2011 DRAFT

Fitzmagic

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want in the 2011 Draft?

• QB Cam Newton
    • DE Da'Quan Bowers (6'4, 275)
    • OLB Ryan Kerrigan (6'4, 263)
    • Other

I think LB is our biggest need. There is absolutely no true OLB with 1st round potential in the draft which is why I took Kerrigan (He's a DE at Purdue). Although my opinion will probably change come draft time.

Edited by Fitzmagic

I think LB is our biggest need. There is absolutely no true OLB with 1st round potential in the draft which is why I took Kerrigan (He's a DE at Purdue). Although my opinion will probably change come draft time.

Robert Quinn, Von Miller, Akeem Ayers, Jeremy Beal, Travis Lewis, Bruce Carter, and Greg Jones are all players with 1st or 2nd round grades currently who are likely to play OLB in either a 3-4 or 4-3. Also, I haven't seen Kerrigan listed as a guy who has OLB potential in the NFL, more strictly a 4-3 DE (being compared to Chris Long).

The team has really come a long way since the break. I tend to agree that at this point we probably need a stud linebacker or defensive lineman as pick one. I suspect an offensive tackle as the second pick and I'm going to keep pushing for my tennessee homeboy Luke Stocker the tight end as a third rounder. The last one I pushed for as a second or third rounder was a Tennessee boy, Jason Whitten..and he's done okay.

Fitz, how many times have you seen Von play? If you have there is no way you can call him Maybin 2.0

I think it's his size (6'3" 240) that forces Bills fans to draw comparisons to Aaron Maybin (cue mental image of him being tossed to the turf like a rag doll). Also, one of the criticisms of Von (like Maybin) is that he relies too heavily on his speed rush, and while that was successful in college, he would need to become more well-rounded to be as successful in the NFL. I, personally, would rather add linebackers who possess both size and quickness to this defense (i.e., Bowers, Quinn).

Robert Quinn, Von Miller, Akeem Ayers, Jeremy Beal, Travis Lewis, Bruce Carter, and Greg Jones are all players with 1st or 2nd round grades currently who are likely to play OLB in either a 3-4 or 4-3.

how about Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia in 2nd round?

He already made the 4-3 to 3-4 transition in GA

thoughts?

Von already plays OLB in a 3/4 type scheme at A&M, is the best in coverage out of any LB you will find and you can see it some in the highlights and if you want to see if he can hold up go find some clips of the Oklahoma or Oklahoma State games last year against Williams and Okung....he more than handles it. Don't let the measurables fool you. All of Pittburgh's LB's were about the same size when they came out of college. Maybin it looks like is the exception to the rule. The one year wonder that didn't belong.

Von already plays OLB in a 3/4 type scheme at A&M, is the best in coverage out of any LB you will find and you can see it some in the highlights and if you want to see if he can hold up go find some clips of the Oklahoma or Oklahoma State games last year against Williams and Okung....he more than handles it. Don't let the measurables fool you. All of Pittburgh's LB's were about the same size when they came out of college. Maybin it looks like is the exception to the rule. The one year wonder that didn't belong.

IMO...he would struggle against the run in the NFL. We certainly don't need another situational pass rusher on this team.

Johnny if you haven't seen him play the run how do you know he can't do it? You'll have to watch the Cotton Bowl against LSU and you can see him against Barksdale, who is huge.

WSS - I'm with you there is no comparison between the two

You're assuming that I haven't seen him play, which is wrong. I agree that it is unfair to judge Von Miller based on our experience with Aaron Maybin. Von Miller is clearly a very different player. Besides their almost identical size, they share very little in common.

My argument is that, allegedly, the Bills are trying to become more stout against the run. IMO...we would not be making that improvement by drafting a 240 pound OLB. NFL team are accustomed to the 3-4 defense, and have come up with creative ways to defend against the rush OLB. While he looks to be a good player, I'm afraid that his college game would not necessarily translate as well to the pro's. JMO