(OT) Phillip Seymour Hoffman

ajzepp

I know that there are a lot of you who are huge movie fans, like myself, so I was wondering if anyone else was a big fan of this guy. I was running through the cable listings tonight and noticed that one of my favorite movies of all time - Love Liza - was on a bit later. It's a very difficult movie to watch, but wow.....what an amazingly penetrating and 'real' performance this guy gave. I usually get a kick out of his supporting and cameo gigs, but this is totally different. But aside from this one, the guy was just great in films like Cold Mountain, Patch Adams, Boogie Nights, etc. He's a very versatile, smart actor.

He's also got the Western New York connection. He's from Rochester.

156394[/snapback]

You're kidding? I had no idea......thanks for the info......that's pretty cool!

Yep, born in Fairport, a suburb of Rochester if you're not familiar with it.

156404[/snapback]

Yep, I spent about ten years in Mendon, NY (Honeoye Falls-Lima HS).....not far from Fairport.....in fact, my parents had a little automotive art and appraisal shop on Main St. in Fairport for a few years......Pretty cool that he has those roots. I'm also glad to see him showing up in more movies. His part in Cold Mountain was brief, but as usual he stole the show......but Love Liza, to me, was just an amazing film. It took me a little while to recover from it after I watched it for the first time. It's funny, cause if you showed anyone the very last scene in the movie, they may think it was a comedy......but when you see it after watching the rest of the movie, it becomes very memorable image. Some people will get it, some won't. But the acting, dialogue, and story are just amazing, in my opinion.

Yep, I spent about ten years in Mendon, NY (Honeoye Falls-Lima HS).....not far from Fairport.....in fact, my parents had a little automotive art and appraisal shop on Main St. in Fairport for a few years......Pretty cool that he has those roots. I'm also glad to see him showing up in more movies. His part in Cold Mountain was brief, but as usual he stole the show......but Love Liza, to me, was just an amazing film. It took me a little while to recover from it after I watched it for the first time. It's funny, cause if you showed anyone the very last scene in the movie, they may think it was a comedy......but when you see it after watching the rest of the movie, it becomes very memorable image. Some people will get it, some won't. But the acting, dialogue, and story are just amazing, in my opinion.

156407[/snapback]

That's cool. I'm from Webster myself so I love the area.

I know that there are a lot of you who are huge movie fans, like myself, so I was wondering if anyone else was a big fan of this guy. I was running through the cable listings tonight and noticed that one of my favorite movies of all time - Love Liza - was on a bit later. It's a very difficult movie to watch, but wow.....what an amazingly penetrating and 'real' performance this guy gave. I usually get a kick out of his supporting and cameo gigs, but this is totally different. But aside from this one, the guy was just great in films like Cold Mountain, Patch Adams, Boogie Nights, etc. He's a very versatile, smart actor.

156382[/snapback]

I think he's great, as well. He was very good in Almost Famous. Haven't seen love liza, but will try.

Nice Rochester connection, as well.

I was a much bigger fan of his partner from "miami vice", don johnson!

:D

156382[/snapback]

156382[/snapback]

Great actor, even in small character parts like in The Talented Mr. Ripley, he shines...have you seen Owning Mahoney, a rare starring role for him???

Guest BRH as guest

One PSH movie that hasn't been mentioned is "Flawless," in which he played as a drag queen opposite Robert DeNiro, who played a retired cop who'd had a stroke. (No, not that kind of stroke.) He absolutely stole the movie from DeNiro, which is pretty hard to do.

PSH wrestled and played baseball for Fairport at the same time I was at Penfield. His mother is Monroe County Family Court Judge Marilyn O'Connor, who made legal headlines a couple of years ago when she ordered a drug-abusing woman not to have any more kids.

i'm a big fan of his work as well, superb actor: i could safely recommend any of these films.

the big lebowski-coen brothers

happiness-todd solondz(very disturbing, excellent performances)

punch drunk love-paul thomas anderson

boogie nights-paul thomas anderson

the talented mr. ripley-anthony minghella

magnolia-paul thomas anderson

almost famous-cameron crowe

owning mahowny-richard kwietniowski

i'm a big fan of his work as well, superb actor: i could safely recommend any of these films.

the big lebowski-coen brothers

happiness-todd solondz(very disturbing, excellent performances)

punch drunk love-paul thomas anderson

boogie nights-paul thomas anderson

the talented mr. ripley-anthony minghella

magnolia-paul thomas anderson

almost famous-cameron crowe

owning mahowny-richard kwietniowski

156710[/snapback]

I agree completely. I've seden all of these. He can be completely different from movie to movie: his pathetic character in Boogie Nights is completely different from the rich jerk he plays in The Talented Mr. Ripley, which is completely different from his version of Lester Bangs in Almost Famous, and the male nurse in Magnolia. Great actor.

I did not know he was from Rochester.

I agree completely.  I've seden all of these.  He can be completely different from movie to movie: his pathetic character in Boogie Nights is completely different from the rich jerk he plays in The Talented Mr. Ripley, which is completely different from his version of Lester Bangs in Almost Famous, and the male nurse in Magnolia.  Great actor.

I did not know he was from Rochester.

156714[/snapback]

Excellent point.....I completely agree, he's oneof the most versatile actors in Hollywood today.....he typically makes a scene his own. I know it's pointless to complain about it, but it just makes me ill that no-talent pretty boys like Ben Affleck are all over the place with these blockbuster films (that mostly SUCK), and then you have a whole handful of great little gems that get little or no advetising money allocated to them. I think it's better than it was ten years ago, though. Independent films are garnering more buzz, and festivals such as Sundance and Cannes are more popular than ever.

It's kind of the same with music. I posted a while back about wanting to expand my music collection with some REAL music, and not just the top 40 or more popular artists. There were some truly great suggestions from the people on this board, and I've added a few nice titles to my collection that I would have never known about otherwise.