February Movies: I Am Number Four, Just Go with It, & Unknown....

Mark Vader

James, seriously, WTF?? You've had a movie blog since 2009 and you never told us?? I post enough on here that I would have seen you mentioning it...no link in your sig?? STOP HOLDING OUT ON US, DAMMIT lol

Based on the reviews for Unknown, I think I'm going to skip it for now (maybe watch it on video). Instead we're going to go see True Grit. I'm not much of a western guy, but this one's supposed to be good so we'll see... Going tomorrow. :)

If you don't really enjoy that film, I'm gonna be very disappointed in you, young man. (No pressure)

James, seriously, WTF?? You've had a movie blog since 2009 and you never told us?? I post enough on here that I would have seen you mentioning it...no link in your sig?? STOP HOLDING OUT ON US, DAMMIT lol

If you don't really enjoy that film, I'm gonna be very disappointed in you, young man. (No pressure)

I've only recently been getting to catch up on some movie-watching and writing up the nominees. The blog is mostly where I dump some random musings, quotes, clips, etc.

The scene after when they find the body hanging from the tree is one of the biggest ":huh: WTF??? .... :lol:" moments I've ever experienced in a theater. "You are not LaBouef!"

Thanks, tgreg. You like the Sabres color-scheme, no? I only watched "The Kids Are All Right" but I just thought it was a great take-off / turn-on-the-head of an old theme. The dialogue was real-life --- something a lot of other movies could learn from. I could've lived with "Inception" getting it; that was very well-weaved. I just didn't like "The King's Speech" and its deviations from history/reality. Bertie's therapy with Logue began ~10 years prior to what they showed, Churchill supported Edward VIII just about until the abdication, among the other notes I made on it. It's a dumbed-down re-vision of history. Dude had 40 years to get the story right, and that's what he came up with? As I wrote, Masterpiece Theater's 2002 treatment was much better, IMO.

Can you guys comment on Ruffalo? I typically enjoy his performances, but I was a bit surprised that he was nominated for best supporting actor. I have yet to see this film, but definitely plan to soon. Was just curious on whether he was deserving of the nom.

James, I'll definitely be keeping tabs on your blog :D

I just caught a minute or so of a trailer that looks like another invasion of earth movie but I didnt catch the title. Something about L.A.? anybody have more info? Sorry for the lack of hard data.

The movie was great, and the lead actress was AMAZING (especially for a 14 year old!). Loved it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The movie was great, and the lead actress was AMAZING (especially for a 14 year old!). Loved it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Damn right brother! :thumbsup:

If anyone has been to see the cute Gnome movie I would really like to see their review.

It's up now, along with another animation.

Link

Not sure whether I should I put this in my sig line. I can think of plenty of +s and -s.

Can you guys comment on Ruffalo? I typically enjoy his performances, but I was a bit surprised that he was nominated for best supporting actor. I have yet to see this film, but definitely plan to soon. Was just curious on whether he was deserving of the nom.

James, I'll definitely be keeping tabs on your blog :D

I'd say that Ruffalo was maybe the weakest of the bunch that were nominated. Not to take too much away from him... it was a pretty strong year. But my judgment may be a little harsh. I tend to think of Oscar-worthy performances in terms of 'Could anyone else have done this just as well?' If the answer is no, well, there you go for your winner. As for Ruffalo as Paul, I've seen plenty of actors seriously f--- up roles like this. He handles it very well.

I'd say that Ruffalo was maybe the weakest of the bunch that were nominated. Not to take too much away from him... it was a pretty strong year. But my judgment may be a little harsh. I tend to think of Oscar-worthy performances in terms of 'Could anyone else have done this just as well?' If the answer is no, well, there you go for your winner. As for Ruffalo as Paul, I've seen plenty of actors seriously f--- up roles like this. He handles it very well.

I think that's why I wondered about him, for the exact reason you cited...but it sounds like he was worthy in a Marisa Tomei-in-My Cousin Vinny kind of way.