Moving to VA Beach - Need help with areas to live in

stevestojan

I will be moving again for work and going to Virgina Beach, VA.

I will be looking for an apartment as I once again don't know how long I'll be there (I've been in Tucson, AZ for just over 15 months).

That said, I am going to have VERY limited time to find a place, so I am looking for advice on what areas to AVOID and what areas are nicer. I've heard that Green Run is an area I want to avoid at all costs.

Any other Tips?

The reason I ask is I will likely be lining up apartments and visiting 2 or 3 while on a 2 day trip prior to moving out there.

Any help is appreciated.

I will be looking for an apartment as I once again don't know how long I'll be there (I've been in Tucson, AZ for just over 15 months).

That said, I am going to have VERY limited time to find a place, so I am looking for advice on what areas to AVOID and what areas are nicer. I've heard that Green Run is an area I want to avoid at all costs.

Any other Tips?

The reason I ask is I will likely be lining up apartments and visiting 2 or 3 while on a 2 day trip prior to moving out there.

Any help is appreciated.

Get a place as close to your job as possible. Traffic is hell down there.

Any other Tips?

Any help is appreciated.

Will you have kids in the school system?

What area of VB is your workplace?

What kind of money are you looking to spend

There are also plenty of people renting good sized HOUSES in nice areas

How long are you going to be living there?

Will you have kids in the school system?

What area of VB is your workplace?

What kind of money are you looking to spend

There are also plenty of people renting good sized HOUSES in nice areas

How long are you going to be living there?

No Kids.

My workplace is 1345 Perimeter Parkway, Virginia Beach, VA 23454

I will not be buying as I have no idea how long I'll be there (at least 2 years, but not 5)

No Kids.

My workplace is 1345 Perimeter Parkway, Virginia Beach, VA 23454

I will not be buying as I have no idea how long I'll be there (at least 2 years, but not 5)

The area near where you work should be OK. You are correct to stay away from "Gang Run". The area does not look bad, but it is full of Section 8 housing. If you want to pay extra and be around the beautiful people, check the Town Center. Also stay away from the area that borders the Norfolk city line.

By the way, I am happy with Nationwide, so don;t even try

The area near where you work should be OK. You are correct to stay away from "Gang Run". The area does not look bad, but it is full of Section 8 housing. If you want to pay extra and be around the beautiful people, check the Town Center. Also stay away from the area that borders the Norfolk city line.

By the way, I am happy with Nationwide, so don;t even try

I've been searching apartmentreviews.com just to find a place that has decent reviews. But to be honest, an apartment is an apartment. I've lived in many, and the apartment itself isnt as important as the area and its safety. Don't get me wrong, I'm reading the reviews and they are important, but I don't need stainless steel appliances. Town Center is out of my price range. I'm looking to spend $1000/month or less, but not much less cause I don't want the ghetto.

Also, I need a dog friendly apt, which is important.

Can you google map this address and let me know what ya know of the area?

1020 Thousand Oaks Dr Virginia Beach, VA 23454

Edited by stevestojan

I've been searching apartmentreviews.com just to find a place that has decent reviews. But to be honest, an apartment is an apartment. I've lived in many, and the apartment itself isnt as important as the area and its safety. Don't get me wrong, I'm reading the reviews and they are important, but I don't need stainless steel appliances. Town Center is out of my price range. I'm looking to spend $1000/month or less, but not much less cause I don't want the ghetto.

Also, I need a dog friendly apt, which is important.

You might find this interesting:

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Hilltop-Shopping-Area-Virginia-Beach-VA.html

Sorry. Linked the wrong zip:

http://www.city-data.com/zips/23454.html

Edited by The Dean

That's not a bad area. So is the area around the Lizard Lounge you're working at.

Make sure you take a ride and walk around the area before signing the lease. You can be in a decent area, turn the corner and it'll go downhill fast.

Get a place as close to your job as possible. Traffic is hell down there.

+1. Find a place in eastern VB. 264 and the Boulevard are a b*tch during rush hour

So are you moving for the job, or because you want to be fan of the UFL's newest franchise, The Virginia Destroyers? :P

Edited by /dev/null

Your work location is right next to NAS Oceana which means jet noise big time. Going to that address is really easy from almost any VB location. A very good cenralized location is the Kempsville area. From there it's 20 mins to the oceanfront, the airport & downtown Norfolk. Any other questions feel free to PM me.

And as DEV already mentioned you're arriving just in time for the Virginia Destroyers! :thumbsup:

If I recall, you are still a young guy yes? Wh not look for something on the water??/ Yes it will be smaller, but if you are single with no kids...great to be next to the water in the North End. Might be the last time you get to live next to the ocean. my Mother in Law lives on 49th, let me ping her and see if any of her friends are renting out place on either side of Atlantic