Looking ahead

NoSaint

I feel guilty saying it but I've quietly been picking up pats players for fantasy football. With the finals this week Brady, bge, and Hernandez all should have good weeks I think. I just don't see how our D matches up yet. I figure best case I lose my league, but we finally beat Tom and Billy boy, worst case it's more of the same....

I am in my championship game this weekend (unless A. Peterson rushes for 200 yards and about 3 TDs) and I BGE and Hernandez. If Jos. Addai returns for Colts i can bench BGE, but they have both done very well for me especially last night.

I would rather have a Bills victory and get no points.

"You can't sit back in cover 2 cover 3...", starts at 2:20...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/13/rodney-harrison-breaks-down-how-to-defend-the-patriots/

Yes, I'd rather have that small fry try to beat us than Brady.

Yep, saw it and as I posted you were correct.

and I agree, Id rather have the Pats RBs be forced to beat us, then allow Brady to beat us.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Tight Ends are our Kriptonite.....and they have several good ones

This game will probably not be close. I am interested to see our our offense does against their defense.

My game plan?

- Long time consuming drives with lots of run to keep Marsha and his band off the field

- On defense try to force field goals

- A special teams play here and there would be nice

My initial reaction to this thread was to check the point spread.

The Patsies* are 8 point favorites. The over/under is 44.5 points.

Our offense versus their defense:

Our offense adjusted for only the games Fitz has started is about 17th in yardage and 17th in scoring. The New England defense was at the bottom of the league in the early quarter of the season but has gotten up to 28th in yardage and 17th in points. It could be argued that their defense is improving although Green Bay moved the ball pretty well against them.

The Bills should be able to score at least 20 points on them but we'll need to score more than that in order to win.

Our defense versus their offense:

New England's offense is 1st in scoring and 9th in yardage. Our defense is 23rd in yardage and 25th in points, although we've been improving steadily over the course of the season. Still, this is the mismatch. A few times versus Green Bay, the Patsies* were able to go no huddle to keep certain defensive packages on the field and exploit them. They can actually spread the field with their two tight ends and either throw or go to a smash mouth running approach. Their O-line is excellent, Benjarvus Green-Ellis is a very physical runner, and Danny Woodhead is very effective for them. Our run defense, while improving, is still a weakness. Also with our vulnerability to the tight end, this is not a good matchup. I'm also haunted by visions of Reggie Corner trying to cover Wes Welker. Welker is better than Jordan Shipley

Conclusion:

The Bills will need to play their best game of the season on offense, defense and special teams. In addition, they will need the crowd to be extremely loud to create a significant home field advantage. They probably cannot lose the turnover battle or the penalty battle. In other words, the Bills will need to have everything going their way in order to win this game.

I am the eternal Bills homer and optimist but I'm not seeing a way in which we can win this game. Obviously we will have to outscore them and that will not be easy to do. Seeing as I always pick the Bills anyways, I'll say Bills 31 Patsies* 27. That's what my heart says. My head says Patsies 31 Bills 24.

Long drives and frequent blitzes are our best shot. From the get go I would wait until at least 3 seconds left on the play clock to snap the ball on every play just so we are keeping the ball as long as possible. Obviously, if we get behind, we'll have to bail on that but at least start out that way. On D, bring it, try to at least hit Brady as much as possible. Yes, of course Brady could easily beat the blitz but I really believe that gives us a better chance than sitting back and playing safe.