A Cuban Christmas

The Dean

I client-friend of mine, Charles, laid a box (25 sticks) of Cuban Bolivar Coronas Gigantes on me, yesterday. For those who look dark, full-bodied cigars, these are simply fabulous. I am certain they are legit, or as certain as I can be w/o actually buying them myself from the factory in Cuba.

I smoked one yesterday, and it was delicious. It also whacked me pretty good. I am going to smoke another one, with a bourbon, in a few minutes. I also gave a couple away. The rest will go into the humidor for a while, as they could use some aging and will be better when they even out a bit.

While I like some Cuban cigars, I'm not a guy who thinks cigars have to be Cuban to be good. In fact, I think Padron makes some of the world's finest cigars in Nicaragua. But Bolivars are among the best cigars from Cuba, or anywhere. I'll take a Bolivar over a Cohiba any day.

Here's what they look like in the box:

http://www.cubancigaronline.com/images/Bolivar_Coronas_Gigantes_lg.jpg

He also gave me a couple of Vegas Robaina pyramids. This is a lesser known Cuban brand, but it represents real quality. Not quite as full as the Bolivar, they still have tons of flavor. They are named after Alejandro Robaina, a Cuban tobacco grower who died this past March. I have pictures of Charles and the owner of my cigar store with Mr. Robaina on the latter's porch at his Cuban farm.

The Dean is in pretty good shape, cigar wise, for the near future, I'd say.

I love cigars but hate the "hair mouth" the day after. If there was some way to prevent this I would probably smoke a cigar every day.

I know the hair mouth very well. Fortunately, like hangovers, I rarely experience this anymore. The exceptions would be when I smoke several cigars in a day and/or smoke a heavy cigar right before I go to bed.

I recommend drinking plenty of water after smoking a cigar. Brushing your teeth afterward, and gargling with a mouthwash, peroxide or Alkalol helps, too.

Edited by The Dean

I know the hair mouth very well. Fortunately, like hangovers, I rarely experience this anymore. The exceptions would be when I smoke several cigars in a day and/or smoke a heavy cigar right before I go to b

I recommend drinking plenty of water after smoking a cigar. Brushing your teeth afterward, and gargling with a mouthwash, peroxide or Alkalol helps, too.

I hear what you are saying but it just seems no matter how many times you brush or mouthwash there still seems to be that nasty taste the day after. With that said there is nothing like sitting outside on a brisk evening enjoying a bourbon and a good cigar .... or a scotch and a good cigar ... you just have to love it.

Since I've already started this LAMP thread, and discussed my plan to go outside and enjoy a drink (or several) and a cigar.

Well, it was a lovely time. What some random event made it even more lovely.

I live on the first floor of a condo complex and I smoke cigars on the screened-in patio. Apparently a group of friends rented a condo (or more) on the far side of my unit (I said "unit" hehe hehe). The quickest path from the cars to their unit was across the grass, past my patio. We exchanged "hellos" and "Merry Christmas" and such as they passed. On one pass a very attractive young thing (25?) said "Hello" as she walked toward the car. A few minutes later, as she was walking back, she launched into a twisting cartwheel/somersault thing. As she landed, she turned to me, laughed and scampered off.

No big deal. Yet very nice, nonetheless.

i am not a cigar fan at all, but I would like to be able to try what someone would consider a top notch cigar to see what the fuss is all about. I am the same way with scotch...not a fan of the brown liquors at all, but want to see if a really good one tastes any better to me.....

knowing how big of a cigar fan you are, Dean, that sounds like an awesome gift! :thumbsup:

i am not a cigar fan at all, but I would like to be able to try what someone would consider a top notch cigar to see what the fuss is all about. I am the same way with scotch...not a fan of the brown liquors at all, but want to see if a really good one tastes any better to me.....

knowing how big of a cigar fan you are, Dean, that sounds like an awesome gift! :thumbsup:

My advice for novices is to try a good, but somewhat milder, cigar. The stronger cigars often can make newbies (and even experienced smokers) pretty sick.

I'm not a Scotch drinker either. But I can appreciate a very good single malt, like Lagavulin for example. Tequila is another booze where I can really only tolerate something on the higher-end of the quality scale.