Opportunistic

NoSaint

All this talk of franchise qb vs defense vs trenches vs TE vs....

The one thing every great franchise is, is opportunistic. You lay a conservative, consistent plan to build through the draft, put in place some schemes (with a little flexibility) and you build according to that plan. When a player falls to you, when a coach becomes available, when someone hits the trade market at a high value, you pull the trigger. Even if ala haloti ngata, they dont fit the system. You build a culture of it in the building and on the field.

That is the one thing every playoff team has in common.

I like that the bills took spiller, possibly the best player in the draft, I like that they have a multiple front defense, I like that they are talking to wannstache - I'm hoping that as we get further along the plan we see them pull the trigger on a trade or FA or two - but right now its so early in the process.

As the talent level comes up I expect to see the D learn how to make the most of there opportunities and get turnovers, to see the offense grind out drives until someone guesses wrong on coverage and consistently get in the endzone instead of dropping balls, break a missed tackle and hit the endzone.

I think as our front office becomes more opportunistic, the play on the field will, and the wins will come. I hope whether it's aj green, Patrick Peterson, fairley, or whoever the bpa is, the bills take him at every pick.

Edited by NoSaint

All this talk of franchise qb vs defense vs trenches vs TE vs....

The one thing every great franchise is, is opportunistic. You lay a conservative, consistent plan to build through the draft, put in place some schemes (with a little flexibility) and you build according to that plan. When a player falls to you, when a coach becomes available, when someone hits the trade market at a high value, you pull the trigger. Even if ala haloti ngata, they dont fit the system. You build a culture of it in the building and on the field.

That is the one thing every playoff team has in common.

I like that the bills took spiller, possibly the best player in the draft, I like that they have a multiple front defense, I like that they are talking to wannstache - I'm hoping that as we get further along the plan we see them pull the trigger on a trade or FA or two - but right now its so early in the process.

As the talent level comes up I expect to see the D learn how to make the most of there opportunities and get turnovers, to see the offense grind out drives until someone guesses wrong on coverage and consistently get in the endzone instead of dropping balls, break a missed tackle and hit the endzone.

I think as our front office becomes more opportunistic, the play on the field will, and the wins will come. I hope whether it's aj green, Patrick Peterson, fairley, or whoever the bpa is, the bills take him at every pick.

I agree , but only if the team's deficiencies are addressed in FA to the best of ability.

I agree , but only if the team's deficiencies are addressed in FA to the best of ability.

I agree as you get closer to the end of the process. Once you get to the cusp of the playoffs you pull the trigger on players to jump you into superbowl contention. Last year none of the big names wouldve done anything to help us long term. Unless of course you see a chance at a great value or superbowl qb. See drew brees for the saints. You must find that player asap. Otherwise, unless a player is maybe coming off injury or you think league perception is lower then his actual ability (merriman?) then you bring them in. A 50 mill contract in year one of the rebuild will only sabotage you in the long run.

Ok... can we sign opportunistic as a free agent, then draft opportunistic?

Cmon man. Way to go out on a limb. Opportunistic is a broad, broad term. Were the Bills opportunistic when they drafted McGahee? Some say yes. What about Trent Edwards falling to the Bills in the third rd.? You must remember all the hoopla. Maybin, Whitner? Now that's gambling on a guy you think can bring your team up a notch. C'mon... the Bills thought they looked opportunity in the eye and grabbed it. Ask the Browns if they seized opportunity in 1999 and 2000... Tim Couch and Courtney Brown. Any team with the 1st pick in each of those years wouldn't have drafted any differently.

What they need is an owner that cares about winning. Ralph doesn't. Right now he's all about staffing the team and making a reasonable buck... and somehow, someway able to keep the fans somewhat engaged with a little name dropping, ordering Nix to go out on the road to colleges and find a QB. Some sizzle, but no porterhouse. A 90 something owner, a 70 something scouting director, a 70 something GM? Between the three of them, a lot of old school there. But, every day the gap widens between them and today's game. Hey... there's an opportunity for Ralph... hire someone 30 years younger to fill those positions. Better yet... SELL, Ralph, SELL.

Man, you're easy to get along with - the Anti-Mikey, you like Everything!

If the Bills have a multiple front defense, my neighbor's kid has a pony. Bills wish to build a multiple front defense. If wishes were horses....

If they don't intend for us to miss the playoffs for another 11 years, they better bring in some big mofo D guys who can play it and mentor the rooks.

Edited by Hopeful

Man, you're easy to get along with - the Anti-Mikey, you like Everything!

If the Bills have a multiple front defense, my neighbor's kid has a pony. Bills wish to build a multiple front defense. If wishes were horses....

If they don't intend for us to miss the playoffs for another 11 years, they better bring in some big mofo D guys who can play it and mentor the rooks.

That's the thing - it's a process. It's about not reaching for need. It's about picking high talent that slides regardless of if it's your biggest need, or if it fits your scheme. Make your scheme take advantage of the surprises that fall to you. Maybin didn't fall to us. Whitner didnt fall to us. We took need based on scheme too early. Don't take a Von miller at 3 just cause we need LB help if Peterson and green are there. That's a concept we have missed terribly recently. When was the last time we brought in a merriman, or took the number one player on the draft board? It seems we are starting to take advantage of the opportunities that fall in our laps. It's not a promise of success but if you hold the plan long term you will more often be in the playoffs then not.

Edwards in the third was a great opportunity. If we could re-do his tenure with better talent around him, better coaching, a real strategy of how to take advantage of the talent we happened upon, I don't doubt he would have been a high value 3rd round pick. Instead we hamstrung ourselves with schemes that didn't seem to work, players that werent as good as where what we could have had - generally a lower talent pool to work with.

Good playoff teams have the best roster not the best D, the best o line following some formula. They have a franchise QB and the best possible players available coupled with the best coaches they can find.

I hate how this team was run by marv and dick because it just led to second rate players being coached into second tier schemes run by second tier coaches. Thus far it seems this won't be chans and buddy's MO, whether or not they hit success fast will be some luck but I believe we are on the right path. Might they end up with tim couch? Yes, but I hope they won't follow him to the grave, and will continue to search for their next qb. Seems like what nix subscribes to with the SD qb situation he was a part of.

Edited by NoSaint

Don't give me this bpa crap that only works when you are an elite team, when you got holes to fill you fill them. Spiller was the dumbest pick behind maybin who was a need but anyone with a brain could see he was not the best DE out there. We need to draft guys who can play and quit messing around with great athletes with great "potential". Our team would look way better with Bulaga and Gronkowski than Spiller and Troupe. Troupe might turn out ok but you don't switch to a 34 and draft a 315Lb NT. That position needs to be at least 340 but more like 360. We should have signed Casey Hampton last year and drafted Coddy or Cam Thomas and let them develop behind him. Building through the draft is the foundation of any team but the good teams sign quality free agents to fill holes.