David Harris

stony

I usually never hinge my posts or thoughts centered around one specific player, especially when it comes to free agency with the Bills. However...

Much of the chatter on the board has centered around the defense and the need to upgrade it at specific positions, mainly LB and DL. I know Nix said he wasn't going to use FA as the primary rebuilding tool, but, signing a guy like Harris fixes the Bills in a number of ways.

1)Two ILB are set w/ him and Poz. Poz instantly becomes better. W/ Moats as a possible OLB, we only need one more starter. Those 3 form a young core w/ upside.

2) Allows us to pick in 2nd, or trade back into the 1st for quality OT. This cannot be understated. We need another starting quality tackle.

3) 1st pick can be DL w/o out worrying about reaching for OT or other position. Thus, we have a top 5 pick on DL and a new underrated/very good LB as starters going forward.

This would be huge for the Bills. The Jets have allocated huge contracts to D'Brickshaw, Revis (plus more), and Mangold. They have publicly stated that Holmes and Edwards are high-priorities to sign this offseason. I suppose these can only be good things for the Bills. I've asked this before, does Rex think scheme > players. If so, make a push at this guy.

Enjoy, debate, discuss, or hate.

I think your def right about him being a free agent this coming offseason but something tells me they wont taregt him. Hes a good player and will want a lot of money and the FAs this team will sign are guys like andra davis and dwan edwards...one or two stop gaps until we can fill it with a draft pick

Would love to see him here tho. He is a solid LB

I think you can still get a pretty good value for a top-shelf free agent LB. They're generally paid less than DLs or CBs, so it might be our best shot to go after a big-money free agent. What do you think he'll get? DeMeco Ryans landed a $8M/season deal, but I think Ryans is a more talented player. I'd guess 6 years, $45M might do it. That's less than we paid Derrick Dockery.

Would love to see 2 or 3 SOLID free agent acquisitions but I have my doubts as to whether this front office will do that. Harris would be a good pick-up.

I really believe in order for us to make the playoffs next year we can't simply rely on our drafted/undrafted picks, we must pick up a few guys via free agency. Even if it's 2 guys who can start, that would help so much. Lord knows we will have the cap room (if there is a cap) and should have the money.

I know we've been hit with a lot of injuries but we still need some serious help on defense.

Would love to see 2 or 3 SOLID free agent acquisitions but I have my doubts as to whether this front office will do that. Harris would be a good pick-up.

I really believe in order for us to make the playoffs next year we can't simply rely on our drafted/undrafted picks, we must pick up a few guys via free agency. Even if it's 2 guys who can start, that would help so much. Lord knows we will have the cap room (if there is a cap) and should have the money.

I know we've been hit with a lot of injuries but we still need some serious help on defense.

That is exactly my rationale. We don't need a Ngata type of signing to surge forward. But adding a starter or two via FA is huge.

I felt like he was a mid/ to upper-mid level signing at first, but now I think he's looking at a 40mil type of contract. Probably way too much. I just think getting someone like him has such a positive trickle-down affect on the roster and drafting procedure.

I usually never hinge my posts or thoughts centered around one specific player, especially when it comes to free agency with the Bills. However...

Much of the chatter on the board has centered around the defense and the need to upgrade it at specific positions, mainly LB and DL. I know Nix said he wasn't going to use FA as the primary rebuilding tool, but, signing a guy like Harris fixes the Bills in a number of ways.

1)Two ILB are set w/ him and Poz. Poz instantly becomes better. W/ Moats as a possible OLB, we only need one more starter. Those 3 form a young core w/ upside.

2) Allows us to pick in 2nd, or trade back into the 1st for quality OT. This cannot be understated. We need another starting quality tackle.

3) 1st pick can be DL w/o out worrying about reaching for OT or other position. Thus, we have a top 5 pick on DL and a new underrated/very good LB as starters going forward.

This would be huge for the Bills. The Jets have allocated huge contracts to D'Brickshaw, Revis (plus more), and Mangold. They have publicly stated that Holmes and Edwards are high-priorities to sign this offseason. I suppose these can only be good things for the Bills. I've asked this before, does Rex think scheme > players. If so, make a push at this guy.

I'd love to see the Bills get a guy like this. They'd have to pay for it, but it isn't crazy to say the addition of a top FA like Harris, using the right first on a DE and a high second on an LB could help take a struggling 3-4 in to a solid unit that could become a strength.

Great thread, signing someone like Harris would make a lot of sense for the Bills. He's a tackling machine that has experience in the 3-4. I know poz makes a lot of tackles, but Harris makes more at the point of attack instead of five yards downfield. And yes I don't think the jets will be able to sign, but it also depends on the CBA. If they don't reach a new agreement by March, Harris might qualify as a restricted free agent. If a new CBA is reached he will most likely be unrestricted, depending on the terms in the CBA.

He sounds like the kind of guy who would fit in with the Bills.

Linky

I'm right on board with this thread. A guy like Harris on D and a TE like Z Miller, Kevin Boss or (if the Jags were stupid enough to let him hit free agency), Mercedes Lewis for the O. Like someone already said, it can't all be from the draft and this approach wouldn't be crazy Redskins spending spree either.

Not to steal thunder, but I have been saying the same thing since mid season and sizing up the available free agents + the cap room that the given team will have available to resign free agents. I think David Harris will be right there on a platter for the Bills to sign. He is a rock at ILB. Sign Harris, make a run for OLB / DE Tamba Hali from KC, then draft DE Da'quan Bowers from Clemson with the #4 pick overall (he should be there and available). Well done, well stated post!