If Anyone Was Wondering Why We Refer to the "Liberal Media"

The headline reads: New Congress's not-so-obvious agenda

And the Excerpt:

The GOP may have its eyes on something other than the day-to-day life of most Americans. Two-year target

http://news.yahoo.co...ongress_returns

I don't recall any such headlines or analysis after the 2006 elections.

Your link is bad or the AP article got changed.

The headline reads: New Congress's not-so-obvious agenda

And the Excerpt:

The GOP may have its eyes on something other than the day-to-day life of most Americans. Two-year target

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110102/ap_on_re_us/us_congress_returns

I don't recall any such headlines or analysis after the 2006 elections.

I think they changed it. I see

GOP agenda: Major impact may be on 2012 election

The link still works for me. It was on the front page of yahoo today.

Damn Liberal Media as soon as they sensed that Rob had linked to their probably bias Head-line they changed it to make him look crazy paranoid- Damn Liberal Media

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Sorry guys, I was busy yesterday and missed what you were saying about the headline. The headline and excerpt I mentioned in the opening post weren't part of the original article, it was the headline Yahoo ran that linked to the article.

So Yahoo is part of the Liberal Media, but not the AP?

So Yahoo is part of the Liberal Media, but not the AP?

They're both part of it. AP inked the article, which is about as insightful and grounbreaking as informing us that snow is cold, and Yahoo both linked it and added that politically charged Headline and excerpt.

They're both part of it. AP inked the article, which is about as insightful and grounbreaking as informing us that snow is cold, and Yahoo both linked it and added that politically charged Headline and excerpt.

In defense of the AP, while the article may not be groundbreaking, I don't see a major political bias. Are all fluffy articles part of the Liberal Media agenda?

Yahoo just forwards AP's content stream. They don't write their own headlines.

Edited by DC Tom

Yahoo just forwards AP's content stream. They don't write their own headlines.

Perhaps "headline" is the wrong term. When you pull up Yahoo's home screen there is a picture in the middle of the screen and stories that run along the bottom in groups of 4. These stories have a picture and a brief description and a headline, and link to a full story. The headline on the actual story isn't necessarily identical to the one on the Yahoo home page. I was under the impression that those were added by Yahoo, but I suppose it's possible AP could provide that content as well.

In defense of the AP, while the article may not be groundbreaking, I don't see a major political bias. Are all fluffy articles part of the Liberal Media agenda?

It's not that there is anything inherrently wrong with the article itself, other than the fact that it was written in the first place. It's the selective disclosure we were talking about before. The point of the story is that the members of Congress might let politics affect their decisions, which is about like reporting that the sun might well rise tomorrow.

The reason it's biased is because they're presenting it as though it is somehow unique to this Congress (which implies it's a break from the behavior of the previous congress) and because they didn't run these stories when the Dems took control in 2006.

Perhaps "headline" is the wrong term. When you pull up Yahoo's home screen there is a picture in the middle of the screen and stories that run along the bottom in groups of 4. These stories have a picture and a brief description and a headline, and link to a full story. The headline on the actual story isn't necessarily identical to the one on the Yahoo home page. I was under the impression that those were added by Yahoo, but I suppose it's possible AP could provide that content as well.

Yeah, I checked there too. It was on Yahoo, but the headline link was similar to the article. I am not doubting you though. I have seen headlines change. Heck, there are typo and grammar changes on a regular basis.

I don't know what you guys read but I thought that article was completely fair.

Everything about it was about Republican oversight of government agencies. Maybe I'm retarded, which is entirely possible, but I fail to see any bias one way or another in this.

"Republicans need to make sure they bring forward solutions, even though it may be difficult to get them accomplished," Rep.-elect Kristi Noem, R-S.D., said in an interview. She said the lesson from the November election is, "The American people will replace people if they're no longer in touch or listening."

Noem benefited from that view, defeating Democratic Rep. Stephanie Herseth Sandlin. Noem has risen to the forefront of the freshman class; she was chosen to serve in the GOP leadership.

In the Senate, there's a chance the Democrats will replace Republicans as the party of "no," assuming the House GOP passes much of its agenda. Democrats will control the Senate 51-47 with two independents, and only need 41 votes to block initiatives that arrive from the House."

Ok? Whats the problem with that?

"Among the reasons that the Republican agenda will likely have a bigger impact on the next election than on the day-to-day lives of most Americans are:

_Much of the government spending has been politically untouchable. About 60 percent goes for entitlement programs, including Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. The nation also is paying for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and major reconstruction projects in those countries. Both parties have considered it politically foolish to mess with Medicare and Social Security. Also, Republicans don't have a clean record as budget cutters.

"Spending restraint on the Republican side is a theory yet to be proven," said Robert Bixby, executive director of the budget-watching Concord Coalition. He noted that Democratic President Bill Clinton's budget surplus turned into deficit under Republican George W. Bush.

_Obama may be more willing to compromise with Republicans than in his first two years, but he will fight repealing the health care law. Senate Democrats will almost certainly stop major revisions. If for some reason they don't, Obama will use his veto to stop them.

_Republican attempts to overturn regulations on issues such as global warming also could falter in the Senate. When the EPA announced just before Christmas that it planned to set greenhouse gas emissions standards for power plants and oil refineries, Upton said, "We will not allow the administration to regulate what they have been unable to legislate." Senate Democrats may have a different view."

Yeah, that makes sense too.

Someone needs to use examples and demonstrate to us lesser folks how this actually has a liberal slant to it.