NASA

Peace

And now you're making yourself look like an ass by trying to argue that he didn't get the humor because he's ignorant. He's not. He. Just. !@#$ing. Hates. You.

Oh, the Mexican thingy was a joke? That's hilarious.

Sure, take all the fun out of the pissing contest, but to answer your question, one of them wears their rags on their head. :bag:

The Mexicans only do that on hot days after spending hours in the fields. It helps keep them cool while they're day laboring.

"Off the shelf" means "off NASA'S shelf". Stuff they've already developed. Basically, they're telling Congress "We can't make a rocket out of the rocket parts we already have."

I think the real problem is NASA's insistance on using the 5-seg SRBs and J-2X upper stage engines from ARES. They LIKE for projects to have both expanded scope and budget, and looks like the Congresscritters are really going to play hardball with them over what is in the law. IMO, NASA is doing what they always do, try and get more money to make a bigger rocket than what they were asked to build. Of course, no one really knows for sure exactly WHAT they will be launching with this thing either.

There is nothing in that law that requires the to use the designs they seemingly have thier hearts set on (see above), so it's time to work with what they have and make this thing work in the time and budget alloted. If they can't handle a 70-100MT to orbit, then there is no way they can be trusted with a true planetary scale launcer of 130MT. Time to get busy NASA, tick tock, tick tock...

I think the real problem is NASA's insistance on using the 5-seg SRBs and J-2X upper stage engines from ARES. They LIKE for projects to have both expanded scope and budget, and looks like the Congresscritters are really going to play hardball with them over what is in the law. IMO, NASA is doing what they always do, try and get more money to make a bigger rocket than what they were asked to build. Of course, no one really knows for sure exactly WHAT they will be launching with this thing either.

There is nothing in that law that requires the to use the designs they seemingly have thier hearts set on (see above), so it's time to work with what they have and make this thing work in the time and budget alloted. If they can't handle a 70-100MT to orbit, then there is no way they can be trusted with a true planetary scale launcer of 130MT. Time to get busy NASA, tick tock, tick tock...

In other words: the problem is the lawyers and bean-counters. I already knew that; that's all you had to say: lawyers and bean-counters.

In other words: the problem is the lawyers and bean-counters. I already knew that; that's all you had to say: lawyers and bean-counters.

Not even sure of that. My NASA contacts are frustrated by a lack of funds but they are both engineers frustrated with their peers too. Instead of saying "We have less $$, let's engineer something that works." They have, as MadCap says, their "hearts set on" bigger more expensive dreams. Unfortunately, today's NASA is not yesterday's and the engineers need to figure out a way to get along with less.