Will the Bills go back to the 4-3

wooly22

Do you really know that Gailey does not bother with the defense? If true, that makes Wannstedt even more valuable.

Yes. Gailey said so flat out in public after the season. If I have time later, I'm pretty sure I can find a link.

Do you know how much Wannstedt is making?

No. Neither do you. But it's an educated guess that he doesn't make a lot considering that he has been out of the league for six years, wasn't offered DC jobs, we already are paying a DC, Ralph Wilson is notorious for not paying coaches much and Wanny received a settlement from Pitt for "resigning" so he is being paid for not working there for at least this year and probably 2-3. The "resigning" was to save face for both Wannstedt and the school according to everything I read about it.

Do you know how many second interviews were granted for other DC positions?

They often list them in articles if you follow the jobs closely. I was interested because I wanted Wannstedt to come to Buffalo so I read a bunch of articles. They listed guys like, say, Jauron, who was brought in a second time for the Browns job which led to speculation he would be getting it. There would be no reason I could think of to hide the fact that Wanny was brought back, but I can't say I know for sure. I also didn't read anything that suggested in any way that he was a hot commodity. Jauron had a lot of print on him for both the Eagles and the Browns jobs (obviously because he had been coaching already on the Eagles and was thought to be the front runner by their beat writers and others.

Do you know what minute of the day Jauron was offered the Clevland job and if so, do you know when Wannstedt was notified? It looked to me that the news on Wannstedt broke before the news on Jauron but I will not claim to know for sure.

Logic, common sense, and following the story tells me that pretty clearly. I would bet anything on it. If you really want to believe that Wanny was still in the running for the Browns DC job but opted to take the Bills job instead, then within an hour the Browns informed and announced Dick Jauron, go right ahead.

Comparing Edwards DC position to that of Modkins OC position seesm reasonable. It is reasonable to assume that Wannstedt will have more resonsiblity than just ILB coach and that he will be leading the defensive game planning and strategy as well as have a role in mentoring Edwards.

I also think that Wannstedt will have a lot more responsibility than just ILB coach. I'm sure he will have a huge part of game planning and strategy. Hopefully, Edwards will listen to Wannstedt as much as he listens to himself. The point is only that there is nothing to believe from everything done and said and implied by anyone connected to the situation that Edwards is not in charge of the defense, will be calling the signals, and everything goes through him, not the other way around. For better or worse.

Believe me, I am not defending Edwards. I would be perfectly happy with Edwards fired and Wannstedt running the whole show.

Thanks.

Thanks. ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS YEARS DRAT HAS SEVERAL "SPACE HEATERS", PHIL TAYLOR 355LBS,,KENDRICK ELLIS 340+LBS,POWE ,FEAGAI. BUT I DIAGREE ABOUT DAREUS HE CAN PLAY DT IN 4-3 OR DE , AS WELL AS DE IN 3-4 DEFENSE.

ME IM HOPING FOR SOLAI IN FREE AGENCY TAKE DAREUS 1ST AND DRAFT TAYLOR IN 3RD.. THAT GROUP WITH WHO WE HAVE NOW WE CAN PLAY ANY FRONT,, :worthy:

I know in the cold of Buffalo you need these to play, but how efficient are they? Ralph is cheap, after all, and we all know he isn't going to splurge on energy this offseason.

The problem with the "space heaters" are their cords and the numerous tripping penalties that they bring to the team. You can try the ones with just batteries but they fatigue easily unless you use the energizer bunny ones, but who really wants a defensive line of bunnies?

Right, and how much space do you need to heat? And do you want a three-technique space heater, with variable temperatures, or a one-technique? Do you have two space heaters in the middle, or just one really big space heater?

This is the hottest thing in "space heaters" if you want a true nose tackle. Wide body, with great mobility too. Fits into the salary cap really well also.

http://www.consumersearch.com/space-heaters/delonghi-mica-panel-radiator-hhp-1500

The Bills appear completely and absolutely torn between which defense they want to play. There's evidence that points to each the 3-4 and the 4-3.

1. Edwards is a 3-4 guy. Wannstedt a 4-3.

2. Williams is a 3-4 DT. Merriman is a 3-4 OLB.

3. The Bills began drafting 3-4 guys. The Bills have more 4-3 guys on the roster.

I see Williams as 4-3 DT, not a 3-4 NT. The memories of the Giants clock eating drive in the Bills first SB appearance and the Jets clock eating drive against Indy a couple of weeks ago just keep going through my head.

You are of course correct in identifying what style gap space heaters we need or would make best use of. I want one or two that can bring the heat and be solid against the inside run attack. Williams is a definitve 4-3 DT in my mind

lets think we are going to continue towards a Buddy Ryan style defensive.

I do trust that we will be able to adjust the thermostat to any degree of offensive packaging with bob S. and george E. and the Stache at the controls.

By the way thanks tombstone for the heads up on those players. I will have a look. When will they appear in the draft? Besides that monster Taylor.

And the capital letters look like SHOUTING! haha.

I might be calling NTs space heaters for a while yet and having a little chuckle

thanks buddy

THIS YEARS DRAT HAS SEVERAL "SPACE HEATERS", PHIL TAYLOR 355LBS,,KENDRICK ELLIS 340+LBS,POWE ,FEAGAI. BUT I DIAGREE ABOUT DAREUS HE CAN PLAY DT IN 4-3 OR DE , AS WELL AS DE IN 3-4 DEFENSE.

ME IM HOPING FOR SOLAI IN FREE AGENCY TAKE DAREUS 1ST AND DRAFT TAYLOR IN 3RD.. THAT GROUP WITH WHO WE HAVE NOW WE CAN PLAY ANY FRONT,, :worthy:

We should take a space heater whenever there is a draft.

We should take a space heater whenever there is a draft.

Drat!

This is the hottest thing in "space heaters" if you want a true nose tackle. Wide body, with great mobility too. Fits into the salary cap really well also.

http://www.consumersearch.com/space-heaters/delonghi-mica-panel-radiator-hhp-1500

I don't know, I noted the "Quality control problems." Will our QC coach be able to get those in order? Also, how is this space heater going to work in the locker room if a "few complain of a persistent unpleasant odor"? You've got to worry about all 53 guys in the room here, and hygiene should be taken seriously if the Bills are to be looked at as a professional organization.