USA Today Story on Bills SBs

Good read , but depressing in a way. Yea , most likely no other team will ever go to 4 straight , but come on, we couldn't win one!!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2011-01-30-lopresti-buffalo-bills-super-bowl_N.htm

Im calling out Kelly when he says he'd rather of gone to 4 straight than win one...no way... :wallbash:

Edited by stevecana

It is hard to go back in time and relive those Super Bowl loses. They should have won at least one of the games. The only Super Bowl I felt they were overmatched in was against the Redskins. Levy was probably the best coach the Bills have ever had but he wasn't a Super Bowl caliber coach.

It is hard to go back in time and relive those Super Bowl loses. They should have won at least one of the games. The only Super Bowl I felt they were overmatched in was against the Redskins. Levy was probably the best coach the Bills have ever had but he wasn't a Super Bowl caliber coach.

Super Bowl Caliber? WTF is that?

He had his team play in 5 Conference title games in 6 years. They won 4 of them, meaning they were better than 30 other teams for an extended period of time. This, alone, means he's a 'Super Bowl caliber' coach.

1st one, we were unprepared because of only 1 week. Giants had been there before and knew the deal. If we'd have 2 weeks, I firmly believe we win rather easily. Andre Reed gettng hammered by Giants DBs and essentially taking him out of the game is most important overlooked factor. But even then, Bills talent kept it to within a coin toss of who'd win.

2nd one, Redskins were just on a roll that year. Rypien was playing way over his head and getting great protection. Just a bad break on year Bills thought would be theirs.

3rd one, Jimmy Johnson just bullied the Bills and Marv in the media. Although the Tasker blocked punt was a nice play they'd dreamed up. But in the end pretty hard to win the game when your starting QB gets knocked out in 1st half and the media is in the other team's pocket.

4th one, we could have won. Bills had beaten Cowboys in Dallas that season. And their staying power was getting into Cowboys heads. But the 2nd Thurman fumble changed everything. Then all the demons came rushing in and Bills fell apart. Great play by Lett, btw.

One of these years, nobody in the media will talk about the Bills' "record".

The only ones I had confidence in were 25 and 28. For XXV, I didn't think they'd roll the Giants, but the team was on a high and I actually thought the one week of prep would have helped them. The 9-minute drive in the third quarter was the killer. Oh...and that missed FG....

For XXVIII, I thought they had the experience and the players were determined enough to not let another loss happen. I really thought they were going to win it at halftime.

I still contend that the Bills have gotten more mileage (publicity) out of losing 4 SB's than most teams get for winning. I mean you hardly ever hear about the Bucs or Ravens winning and every year there are countless references to those Buffalo Bills from the early 90's (most good some negative).

The thing that really sucks about the SB years is that the Bills always dominated the NFC...except for the Big game. That makes me feel like we were outcoached when it really counted which is a slight against Levy and his staff..

The Buffalo News did a 4 or 5 page spread on SB 25 yesterday. I refused to even read one word of it. Does anybody really want to rehash those memories?

My father told me years ago that someday we'll look back and appreciate the fact that this team was merely in the Superbowl.

I can cherish the season they had and the run through the playoffs, but rehashing the game itself is still difficult. I can do so with friends/colleagues who respected the Bills, but not those who still like to give me crap with "wide right" comments.

Good read , but depressing in a way. Yea , most likely no other team will ever go to 4 straight , but come on, we couldn't win one!!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2011-01-30-lopresti-buffalo-bills-super-bowl_N.htm

Im calling out Kelly when he says he'd rather of gone to 4 straight than win one...no way... :wallbash:

I always have thought the same thing. And, I guess probably still do......But, one thing you can say now is that more people respect and appreciate that Bills team than they do say the '02 Bucs.

I heard Tony Kornheiser last week interviewing somebody and he was saying something about some team not being a dynasty like the Cowboys or Niners or Bills. That was good to hear!

As for Marv not being a Super Bowl caliber coach, would the kick being a few yards more left make him a Super Bowl caliber coach?

I still contend that the Bills have gotten more mileage (publicity) out of losing 4 SB's than most teams get for winning. I mean you hardly ever hear about the Bucs or Ravens winning and every year there are countless references to those Buffalo Bills from the early 90's (most good some negative).

The thing that really sucks about the SB years is that the Bills always dominated the NFC...except for the Big game. That makes me feel like we were outcoached when it really counted which is a slight against Levy and his staff..

Very true about Buffalo's domination of the NFC. XXVI was the Redskins' year. I find it interesting that the 'Skins have not been back to the big game in almost 20 years. Kelly got knocked out of the game early in XXVII and the Bills never recovered. The Bills should have won XXV and XXVIII, but alas, it was not to be. Thanks to the Buffalo Bills for the memories . . .