10 Players you'd be happy with the Bills drafting

DrDawkinstein

I wholeheartedly agree that having to carry the load for BC had more to do with his passing yards. Which is why he did carry the load, get those passing yards, and help his team achieve a #2 ranking--a "carrying" (for lack of better phrase at the moment) Luck has neither been asked to do nor demonstrated he can do.

Ryan had to, he did, and he's made for a damn fine NFL quarterback. I just don't see these super star qualities/responsibilities in Luck that would justify all the hype. I don't.

EDIT: I was well aware of how vehemently The Senator championed Harrell. And while he's one of the posters I enjoy most on this site, I take his often satirical sounding "opinion" with a grain of salt.

Honestly, from what I have seen of them in college, Luck looks more ready to me than Ryan did when he came out. Ryan was spectacular, no doubt. He also made some very iffy decisions. In his defense, he was usually trying to win a game and had little help.

I'm not sure I have seen Luck make a bad decision. I've seen him make a bad throw, but I don't see the desperate attempts I saw from Ryan while he was in college. Luck might benefit from another year in college, though if there is a season he'd be nuts to stay, IMO. He has been coached by one of the best and looks to be soaking up the knowledge. I can't say Luck will be a better NFL QB than Ryan, but I think he is less risky as a draft pick.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: And The Senator <--(no offense my friend). I agree in part with what you are saying about the ranking aspect, Ryan did carry the 2007 BC squad. I remember the furious comeback he led against the #8 Virginia Tech Hokies, leading his team to two TD's within 2 minutes. The last was a throw across his body to the opposite corner of the endzone for the winning score with :11 seconds to go. But about the numbers, what I am saying is that Stanford doesn't need Luck to do that because he has a decent supporting cast. If he did throw as much as Ryan did that year (like 650 attempts) he would put up those numbers as well.

So if we acknowledge that part of Luck's success is due to his supporting cast, on what planet would he do well in Buffalo next year!?

This has been my hangup with him all along. Yes, he's a very good quarterback, but I just don't see him as the build-for-the-future game changer that the hype machine has him out to be, and that a top 5 pick would warrant.

This is also why I'm so perplexed by Newton. He IS a one-man game changer, but he's also a one year wonder, but he's also a one year wonder en route to a national championship, but he's also a head case, but he also has swagger...yadda yadda yadda.

What does it all boil down to? NO QB WITH THE OUR FIRST PICK...PLEASE!

Honestly, from what I have seen of them in college, Luck looks more ready to me than Ryan did when he came out. Ryan was spectacular, no doubt. He also made some very iffy decisions. In his defense, he was usually trying to win a game and had little help.

I'm not sure I have seen Luck make a bad decision. I've seen him make a bad throw, but I don't see the desperate attempts I saw from Ryan while he was in college. Luck might benefit from another year in college, though if there is a season he'd be nuts to stay, IMO. He has been coached by one of the best and looks to be soaking up the knowledge. I can't say Luck will be a better NFL QB than Ryan, but I think he is less risky as a draft pick.

Sounds to me like you're describing a game manager and not a game winner...?

I consider Fitz the latter, with some mechanical/physical hurdles to overcome (each of them surmountable).

My question to you is: what does Buffalo need from its QB in 2011? A manager? Or a winner? Given the still-shaky foundation our squad will have, I say we need a winner. I like the idea of Luck waiting a year behind Fitz, but not as much as I DON'T like the idea of having to wait until later rounds to start grabbing players for positions where we need the so-called supporting cast.

This is also why I'm so perplexed by Newton. He IS a one-man game changer, but he's also a one year wonder, but he's also a one year wonder en route to a national championship, but he's also a head case, but he also has swagger...yadda yadda yadda.

I have seen no evidence of that, really. You might assume he has issues, based on a few incidents in his past, but I have yet to hear a coach speak ill of him. He seems like a very together young man in interviews, that's for sure.

I do agree there should be concern because he is a one-year wonder.

And while I think the Bills need to repair other positions, I wouldn't be pissed if they took a top-level QB early in the draft. Probably not what I would do, but there are different valid approaches. If I was in charge and Newton or Mallett were available, I would be tempted.

Sounds to me like you're describing a game manager and not a game winner...?

I'm describing Joe Montana and Tom Brady, actually. Comparing Luck with Fitz only goes so far. They are both smart and confident. But Luck can throw the ball extremely well. He has no accuracy issues. If he were simply thought of as a "game manager" would be be considered the #1 QB available by nearly every draft expert?

Dean's right. If the Bills were staring at Luck or Newton (who is the seediest college player we know of off the field) they would be foolish not to take them. I think they have low bust potential.

If it made sense to squander a pick on another RB last year, when we had many needs, why does it make sense to pass on a guy who may take a year to develop as a top QB?

Ok so! Players to keep an eye on over the next months, in no order but organized by position:

1. Andrew Luck - QB

2. Cam Newton - QB

3. Ryan Mallett - QB

4. Nick Fairley - DL

5. Marcell Dareus - DL

6. Stephen Paea - DL

7. Robert Quinn - DL/OLB

8. Da'Quan Bowers - OLB

9. Adrian Clayborn - LB

10. Von Miller - LB

11. Gabe Carimi - OT

12. Anthony Castonzo - OT

13. DeMarcus Love - OT

14. Derek Sherrod - OT

15. Nate Solder - OT

It's a guarantee that some, if not most, of these players will be there when we pick. Even better, it's probable that a couple will be there when we pick in the 2nd round too. Im thinking the OTs slide in this draft like QBs have recently.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Matty played in 40 college games, and Luck will have 25 to his name.

Matty had a 4500 yd season, Luck just barely topped 3000.

Matty had his team ranked #2, Stanford never got higher than #5

Andrew Luck is NOT Matty Ryan.

Big Cat, Matt Ryan was only a full-time starter for 2 years (just like Luck) so I was surprised when you said he had played in 40 some odd games. So I checked and ESPN.com has him at 31 games playing in getting 6 in his Soph year and 2 in his frosh year. Luck will have only played 21 when this year is done. Ryan seems to have played an extra years worth of games and spent another year playing college ball than Luck if he comes out early – but that’s essentially what every player who declares early does.

That said, I still see Luck the same way I saw Ryan. Their teams, minus them, would have ZERO business being ranked – let alone in the top 5 - without them. The Pac-10 has better competition than the Big East.

Physically, mentally, they both have exactly what you look for – and Luck has a strong arm too.

No one was a bigger advocate of Matt Ryan when he came out and no one is a bigger advocate of Luck than me. You have your opinion but I think Luck is the real deal. I am not and was never affected by the hype because quite honestly, I AM the hype – having touted Luck since Nov of 2009. I hope he stays in school now bc we wont have a chance to draft him and he is the Bills (and everyone elses) best chance to get that Manning/Brady/Rogers/RYAN type guy.

I have seen no evidence of that, really. You might assume he has issues, based on a few incidents in his past, but I have yet to hear a coach speak ill of him. He seems like a very together young man in interviews, that's for sure.

I do agree there should be concern because he is a one-year wonder.

And while I think the Bills need to repair other positions, I wouldn't be pissed if they took a top-level QB early in the draft. Probably not what I would do, but there are different valid approaches. If I was in charge and Newton or Mallett were available, I would be tempted.

I'm describing Joe Montana and Tom Brady, actually. Comparing Luck with Fitz only goes so far. They are both smart and confident. But Luck can throw the ball extremely well. He has no accuracy issues. If he were simply thought of as a "game manager" would be be considered the #1 QB available by nearly every draft expert?

I think that Newton is really relishing the role of BMOC, to no fault of his own, but it's a spirited and animated relishing, a high so far to the extreme that I don't trust he'll handle the inevitable swing to the opposite pole in his rookie NFL season. I admit it's a gut feeling more than anything else, and not to discredit your own intuition about the guy, but being as how I am close in age to Newton, I feel like my spidey sense gets a bit more tingly when it comes to these matters. And that's about as unsubstantiated an opinion as you'll ever get from me!!

I also think that the term "draft expert" is an oxymoron and that Luck isn't ready to succeed in Buffalo in 2011. If he's truly the sponge to Harbaugh's watery knowledge, then a year under Fitz will go along way to help his development. I could care less about his accuracy, I've never seen him thread the needle or let his receiver make plays. That's how Fitz makes his living. Decision making in the NFL entails making questionable ones at times.

I think that Newton is really relishing the role of BMOC, to no fault of his own, but it's a spirited and animated relishing, a high so far to the extreme that I don't trust he'll handle the inevitable swing to the opposite pole in his rookie NFL season. I admit it's a gut feeling more than anything else, and not to discredit your own intuition about the guy, but being as how I am close in age to Newton, I feel like my spidey sense gets a bit more tingly when it comes to these matters. And that's about as unsubstantiated an opinion as you'll ever get from me!!

I also think that the term "draft expert" is an oxymoron and that Luck isn't ready to succeed in Buffalo in 2011. If he's truly the sponge to Harbaugh's watery knowledge, then a year under Fitz will go along way to help his development. I could care less about his accuracy, I've never seen him thread the needle or let his receiver make plays. That's how Fitz makes his living. Decision making in the NFL entails making questionable ones at times.

Then you just havent watched him enough then. He does it with great frequency. His receiver don’t always make the play though (many times they do) but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t made the throw.

Then you just havent watched him enough then. He does it with great frequency. His receiver don’t always make the play though (many times they do) but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t made the throw.

Indeed. Luck isn't timid about throwing the ball. Just because he plays at Stanford, doesn't mean he will be like Trentative.

It's guaranteed the Bills will have a top 10 spot in the coming draft. I've seen mocks and posts that mention a number of different players at different positions for our first pick.

I'm compiling a list of players that I would be happy with the Bills drafting. Understanding that some wont fall to us, but at least a few have to. I know that between now, the combine, and the draft, there will be players that fall out of the first round and others that move up. So this list is far from perfect, nor is it permanent.

I've 8 choices down so far. Any input on the last 2 spots, or better yet your own Top 10 list, would be appreciated.

In no particular order:

1. Andrew Luck

2. Cam Newton

3. Ryan Mallett

4. Nick Fairley

5. Da'Quan Bowers

6. Gabe Carimi

7. Marcell Dareus

8. Anthony Castonzo

11. Bonus spot if the team was already stacked: AJ Green. I think he will be the next Moss, and be able to make game-changing plays on a regular basis. Luxury pick given our needs up front, but we'd be wise not to put anything past this organization.

Edit: Free Agency and any Trade Downs are not part of this discussion.

If Luck actually was there I assume Gailey would take him.

Assuming he isn't going to be you have to take the next best impact player for the team and that is a beast DT/DE that can stop the run and pressure opposing QBs

Round 1 Any of these will do:

Nick Fairley

Marcell Dareus

DaQuan Bowers

Round 2 Best Linebacker on their draft board that can come up in run defense and yet cover a TE.

Akeem Ayers

Bruce Carter

Von Miller is a beast rushing the passer, but with Moats and Carrington I figured we needed someone who can come up in run support yet skate with opposing TE's when needed.

Round 3 True Strong Safety. If Mark Barron drops due to his injury and declares he is more in the mold of a SS that puts fear into the hearts of opponents, a ferocious hitter that creates turnovers - something I don't think we get with Whitner. He may not be that great in coverage, but neither was Donte.

The rest of the rounds we need to get an impact TE, a mauler at RT, and you can't get enough Defensive Backs.

Round things out with a Guard/Tackle for depth.

Round 4a TE or CB

Round 4b CB or TE

Round 5 RT

Round 6 G

Round 7 Tom Brady

If Luck actually was there I assume Gailey would take him.

Assuming he isn't going to be you have to take the next best impact player for the team and that is a beast DT/DE that can stop the run and pressure opposing QBs

Round 1 Any of these will do:

Nick Fairley

Marcell Dareus

DaQuan Bowers

Round 2 Best Linebacker on their draft board that can come up in run defense and yet cover a TE.

Akeem Ayers

Bruce Carter

Von Miller is a beast rushing the passer, but with Moats and Carrington I figured we needed someone who can come up in run support yet skate with opposing TE's when needed.

Round 3 True Strong Safety. If Mark Barron drops due to his injury and declares he is more in the mold of a SS that puts fear into the hearts of opponents, a ferocious hitter that creates turnovers - something I don't think we get with Whitner. He may not be that great in coverage, but neither was Donte.

The rest of the rounds we need to get an impact TE, a mauler at RT, and you can't get enough Defensive Backs.

Round things out with a Guard/Tackle for depth.

Round 4a TE or CB

Round 4b CB or TE

Round 5 RT

Round 6 G

Round 7 Tom Brady

If it was up to me Id draft Brady ahead of more interior line help. But I can't argue with a lot of the rest.

If it was up to me Id draft Brady ahead of more interior line help. But I can't argue with a lot of the rest.

I was wondering if anyone would notice my weighing in on the almost ridiculous odds of actually landing a franchise QB on purpose... the skill has to be there, the desire to improve, and they have to be put in a system where they are groomed for success and they have to stay healthy. Each year it is usually just 1 or 2 that pan out, some years none do.

Flashback - The 2000 Draft pundits weigh in on the QB draft class....before that now legendary 199th pick in the 6th round.

"Not a great QB crop this year, only Pennington and Redman deserve first round consideration. Redman started the year ahead of Pennington, but Pennington's solid play as well as the Thundering Herd's good season has him atop most team's draft boards at QB. Neither one of these guys are going to be penciled in as the immediate starter for their respective teams this year. Drew Brees would have been the #1 QB had he chosen to leave school early this year."

Ultimate Football Guide:

NFL Draft Scout listed these QB prospects ahead of that kid at Michigan

1. Chad Pennington

2. Chris Redmond

3. Marc Bulger

4. Tee Martin

5. Giovanni Carmazzi

6. Todd Husak

7. Doug Johnson

8. Jarious Jackson

9. * Tom Brady

I also found this gem regarding the NE draft...

"For a team riddled with drafting problems, this draft wasn't all lost. Klemm was a real find at no. 46. He is a natural left tackle, and

should start in 2000. Redmond hasn't proven to be the wisest kid around, but he definitely has nice moves. The Patriots are hoping

he can solve their running troubles. Stachelski has good strength, is a decent blocker, and his hand will get better over time. Tom

Brady is a big tall quarterback that can make all the intermediate throws, but will need to work on his long ball. Patrick Pass can be

an exciting return man ... and with the recent success of Terrell Davis, Robert Edwards, and Orlandis Gary, it doesn't hurt to take

a back from Georgia!

overall grade: C+"

C+ and that kid has to work on his long ball - too funny.

I just love 20/20 hindsight. :rolleyes:

In retrospect 2000 was not a bad crop of QBs at all if you consider that Pennington, Bulger, and Brady came out of it. I am convinced that Pennington's career was cut short by the injured shoulder that never was the same after surgery. Bulger had a fairly long and successful career, but neither of them got the kind of protection that NE has always kept around Brady - they got the crap beat out of them. Just a side note - the Bills selected Erik Flowers with their number 1 that year - ugh.

Find a way to protect our QB the way NE protects theirs, put him in position with makeable pass options and who knows what Fitz's, Brown, or Brohm's upside might be. Most of all we have to be more patient - and that is asking a lot from us considering the crappy football we have been dealt over more than a decade. Chan has to show that our crop of QBs or a new QB wont freakin suffer meltdowns in big games. We need a cool cat that doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but the game plans should not put our QB into a lot of bad situations running for his life either. We have to demand more of our offensive line than they have given over the years if we are ever going to compete with the likes of NE twice a year.