Bills in Free Agency

Owen

Here is my prediction of what the Bills front office will do in free agency...

Sign a veteran QB

Sign a veteran RB

Sign a veteran TE

Attempt to sign a good OT ....They might succeed

No trading of draft picks in any round......

In the draft we will see them upgrade early on at DT, DE, OLB and MLB...in no particular order

I expect them to select a TE, CB, & S in the later rounds...

Purely a guess... and hope I am right... They have a long ways to go to get really better...

We have had a lousy front office for too many years with NO football people in charge until now.

I think your pretty close, I think they make a run for a great OT and a good TE..

Who are these "great" OTs who are hitting the market? Even good OTs rarely are allowed to hit free agency, much less great ones.

Is Khalif Barnes a free agent? He backed up Langston Walker at RT for the Raiders last year. I think we'll try to keep this Raiders RT pipeline flowing.

Seems like Bills closed the door on going hard in free agency once Donahoe left.

Perhaps more importantly, no one wants to come to Buffalo. It's perhaps the worst team in perhaps the worst city. Players will go anywhere for the right price, but the problem is that other teams will also be willing to pay just as much, if not more, than Buffalo. The Bills will end up overpaying on some leftover 3rd tier free agents, just like always.

We pretty much know that the Bills wont be adding anyone in FA, but that doesn’t mean we cant get better.

I am talking about “Addition by Subtraction”

The Bills FO needs to hurry up and cut some dead weight BEFORE a new CBA is agreed upon. There are currently no cap penalties for cutting you dead weight players (because there is no cap), when in years past that has been. Stroud, Kelsay, Maybin, McCargo, maybe even Evans (am I missing anyone?)…. They all need to be cut before us releasing them affects our cap space again. Then, freeing up all that coin would actually allow us to spend some in FA and not affect Ralphs pockets, essentially “trading” the current group of bums for someone else’s bums!

Wake up Buddy wake up!!!

Did I miss something?

Did Nix retract his "build through the draft" philosophy?

And it is that philosophy that is the reason why this franchise will never be competitive for a division title or Super Bowl Championship.

I don't think the coaching staff sees offensive production out of the TE position a high priority.

You are probably right, too bad any good teams see it much different. That is why we had less catches by a TE than any other team in the NFL and it was by quite a substantial margin too.

TE is no 1 but a NT and OLB would make me real happy :worthy:

DARE TO DREAM,,MILLER ,SOLIAI, WOODLEY.

NOT SO FAR FETCHED,,DAVIS all but garrunteed a exodus of free agents by firing CABLE,

SOLIAI wanted a extension last year but the FINS blew him off,,WOODLEY is due big money and STEELERS believe in 30% rule in negotiations,that and our asst gm WHALEY ,is the guy who scouted Woodley for the STEELERS.. Like I said "DARE TO DREAM" !

The Bills have no chance at top-tier Free Agents. Same way the worst companies in the world have no chance of having me work for them. Sure, they could offer me a truckload of money - but guess what - we got this way because we don't offer anyone a truckload of anything.

The Bills would probably have to pay at least a 15% premium for any player with serious options to come here, and we simply will never do that.

We pretty much know that the Bills wont be adding anyone in FA, but that doesn’t mean we cant get better.

I am talking about “Addition by Subtraction”

The Bills FO needs to hurry up and cut some dead weight BEFORE a new CBA is agreed upon. There are currently no cap penalties for cutting you dead weight players (because there is no cap), when in years past that has been. Stroud, Kelsay, Maybin, McCargo, maybe even Evans (am I missing anyone?)…. They all need to be cut before us releasing them affects our cap space again. Then, freeing up all that coin would actually allow us to spend some in FA and not affect Ralphs pockets, essentially “trading” the current group of bums for someone else’s bums!

Wake up Buddy wake up!!!

What's the hurry? The player's union and the owners are certainly in no hurry to agree to a new CBA. Mark my words, usual offseason activities won't commence until June at the earliest.

The Bills have no chance at top-tier Free Agents. Same way the worst companies in the world have no chance of having me work for them. Sure, they could offer me a truckload of money - but guess what - we got this way because we don't offer anyone a truckload of anything.

The Bills would probably have to pay at least a 15% premium for any player with serious options to come here, and we simply will never do that.

I SEE ,AND YOU BASE THIS ON YOUR CRYSTAL BALL,??,I KNOW YOU HAVE A TRUCKLOAD OF SOMETHING,,BUT I THINK ITS FROM THE SOUTH END OF A NORTH BOUND MULE!

I know there are a lot of ??? with the CBA looming but I was thinking about all the talented players itching to hit the FA market and I could help but think what kind of contracts these players would be getter. I assume the contract dollar amounts would continue to climb but at the same time it wouldn’t surprise me if the salary cap dropped from 2009 or stayed the same as the Owner want to keep more of the leagues profits. If that happened then I guess it would force teams to stop raising players contracts but I figured that wouldn’t happen.

George Wilson signed a 1.8 mil tender to be a back up. I figure the Bills could resign him for 3 yrs 7 million and he could replace Whitner – which is better than 7 per for lil Donte

Florence signed a 2 yr 6.6 mil contract that is expiring soon. I figure we could keep his #s the same and sign him to a 3 yr 10 mil contract

Poz could get a deal similar to Desmon Bishop just got, 4 yr 21 mil. If he doesn’t like that then let him walk, the two previous I would fork out a little more to keep them but not Poz.

Free Agents

Mankins is going to be the highest paid G in the league. Jahri Evans currently holds that title at 7 years, 56.7 mil. Mankins gets 7 years at 57 mil.

David Harris will get a deal that exceeds Dansby’s. 5 yrs 45 mil.

The top FA TEs will likely get 6 mil a season plus, but a guy like Z Miller or K Boss is more likely to get 5 yrs, 28 mil.

Michael Bush is a quality RB I would like to see brought in. LT and Thomas Jones signed 2 year, 5 mil deals. Benson just signed a 2 year 7 Mil deal. I think Bush could be had for 4 yrs, 14 Mil (FJ as a restricted FA signed a 4 year 7.5 mil deal)

If you assume all these players max out their contracts (very unlikely) and average all those contracts out per year it is 37.15 mil per season which sounds like a crap ton. But if you figure those players could start at 7 of 22 positions, and that the 2009 salary cap was 128 mil, then its not too much really. 7/22 = 31.8% of the starters while 37.15/128 = 29% of the cap.

When we have no real talent of our own to sign to big time deals and most of our real players are on 500k or less contracts. Considering Maybin, Whitener, and McCargo should be gone soon, and we could cut Kelsay, that frees up a lot of cash. We could realistically sign all of those players this offseason and be fine in terms of the cap * if there is one.