offseason/draft thoughts

BIllsNation

There isn't just one way to build a team. I think, as has been discussed here thoroughly, that the better a team knows what it wants to look like, play like, then the better able it is to identify capable and potentially excellent players to fill it's roster. Whether we get Miami's young NT Solaia(?) in F.A., or draft Phil Taylor, makes little difference to me as I like them both. But, overall, the more spots we're able to fill via F.A. with more than stop-gap players (like last years poor excuse for a RT Green), then the more freedom we'll have in the draft - if F.A. comes first - and, the more F.A.'s of quality that we sign, the sooner we'll be able to compete for a playoff spot, as opposed to relying strictly on the draft.

I don't know if I'd like Mallet even in round 2. He is big and I think his arm is GREAT, but he is

not exactly mobile and behind the Bills' line that is bad. From what I've read, he hasn't shown

the ability to read a defense consistently, either.

I am more concerned with the (reported) inability to read a defense more than the lack of

mobility, but an immobile QB who might be slow diagnosing what the defense is doing

behind a poor pass-blocking OL doesn't look to me like it will result in success.

okay so if in the offseason if we signed a guy like cullen jenkins then went and signed an ilb like barret ruud and resign whitner and poz would you guys be opposed to drafting aj green in the first round and a guy like mallet in the second?

I don't like the scenario that you describe. We need to get big and tough on defense. We have to be able to win our division - aka beat the Jets and Pats - which means stopping the other teams' offenses. I don't want another WR; we already have several decent ones on the roster. Assuming Lee is back next year and Easley and R. Parrish are 100% by training camp, we have plenty of WRs. We need to build the defense in 2011.

okay so if in the offseason if we signed a guy like cullen jenkins then went and signed an ilb like barret ruud and resign whitner and poz would you guys be opposed to drafting aj green in the first round and a guy like mallet in the second?

Yes, No and No. WRs and RBs are adime a dozen So Robert Quinn should be at 1 and and OT, NT or ILB should be at 2. Poz is serviceable but whitner can go and we would be fine Rather have Scott and Wilson back there.

Cullen Jenkins yes, but why would you want to resign Whitner and Poz? And why would you sign a Poz 2.0 in Ruud? No thanks :thumbdown:

IMO Cullen Jenkins and Cofield should be our top 2 priorities.

Edited by DreReed83

There isn't just one way to build a team. I think, as has been discussed here thoroughly, that the better a team knows what it wants to look like, play like, then the better able it is to identify capable and potentially excellent players to fill it's roster. Whether we get Miami's young NT Solaia(?) in F.A., or draft Phil Taylor, makes little difference to me as I like them both. But, overall, the more spots we're able to fill via F.A. with more than stop-gap players (like last years poor excuse for a RT Green), then the more freedom we'll have in the draft - if F.A. comes first - and, the more F.A.'s of quality that we sign, the sooner we'll be able to compete for a playoff spot, as opposed to relying strictly on the draft.

IMHO, that is 100% correct!!!