming Peters is a OT), but would not spend a high draft pick on it.

An intruiging option is North Colorado's WR Vincent Jackson.

The guy is 6-6, 235, with a listed 40 time of 4.53. Even described as a good punt returner which should mean he has some open field moves, and played basketball.

2) DE or DT:

Depends on who is available in the second round. If we resign Williams, i am very comfortable with our DL as it is. Knowing Kelsay hopefully will continue to improve, and the other 3 staying where they are. But if like JP-era points out E. James should be available for us in the 2nd, i would be tempted to pick him as well.

He would add an element of pure pass rusher that we don't really have in Kelsay, Denney or maybe even Schobel. All 3 being more all rounders. Having James as an option on 3rd and longs, would be another nice weapon for Mr. Gray.

Another guy i would look long and hard at is Oregon's DT Ngata.

If he is close to healthy after his knee injury, his numbers sound very intruiging as an eventual replacement for Adams or Williams.

Needs some seasoning, but with numbers like 6-5, 345 and a listed 40 time of 4.87 it is very tempting indeed.

3) OL:

Think we are in a very good position with our 2nd round pick to get an excellent inside OL player, a top G or C.

Wouldn't mind seeing Brooks as JP-era mention, or one of the 2 centers Wilkerson or Carter which seem to have dropped a bit after both being mentioned as 1st rounders earlier.

Another intruiging guy is Texas LT John Scott. Might not come out early, but could slip to mid-late 2nd round if he does.

Described as very athletic, excellent footwork and quick and agile. An insurance if Jennings leaves, or maybe use him as a pulling LG to being with.

4) CB:

I would be surprised if we don't spend a relatively high pick on a CB next year. Both with TD's habit of picking up potential replacements early, and if Vincent is moving to FS full time we are a little thin at CB.

Would be very happy to see Thomas and Greer step up enough to make this pick not a need, but think it might be asking too much.

So if someone like LSU's Corey Webster who has had a little let down this year compared to his junior season was available in the late 1st or early 2nd, i might have traded up for him.

Another option a little later , especially if one look for someone as a KR too, is Oklahoma's A. Perkins. May not be a starter at CB, but a nice nickle and dime option, and described as one of the best returners in NCAA history.

7) RB:

Assuming Henry gets traded, i would try to pick one up early 2nd day to compete with Shaud Williams and Burns for the back up role. Never quite been sold on Burns, and would like a better option as a back up. Maybe Williams can fill that role, but a 3rd dependable RB would be nice.

Don't know anyone specific i would go after, but there seem to be quite a few good ones this year, and someone will be there in the 4th or 5th.

8) WR:

Not the biggest need, but if Reed doesn't show signs of getting out of his 1.5 year slump and/or Aiken not being able to step up, i might spend another pick on a wideout.

Depends on who is available where, if someohow C. Henry should be available in the 2nd (don't think he will) it would be hard to resist the temptation of possibly getting a Moss light type of guy.

Or maybe another speed guy with A. Currie or C. Thorpe in the 3rd or 4th round.

Too many options :lol:, and i guess one should enjoy the ride this year before thinking about next year. But it is difficult being a draftaholic :angry:.

2) DE or DT:

Depends on who is available in the second round. If we resign Williams, i am very comfortable with our DL as it is. Knowing Kelsay hopefully will continue to improve, and the other 3 staying where they are. But if like JP-era points out E. James should be available for us in the 2nd, i would be tempted to pick him as well.

He would add an element of pure pass rusher that we don't really have in Kelsay, Denney or maybe even Schobel. All 3 being more all rounders. Having James as an option on 3rd and longs, would be another nice weapon for Mr. Gray.

Another guy i would look long and hard at is Oregon's DT Ngata.

If he is close to healthy after his knee injury, his numbers sound very intruiging as an eventual replacement for Adams or Williams.

Needs some seasoning, but with numbers like 6-5, 345 and a listed 40 time of 4.87 it is very tempting indeed.

159938[/snapback]

I think you MUST look at David Pollack from Georgia, also. I like this guy...quick, good moves, has the intensity of a rabid dog, and can get pressure on the QB. He's probably the best DE coming out. He may be a bit on the small side, but he's definitely NFL material. He could be gone by the time the Bills pick, though.

And forget Clarett. This guy is a head case no matter which way you look at it - regardless of whether or not his accusations of Ohio St. are true. The Bills do NOT need that.

I agree Andy, Pollack would be another very nice option, but think as you do that he will be gone by our pick.

About Clarette, i must admit that i have some reservations on him as well. But if he should pass the interview with Bills scouts/recuiters/TD at the combine or elsewhere i would give him the benefit of the doubt.

I covet the best kicker in College Football. Mike Nugent from Ohio State is 90% from beyond 50 yards... and he gets many many many opportunities there. As we are on the topic of Clarett... stay away. He is a selfish little brat, a jerk and an complete @$$. And (only those who actually watched him in every game like I did) he is injury prone. He only played 50% of the time. I'll stick with Willis, but I would prefer Nugent over Lindell any day.

I covet the best kicker in College Football.  Mike Nugent from Ohio State is 90% from beyond 50 yards... and he gets many many many opportunities there.  As we are on the topic of Clarett... stay away.  He is a selfish little brat, a jerk and an complete @$$.  And (only those who actually watched him in every game like I did) he is injury prone.  He only played 50% of the time.  I'll stick with Willis, but I would prefer Nugent over Lindell any day.

160199[/snapback]

I agree...3rd round, lets take Nugent. The guy is just automatic, and come on...raise your hand if you'd love to be the one to lead the "Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge" cheer at The Ralph.

The draft and the salary cap/free agency go hand-in-hand. From what I've read on these boards, next year we'll be over the salary cap. That's with Jonas Jennings becoming a free agent. We have several options for freeing up cap room:

1. Eric Moulds. This guy can still play, but he's scheduled to count $8 million against next year's cap. That's ridiculous, and something needs to be done.

2. Drew Bledsoe. He will count $6.5 million against the cap if he stays, $4 million if he goes. But if he continues playing as well as he has these last few weeks, it will be hard to ask him to take another paycut; or to start unproven Losman.

3. Mike Williams. At the beginning of the year, Mike Williams was considered an obvious choice for a paycut or a roster removal, especially since his salary is going to be a lot higher in 2005. But with the way McNally has that man playing, it would be really hard to cut him or ask him to take a paycut.

4. Other. There's got to be someone on this team who's overpaid for what he's producing. Probably signing Troy Vincent was a mistake, because we can get by with McGee and Clements at corner, Milloy and Baker at safety. It would be nice to have Vincent's cap space back. But because we've already paid him his bonus, next year would be too early to get rid of him.

Let's say that TD decides to solve his cap problems by showing Eric Moulds and his $8 million cap figure the door. We would really need a possession receiver, and Sam Aiken may not be good enough to fill that role.

The draft and the salary cap/free agency go hand-in-hand. From what I've read on these boards, next year we'll be over the salary cap. That's with Jonas Jennings becoming a free agent. We have several options for freeing up cap room:

1. Eric Moulds. This guy can still play, but he's scheduled to count $8 million against next year's cap. That's ridiculous, and something needs to be done.

2. Drew Bledsoe. He will count $6.5 million against the cap if he stays, $4 million if he goes. But if he continues playing as well as he has these last few weeks, it will be hard to ask him to take another paycut; or to start unproven Losman.

3. Mike Williams. At the beginning of the year, Mike Williams was considered an obvious choice for a paycut or a roster removal, especially since his salary is going to be a lot higher in 2005. But with the way McNally has that man playing, it would be really hard to cut him or ask him to take a paycut.

4. Other. There's got to be someone on this team who's overpaid for what he's producing. Probably signing Troy Vincent was a mistake, because we can get by with McGee and Clements at corner, Milloy and Baker at safety. It would be nice to have Vincent's cap space back. But because we've already paid him his bonus, next year would be too early to get rid of him.

Let's say that TD decides to solve his cap problems by showing Eric Moulds and his $8 million cap figure the door. We would really need a possession receiver, and Sam Aiken may not be good enough to fill that role.

164856[/snapback]

Vincent isn't/wasn't a mistake.